Muddy paws

I have a springer spaniel and white bed sheets - 2 things that don't go together!! I am currently renovating my flat and the doors that are currently in, she can open so I can't shut her out of the bedroom. I have a throw to protect the worst but there are still muddy paw prints that don't come out properly in the wash. Does anyone have a tIps on how to get my sheets white in the wash? TIA

Comments

• krlyr
    krlyr Posts: 5,993 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Not sure on the sheets, other than perhaps Vanish or something else bleach-y. But for the paws, how about investing in a 'Paw Plunger', or training her to sit and have her paws washed at the door when she comes in?
  • krlyr
    krlyr Posts: 5,993 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Cotton dirt trapper rugs help in this household too - Splendid Pets do some reasonably priced ones, cheaper than the turtle mats.
  • Bleach.
    Use it all the time in my washer,
  • jetbag
    jetbag Posts: 186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have been teaching my puppy to wipe his feet when he comes in from outside, he has to walk around in circles 2 or 3 times on the dirt catcher door mat, this seems to do a pretty good job of keeping muddy paws out of the house.
    As for cleaning the sheets, you could try rubbing a little bit of washing up liquid into the stains just before putting sheets into the washing machine, I find this works well for lots of different stains.
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,539 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    You might try Ariel Actilift, I find that gets a lot of stains out, particularly if you can soak in it first..

I also have diirt trapper runners- but the carpets still get the odd foot print!
    Look at Watson Dirt Trapper mats- they might come up cheaper than Turtle
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggyduvets,26 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=160 £86 spent!!!
  • Yes, the obvious choice could be bleach.

However, we've used Stain Devil for similar things before and it worked great for us.

Is there no way you could put an obstacle on the way, so she can't get in (i.e. door stop)?
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,059 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    I wash my bedding at 60 degrees with Persil colour bio and the muddy footprints come out no bother.
  • Thankso for all your responses. She does have her feet wiped when she comes in but being a spaniel who is outside 8 hours per day, in this weather the mud get really deep into her and she'd need a daily bath to actually be clean! Given that she's outside all the time this isn't an option as her coat wouldn't be able to protect her with all the oils stripped!

I've tried barricades but she's determined! Once I get the doors replaced I'll be able to close them properly (she hasn't yet learnt how to open door handles!) Which will help enormously. I bought some vanish platinum over the weekend so I'll try soaking and washing with that - thanks for all you tips! Plenty for me to work through :-)
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Persil and a cap full of washing soda on a 60oC wash should get sheets clean. If pure cotton, and not fitted, a hotter wash

When I had cocker spaniels, I used thinner duvets and heavier (dark ) throws
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    krlyr wrote: »
    Not sure on the sheets, other than perhaps Vanish or something else bleach-y. But for the paws, how about investing in a 'Paw Plunger', or training her to sit and have her paws washed at the door when she comes in?

This is what I do. Paws are wiped clean when coming in from the garden and if we've been out on a muddy walk then he's showered down and wrapped up in his drying coat before being allowed on sofa/beds.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure