Dental Implants...Cheap???

Comments

• brook2jack
    brook2jack Posts: 4,563 Forumite
    Costs of dentist registration Portugal €250

Cost of indemnity , (not compulsory ) basic cover is free

Nurses need no qualifications,registration or indemnity.

Spain registration €18 to €50 a month

Indemnity €140 to €240 a year

Nurses need no qualifications, registration or indemnity.

Contrast with UK costs in euros for easy comparison

Registration €1190

Indemnity €4500 much more if you do implants

Nurses must be trained (two years) registered €160 a year , and indemnified (several hundred per practice depends on number of nurses)
  • L.S.D.
    L.S.D. Posts: 412 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Totally disagree as I have lived there & still spend a lot of time there. Swings & roundabouts, wages, goods houses all much the same in the end.
    Nice to save.
  • brook2jack
    L.S.D. wrote: »
    Totally disagree as I have lived there & still spend a lot of time there. Swings & roundabouts, wages, goods houses all much the same in the end.

The statistics talk about average income, not standard of living. Spain and even more so Portugal have a much lower average wage than the UK.
    http://www.thelocal.es/20130521/spanish-wages-below-european-average
  • brook2jack
    There is also no disputing that it is going to be much cheaper to provide dental treatment in countries where eg dental nurses don't even have to be trained, or registered or insured versus somewhere where this is but the tip of the regulatory iceberg.
  • L.S.D.
    L.S.D. Posts: 412 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 24 January 2015 at 11:58PM
    Bottom line, as per usual, we live in rip off Britain & no amount of excuses will change the fact that Dental Implants over here are a total rip off.
    Nice to save.
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,074 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    L.S.D. wrote: »
    Bottom line, as per usual, we live in rip off Britain & no amount of excuses will change the fact that Dental Implants over here are a total rip off.

<Translation>

You've now shown up my arguments to be based on misconceptions and false information - so now I'll just stamp my foot on the ground and use a trite sound byte. Therefore proving my case.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • I really shudder when folks go abroad and come back with an implant in one go. For a start, the posts need to have time to embed before the teeth are added. You need several visits.
    It might be worth saving for the future. I got 4 implants several years ago. As they were my front teeth it was well worth it for me but quite a few sacrifices had to be made to cover the costs.
    weight loss target 23lbs/49lb
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Toothsmith wrote: »
    <Translation>

You've now shown up my arguments to be based on misconceptions and false information - so now I'll just stamp my foot on the ground and use a trite sound byte. Therefore proving my case.
    Pot...kettle..;)
  • zagfles
    brook2jack wrote: »
    There is also no disputing that it is going to be much cheaper to provide dental treatment in countries where eg dental nurses don't even have to be trained, or registered or insured versus somewhere where this is but the tip of the regulatory iceberg.
    Yes, certainly less red tape. But is there any evidence of (eg) worse outcomes with Hungarian dentists than UK dentists? When I researched this a few years ago the Hungarians seemed to have an excellent reputation. I'd have gone there had I needed an implant.
  • zagfles
    I really shudder when folks go abroad and come back with an implant in one go. For a start, the posts need to have time to embed before the teeth are added. You need several visits.
    It might be worth saving for the future. I got 4 implants several years ago. As they were my front teeth it was well worth it for me but quite a few sacrifices had to be made to cover the costs.
    Well my friend had his done (in the UK) in two visits, including a bone graft, and the result was excellent. Second visit was just to fit the crown.

Flights to eastern europe are dirt cheap these days (my last flight there cost less than a train trip to London I'd taken a few weeks earlier!). Hotels at £30 a night or less are easily found.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure