Marriage Allowance

Options

Comments

• Dazed_and_confused
    Options
    Agree with xylophone, if hubby is basic rate payer then there should be reason why you, as the lower earner, cannot apply.

You are probably overcomplicating things by not starting with his taxable salary (which should be shown on latest payslip), the other amounts are really irrelevant.

Just make sure that when you apply you do it for the correct year (s) applicable to your own circumstances.

And don't forget taxable salary isnt all that counts, you need to consider any other taxable income (benefits from his employer, dividends, savings interest etc) when establishing if he is a basic or higher rate payer?
  • teuchter66
    Options
    xylophone wrote: »
    Are you under 75? Had you considered contributing to a SIPP? A pensioner relative pays £2880 a year into an HL SIPP - he doesn't bother with taking the PCLS as at the moment he regards the SIPP as a potential inheritance for another family member.

Just about to hit 75 - I've been paying the de minimis £2880 into my SIPP but that stops when I reach 75.

Like your relative I'll take the remaining PCLS at 75 and leave the remainder to my grandchildren in my case (It becomes taxable at age 75 so some may get it tax-free)
  • teuchter66
    teuchter66 Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 10 March 2017 at 11:21PM
    Options
    soup22 wrote: »
    My husband earns about £44500 a year. However he pays into a share option which reduces his taxable salary to around £41000. He also pays a pension which reduces his taxable salary further to around £37500 making him a 20% tax payer We wanted to claim the marriage allowance as I am a non tax payer. However on the HMRC webite it states you can claim this if you earn less than £43000 but on the Gov website it says you can claim this if you are a £20% tax payer. This is confusing as my husband is a 20% tax payer but he also earns more than £43000. So can we claim the marriage allowance?

I've successfully claimed the MA for the past two years by making a pension contribution to keep my taxable pay below £43000.

So go ahead and claim (you must claim as the non-taxpayer) and don't forget to get it back-dated to 2015/16.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    teuchter66 wrote: »
    I've successfully claimed the MA for the past two years by making a pension contribution to keep my taxable pay below £43000.

So go ahead and claim (you must claim as the non-taxpayer) and don't forget to get it back-dated to 2014/15.

The transfer of Marriage Allowance only started 2015/16 so not available for 2014/15
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    soup22 wrote: »
    My husband earns about £44500 a year. However he pays into a share option which reduces his taxable salary to around £41000. He also pays a pension which reduces his taxable salary further to around £37500 making him a 20% tax payer We wanted to claim the marriage allowance as I am a non tax payer. However on the HMRC webite it states you can claim this if you earn less than £43000 but on the Gov website it says you can claim this if you are a £20% tax payer. This is confusing as my husband is a 20% tax payer but he also earns more than £43000. So can we claim the marriage allowance?

The legislation states that the condition is that:

"the individual is not, for the tax year, liable to tax at a rate other than the basic rate, the dividend ordinary rate or the starting rate for savings,"
  • provilo
    provilo Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    Is it any use claiming Marriage Allowance if my wife does not work?
  • Dazed_and_confused
    Options
    marriage allowance is about income, whether this comes from working is irrelevant.

What income does your wife have (you need to consider 2015:16, 2016:17 and 2017:18 separately as what might apply one year may not be relevant in others)
  • therightpath
    Options
    Looking for a bit of guidance

Applied for marriage allowance got cheque for 212 for 2015/16 in December wife earned 9463 that year
    Still waiting for this year allowance on tax code change
    Letter through today for next year code saying I have underpaid 212 in tax so

I will get my personal allowance of 11500
    Plus marriage allowance of 1150
    Minus 1060 for the repayment

Does that mean I don't get any marriage allowance then and it only starts in April for 2017/18. My wife is eligible for the 220 this year too based on her earnings
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Looking for a bit of guidance

Applied for marriage allowance got cheque for 212 for 2015/16 in December wife earned 9463 that year
    Still waiting for this year allowance on tax code change
    Letter through today for next year code saying I have underpaid 212 in tax so I will get my personal allowance of 11500
    Plus marriage allowance of 1150
    Minus 1060 for the repayment

Does that mean I don't get any marriage allowance then and it only starts in April for 2017/18. My wife is eligible for the 220 this year too based on her earnings
    You should check with HMRC that your wife qualified in 2015/16. It's possible that her total taxable income (including savings interest, etc.) exceeded the £10,600 limit.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 17 March 2017 at 8:32PM
    Options
    You should check with HMRC that your wife qualified in 2015/16. It's possible that her total taxable income (including savings interest, etc.) exceeded the £10,600 limit.

You can only count up to £5000 of savings interest, if the total with income goes over the personal allowance. ( eg the system wouldn't allow £ 6000 of interest and £6000 or earnings )

There was a similar case to yours, last year, when the lady posted about herself being allowed to transfer her allowance but her husband having to pay back his saving. She had more than £5000 of savings interest, though an otherwise low income.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback