Utility Warehouse (Telecom Plus) Discussion

Options

Comments

• csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    wongawonga wrote: »
    I found this on their website re the Free ? Light Bulbs.

This service is only available to owner-occupiers who take our Double Gold bundle. We'll change all the light bulbs in your home provided we have an LED equivalent, and your existing bulbs are safely and easily accessible. The typical value of £300-£500 is based on 39 LED bulbs at an average retail price of £8 plus a £100 charge for fitting. Lifetime Guarantee only applies provided you have your landline, broadband and mobile services with us on the date you request a replacement; otherwise a three year warranty applies. Other exclusions apply (see full T&Cs). 15% saving based on a typical household using 3,100 kWh of electricity, where 39 traditional light bulbs are changed to LEDs, with an average reduction of 45W per light bulb (eg. from 50W to 5W) and where each LED light bulb is used for an average of 45 minutes per day. If we fit new LED light bulbs in your home and you cease to take your landline, broadband or mobile services from us within the following four years, you’ll need to pay a contribution towards the cost of the LED bulbs we provided. The size of this contributions varies between £2 - £8 per bulb, depending on how long your bulbs have been installed. This offer can be withdrawn at any time.

† Available to homeowners and tenants that are over 30 years old and take a smart meter from us.

How much does it take to change a light bulb again??? Lol, what a joke of a company
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Since moving into rented accommodation on Nov 30:
    1) They kept telling me my readings are 'wrong ' .
    2) constantly on my hands and knees giving readings while , taking pictures on my iPhone .
    3) eventually , an appointment was made to change 'faulty ' meter.
    4) The day before appointment , I receive phone call to cancel.
    5) appointment a week later. Miserable engineer turns up without a replacement meter
    7) I pay Feb bill ( how much it should really be , god only knows)
    8) cancel direct debit , the day after
    9) Receive letter with more expensive tariff because of this
    10) receive a letter in forming me a £6 administration charge will be made payable because I cancelled d d
    11) I send email to person I liaised with initially ( she is polite and professional ) Also to head office , informing them I'm contacting the
    Ombudsman

What now ?

Thanks
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Since moving into rented accommodation on Nov 30:
    1) They kept telling me my readings are 'wrong ' .
    2) constantly on my hands and knees giving readings while , taking pictures on my iPhone .
    3) eventually , an appointment was made to change 'faulty ' meter.
    4) The day before appointment , I receive phone call to cancel.
    5) appointment a week later. Miserable engineer turns up without a replacement meter
    7) I pay Feb bill ( how much it should really be , god only knows)
    8) cancel direct debit , the day after
    9) Receive letter with more expensive tariff because of this
    10) receive a letter in forming me a £6 administration charge will be made payable because I cancelled d d
    11) I send email to person I liaised with initially ( she is polite and professional ) Also to head office , informing them I'm contacting the
    Ombudsman
    12) if I missed the engineers appointments, I would've been charged £22 each time . Two days, plus inconvenience with multiple readings .
    How much do they owe me ??
    What now ?

Thanks
  • bazzyb
    bazzyb Posts: 1,584 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    csgohan4 wrote: »
    How much does it take to change a light bulb again??? Lol, what a joke of a company

