'Market Research' - Cold Call in Disguise!

I had a call yesterday which started with "Hello, I'm carrying out some market research, can I ask you a quick question"

Now, I have had genuine calls like this, and they have taken just a minute, so I agreed. Then she hit me:

"If you could replace any one of the following free of charge which would it be; kitchen, windows, driveway, bathroom"

At this point I asked for which market research company did she work for ;) After a game of cat and mouse for a minute she admitted working for Everest who are a home improvements company.

I took great pleasure in then telling her I don't appreciate unsolicited cold calls, more so when there is an element of subterfuge. One wonders what the OFT guidelines on these calls are, specifically the rules on non-disclosure of who they actually work for.

Still it was fun playing Jeremy Paxman making his give a straight answer :p
2012 Wins: 1 x Case of Lanson Champagne :beer:

Comments

• Zedicus
    Zedicus Posts: 246
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    These devious bar stewards are the pits.
  • Lube
    Lube Posts: 1,495 Forumite
    Agree with that.

I wouldn't want Everest if they were the last company to exist and all my windows and doors were blown out and it was minus 20 outside and I was freezing.

Even then I wouldn't want Everest, not then not now, not ever
    Zedicus wrote: »
    These devious bar stewards are the pits.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    It's known as sugging (selling under the guise of market research). It's frowned on by every professional body. But when have Everest ever behaved reputably?
  • HB58
    HB58 Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    I am getting these a lot at the moment (not from everest, although we used to get them a couple of years ago), it seems that they can circumvent the TPS by doing this.
  • Abbafan1972
    Abbafan1972 Posts: 6,862
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    2j319av.jpg
    Striving to clear the mortgage before it finishes in Dec 2028 - amount currently owed - £43,915.98
  • CharlieBilly
    CharlieBilly Posts: 2,319
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Dont forget you need a 2nd mortgage to get products. I was once quoted 22k for front of house house was worth at time 80k at best
    2j319av.jpg
  • jc808
    jc808 Posts: 1,756 Forumite
    MagicCats wrote: »
    I had a call yesterday which started with "Hello, I'm carrying out some market research, can I ask you a quick question"

Now, I have had genuine calls like this, and they have taken just a minute, so I agreed.

this has been your previous mistakes
  • Kite2010
    Kite2010 Posts: 4,304
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker! Car Insurance Carver!
    Forumite
    In future if you get any calls saying they are carrying out market research say no thanks and put the phone down. All they are after is details to sell onto other companies/charities.
  • Had one of these the other day, I was cooking at the time but listened in on what my partner was being asked. Luckly my partner knows to not give any useful information and had a nice long chat whilst leading the fellow in circles :D

The chap left a flyer and on having a poke around the net it turned out they'd been on watchdog a few times and were known to cold call via the phone a lot causing a lot of people to complain.
    Even if it was a legit 'market researcher', he did seem very interested in the contents of our house (got net?...what on?...ever heard of crimestoppers?).But according to my partners responses we live by candle light and use a two cups with a string connected to talk to our friends ;)
    ~"I don't cook so much since we moved out of reality...."~
  • and we could only dream about two cups with a string connected to talk to our friend...
    I am a cow so cannot speak Bullshine but I do recognise its smell when I come upon it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure