Do One, Debt!

Comments

• GoingToDoIt
    GoingToDoIt Posts: 491 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 18 October 2015 at 4:22PM
    Flu based insomnia is back! Ena, it is actually a lot of people wanting fridges delivered....Hmm.

The good news from today is that my friend bought my lunch and I'm paying next time! And I have hit my swaggy target of 849 - however- if you get to 999 points you can have £5 cash sent to paypal, so I'm going to aim for that now instead, cash is more useful. I'm about 9p off my inb0x £ target of £20 ( this has been a year's work, mind you) so I've put my sick leave to some use answering surveys and some hard cash is coming my way.

And a final bit of good news- virgin emailed me to say I was chosen for a free upgrade to first class on my train on Monday, so I won't need to pack any snacks as I shall be visiting the first class lounge at either end of the journey, as well as having snacks and drinks served to me on the train.
    Jan 20 - NST challenge
    Jan 20 0%cc debt 7700/7700
  • My first NSD! Although it was due to being housebound by illness. Got my inb0x pounds to £20 and requested payment.
    I'm hoping to make it to the bargain shop tomorrow to get some food items.
    Jan 20 - NST challenge
  • Orange_Ena
    Orange_Ena Posts: 1,297 Forumite
    Ena, it is actually a lot of people wanting fridges delivered....Hmm.

Oh :rotfl:;)

Hope you feel better soon, have a good week :)
    Debt Apr 15 - £6895.44 :( Apr 17 - £2500 :) Dec 17 - £560 :) July 18 - £199 :D
    CHEFS challenge (Cruise Holiday Entirely Funded by Surveys) - £685.79
    Every penny is a prisoner :D
  • wishus
    wishus Posts: 1,191 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Hiya - We tried to make a dent in that food, but yes, we were still eating it several meals later, and we still have the puddings! :rotfl:
    Back in debt again, but for a good cause. £17K to go

April Grocery Challenge: £198.36/200

Decluttering 852/2024 Awards 🥇
    (18/04/24)
  • Wishus I'm glad you still have something to show for it...:rotfl:

I've investigated the new broadband offer and I've hit a snag. The new deal withthe £100 voucher will involve an upgrade on my line so I'll have a new phone number. The thing is i'm really attached to it! Even though almost no-one ever calls it (or even has it). It's an 0207 number and even though the 7 does not mean anything thesedays, I feel really posh like I live in the city because of it.

I think I'm just being silly, I'll sleep on it and see how I feel tomorrow. Actually now I have written that out I feel sort of daft. :undecided:
    Jan 20 - NST challenge
  • GoingToDoIt
    First Anniversary
    edited 20 October 2015 at 2:42AM
    Had a lovely trip on my free upgraded train ticket! It took the sting out of paying £10 to swap the time. The guard told me that Virgin does this for customers every so often, and I use them a lot so it was a nice reward.
    I got free magazines, biscuits, crisps and coffee in the lounge, then chocolates, pretzels, mushroom stroganoff with rice and oatcakes with cheese on the train. Makes a nice change from my warm water and squashed sandwich!:beer: virgin!

Have arrived back and completed my forcast for spending for the next months and it's put me on a bit of a downer (improved by eating freebie biscuits) as I realise now that my next pay packet has to pay for most of xmas, as I'll see everyone at the end of Nov/start of Dec. then my tv went off- and won't come back on! It's barely 18 months old! Dr Google suggests this happens a lot and the manufacturer will fix it/replace it. It was bought on a cc, I'm sure, so -hopefully -there will be no costs involved but I am still off sick so I need telly!!!! and it will be a hassle to sort out.

The state of my finances suggests that I'll have to get over my sentimental outlook and get that broadband switch asap to get the £100 voucher, which I will do tomorrow.
    As I will get my refunded service charge on 1st Nov ( had another letter to confirm this) I decided to pay off my post office card today, therefore avoiding any interest going on in 2 days time.
    I checked the Dibenhams card and the interest is very high- almost a quarter! So I will pay that in full at the end of this month, before the interest goes on. If I stay on track as per my plan for the month I will be able to afford this....

That will leave Virgin cc as the next "urgent" debt, as the 0% ends start of December and I'm not paid until the 15th. I could pay around half of the balance from my free overdraft facility, and that would be replaced 10 days later by my December salary which is actually under less strain.

On the positive side...the non smoking is going well! Will be 5 weeks on Thursday. I have £14 in nectar points and £7 in advantage points so they are a hand buffer for a bit of shopping. Hopefully I will be able to stick to a shopping budget- it's been a while! As we seem to be on a "toiletries" theme, here's what I have in my stash:-
    7 shampoos
    3 hair mask conditioners
    1 regular conditioner
    5 foot creams
    2 holiday glow body lotions
    2 hand creams
    2 body lotions
    1 deodorant
    13 razor heads
    I'll have you know that's quite low for me as I buy in bulk when there's an offer on! And my shampoo is being discontinued so I bought a lot!
    Jan 20 - NST challenge
  • GoingToDoIt
    First Anniversary
    edited 20 October 2015 at 5:46PM
    This diary is really helping me to have an outlet when I feel scared, and helping to keep track of my money.

The TV seems to be kaput, I traced it's history and I bought it in Aug 14 on my Dibenhams cc. I've been in touch with the retailer, depending on how that goes I may need to instigate Martin's Section 75 refund advice.

I made my broadband switch- today it said I can keep my number?!? So that's been a fuss about nothing :rotfl: Hopefully I'll get the gift card just a week or so before the gift giving.

I also found the receipt for a top I bought in Asda, but have not worn, so I think I'll try and take that back – it's only £8 but it would pay for some top up shopping.
    I've just paid £85 off the Dibenhams card using the rest of that service charge refund I have left.

Contacted Hulifax and it seems the card is 0% until Aug 17... Well I did say I used to be good at MSE, must be a long deal. In any case I need to stay on track now with my finances. The unpaid sick absence is still on the horizon looming over me.

That's enough financial planning for now :)
    Jan 20 - NST challenge
  • Thank goodness for gumtree. I now have a mini tv blaring out. It was too quiet in here without one. No word from the retailer re: big broken tv, but I always have the section 75 refund to fall back on and in the meantime I have this little telly which cost £30 from gumtree. I could easily sell it on in future, as well, so I'm not too upset about the extra expense.
    Jan 20 - NST challenge
  • Hiya

Love your diary :)

I have more debt than you but man it feels good to be getting it under control now !!

Also have weight to lose! Waaaaaah!!! I moan about my weight but love galaxy chocolate
    £15900 loan (including interest) over 3.5 years to pay off...can I do it sooner???
    £940/£15900

Weight loss 0/28 lbs
  • Thanks Fuzzy...who dosn't like galaxy chocolate :) ?
    I know I'm lucky that I'm not in debt to the point where it will take years to get out, or have kids to worry about, but it needs to do one! When I finally get over this illness and get back to work my ability to take lunches and not smoke will really be tested!
    Jan 20 - NST challenge
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family