What would you say is a fair price for a tradesman to come out and replace 39 light bulbs? I don't think £100 is a ridiculous 'value' to put on it.
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Just thought I'd give an update :
    1) i forwarded my concerns to email address on the u w headed paper.
    2) eventually got email from a person there , telling me that they are looking into complaint
    3) eventually got a call from that person . They are still awaiting a report from the contractor they sent out
    4) The first cancellation: I was given 48 hours notice. Not unreasonable I was told. I eventually , calmly put my point across after listening to one way traffic./ them trying to justify being useless etc . I did tell them if they never sent contractors out , the issue would've been done ages ago etc
    5) received a letter telling me I haven't been in touch etc. Standard rubbish.
    6) phoned up to give reading only to be told that the system is down. Can I phone again after an hour
    7) sent email giving my readings and concerns
    8) thankfully, I will be moving into my own place in June . They won't be moving with me ;)
  • JAspn
    JAspn Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Am I right in thinking moving services to UW (purely in an attempt to save on energy bills) is not such a great idea? Whilst searching to try to reduce my utility bills - I was visited by a Utility Warehouse rep. Offer has been presented which overall reduces outgoing expenses to a degree (savings made more so on mobile/phone/broadband) but the energy is actually a little higher than the ones I find online & here at MSE. But the idea I was told is the bottom line overall bill is a less. Since we are happy with our phone/broadband etc the reason for investigating savings was purely on our energy - questioning if its worth transferring our other services across? They reassured the services are second to none!!!, but having done a little research I am seeing a degree of negative reviews on the transfer across/customer service/issues with bills. Looking for feedback or experiences on Utility Warehouse - I am one who likes a bill/direct debit to be the same each month, not adjusted due to possible savings or possible over use......do you have any opinions on UW? (copied from my post on energy forum made in error)
    Many thanks
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    JAspn wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking moving services to UW (purely in an attempt to save on energy bills) is not such a great idea? Whilst searching to try to reduce my utility bills - I was visited by a Utility Warehouse rep. Offer has been presented which overall reduces outgoing expenses to a degree (savings made more so on mobile/phone/broadband) but the energy is actually a little higher than the ones I find online & here at MSE. But the idea I was told is the bottom line overall bill is a less. Since we are happy with our phone/broadband etc the reason for investigating savings was purely on our energy - questioning if its worth transferring our other services across? They reassured the services are second to none!!!, but having done a little research I am seeing a degree of negative reviews on the transfer across/customer service/issues with bills. Looking for feedback or experiences on Utility Warehouse - I am one who likes a bill/direct debit to be the same each month, not adjusted due to possible savings or possible over use......do you have any opinions on UW? (copied from my post on energy forum made in error)
    Many thanks

Avoid like the plague
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    ...do you have any opinions on UW? (copied from my post on energy forum made in error)
    Many thanks

There are 180 pages of opinions and facts on this thread.

Look at any comparison website and you will find out that UW are very expensive for gas and electricity.
  • NigeWick
    NigeWick Posts: 2,715 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    do you have any opinions on UW
    If you spend enough in the stores associated with their cashback card, you can end up spending less overall by offsetting that cashback against gas, electricity and etc.

Because of the way we spend, the only service we've now got is my wife's PAYG mobile phone. UW generally pay us £2.50 - £4.50 per month and we top up with £10 every six months or so.

You just need to do your sums and see whether they are worth your while in your personal circumstances.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • PupPup
    PupPup Posts: 46 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Sorry if this has been answered, but I haven't the time to read all 180 previous pages!

I've recently lost my job so I went to a local job fair where I met with a Utility Warehouse rep. He gave me all of the spiel and I queried the £100 joining fee (or £50 if you sign up as a customer first) and he said it was a 'mini franchise' of sorts and you soon make the money back. He said you can make about £100 per appointment and you then get 'residual income' whilst your customers are still using the service. There's also then the encouragement to 'recruit' others into your 'team' and you make money off their customers too.

He gave me some examples of customer bills (with cust info removed, obviously!) and using the cashback card scheme, many of the bills he showed me were at zero, or the customers were receiving cash back. He did me a quote and the gas & elec were £4 a month more and the landline was about £8 a month more, but I could save £20 a month on the mobile tariff, and by using the cashback card, it appears I could effectively get these services free.

I have two main questions from this really:

1. Do the majority of customers with the cashback card really pay nothing on their bills? How much do you actually need to spend on things to get enough cashback to cover your bills?

2. If so many people with the cashback card pay nothing on their bills, how do Utility Warehouse actually make any money? How can they pay their 'distributors' a percentage of the customers' bills if customers aren't actually paying anything?

Thanks in advance for any help.

PupPup
    I have autism, so apologies if I come across as rude. It may just be my communication problems.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback