PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

sole plate of iron (cleaning)

Comments

• thanks MissScarlett, may i call you captain?
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    A couple of other threads copied from the Cleaning section of the MEGA Index sticky:-

Iron:
    - Dirty iron
    - sole plate of iron (cleaning)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • JWVOODOO wrote:
    thanks MissScarlett, may i call you captain?

Call me anything you like as long as you call me:rotfl:
  • Cullumpster
    Cullumpster Posts: 1,481 Forumite
    I had to do mine the other day, i used a cloth with some baby oil and a quick once over with the scourer, worked a treat :T
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    There is a stick you can get, one I use at one of my clients houses is made by Wenko (i think) the main component seems to be paraffin wax. Also make sure you follow the label for the heat, because I made a mistake last week. Something was cotton so i thought do it on 3 but the thread used to hold the garment together clearly had polyester in it as it started to melt :eek:
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • "astonish" or any of the other similar "multi purpose cleaning pastes" that are about £1 a tub.

cleans soleplate within 2 seconds .. (just done mine this morning!)
  • But do you clean it when the iron's hot or cold :confused:
    Squares knitted for my throw ~ 90 (yes!!! I have finally finished it :rotfl: )
    Squares made for my patchwork quilt ~ 80 (only the "actual" quilting to do now :rotfl:)
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    But do you clean it when the iron's hot or cold :confused:

I bought a block of beeswax which is perfect for keeping my iron clean.

I have the beeswax block wrapped inside a cotton handkerchief. I put the iron on a warm setting then wipe the beeswax all over the plate.

I wipe off the beeswax and dirt by 'ironing' some sheets of white paper kitchen rolls. This methond leaves the iron both clean and with a shiny plate which glides over the ironing.;)
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Now I know what to do with the block of beeswax ds1 insisted on buying when we visited a bee farm in the summer!
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • PURRING
    PURRING Posts: 25 Forumite
    Hi ,have just aquired my mother's old iron,any tips on how to clean base which is very grubby with some burnt on residue ?thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure