Recessed gas meter box

Hi after some advice please. Somebody drove into my gas meter box and it has shattered . I've had a quote from the utility's company to disconnect are reconnect the supply on the same day.
But I have to find someone to replace the gas box. I'm not sure how to go about it.
Does it just fit back into the hole or will it somehow need fixing in place, I know your not meant to put any holes in the box apart from where the gas pipe goes in. Also need an electrician to do something with a wire apparently.
Are there firms who do this or do I need to find separate tradesmen? Any help much appreciated as this is turning into an expensive nightmare.

Comments

• Plumber90
    Plumber90 Posts: 280
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    It's only an earth Cable the gas safe registered engineer will do that as well.
  • Mr_da
    Mr_da Posts: 122
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 19 March 2017 at 5:50PM
    Thanks for the reply it says that it is the customers responsibility to contact a qualified electrician to install or relocate the main equipotetential bonding? Not a clue what that is, but does look like they won't be doing it ��
  • southcoastrgi
    southcoastrgi Posts: 6,298
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    If the electrical bonding is already there all you need is a Gas Safe reg'd person at the same time as your gas supplier
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
  • Risteard
    Risteard Posts: 1,868
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Plumber90 wrote: »
    It's only an earth Cable the gas safe registered engineer will do that as well.
    Actually it is NOT an Earth cable.

Earthing and bonding are completely different things.
    RECI & Safe Electric Registered Electrical Contractor
    NICEIC Approved Contractor
    ECA Registered Member
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Risteard wrote: »
    Actually it is NOT an Earth cable.

Earthing and bonding are completely different things.
    Why have told us what it isn't?

Would you care to add anything positive?
  • Risteard
    Forumite
    wealdroam wrote: »
    Why have told us what it isn't?

Would you care to add anything positive?
    Because I was correcting INCORRECT advice. This suggests that the person was not competent to give such advice.
    ECA Registered Member
  • Plumber90
    Plumber90 Posts: 280
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Risteard wrote: »
    Because I was correcting INCORRECT advice. This suggests that the person was not competent to give such advice.

Talk about being pathetic, the op is more likely to understand earth cable than bonding hence why I wrote it.
  • Risteard
    Forumite
    Plumber90 wrote: »
    Talk about being pathetic, the op is more likely to understand earth cable than bonding hence why I wrote it.
    Clearly not as they aren't the same thing. So if it makes it mean something to him then certainly he/she cannot possibly be understanding it. It's also clear that you don't understand it. It's not being pathetic - it's about not being competent to give advice about a conductor which is there for safety reasons.
    ECA Registered Member
  • Mr_da
    Mr_da Posts: 122
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Thanks from for the replies so far, but do I need a gas safe engineer or an electrician and how do you hold the box back in place when refitting new one into recess thanks
  • Alex1983
    Alex1983 Posts: 958 Forumite
    As said if there is a bonding cable at the gas meter, will be a 10mm earth cable then all you will need is the gas safe guy and gas supplier. If there is no bonding then the gas supplier/ gas safe guy may say its needs fitting before they will work on it, in that case you will need a electrician to run the bonding cable.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure