money to saving

Good ~Evening everyone

I have just been sent, a letter from severn trent, which is asking my to make up my mind whether I want good interest to take a lump sum or a smaller lump sum and a monthly payment or just a monthly payment. The amount I have to having is 17 thousand pounds. and I am 62 and not working because of arthritis in my spine. So taking the monthly payment worries my that I might not live long enough to get the right amount. So I am thinking of saving a lump sum. I would like your help in were
to invest it, with good interest.

Thank you for reading this and a your help with this matter.

Maggie T

Comments

• Eco_Miser
    Eco_Miser Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Is this a pension from your former employer? Sometimes the monthly payment is much more than you could hope to get by investing the lump sum, other times it isn't.

For savings, see http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/savings-accounts-best-interest . Keep some in a high paying current account for use in the short term, and lock some up in fixed rate accounts.

Or would you consider investing some to get a better return, at the risk you could lose some?
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
  • IanSt
    IanSt Posts: 366 Forumite
    edited 19 January 2018 at 11:27AM
    madmags69 wrote: »
    So I am thinking of saving a lump sum. I would like your help in were to invest it, with good interest.

If you have definitely decided that taking the lump sum is the best choice for you then you next have to decide whether you wish to invest the money, put the money into savings, or some combination of both.

If you're happy to continuously keep checking on where the best savings rates are and what you need to do, then by judicially opening various accounts and regular savers then the interest rates you'll currently get might just about keep up if inflation is a bit lower than the current inflation rate of 3%.

But if you're not happy to do that then you could end up in a savings account where you're definitely losing a small percentage of your money every year because your money is not keeping up with inflation.

Because of the inflation issues above many people invest their money. However investing has its own set of risks and should only be contemplated by someone who does not need access to their money for at least 5 years and preferably 10 as your investments are always at risk of falls if the market you're investing in declines.

So how would you react if you saw your investments fall? If you thought you'd immediately sell everything before you lost everything, then investing really is not for you.
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,683 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    madmags69 wrote: »
    I have just been sent, a letter from severn trent, which is asking my to make up my mind whether I want good interest to take a lump sum or a smaller lump sum and a monthly payment or just a monthly payment. The amount I have to having is 17 thousand pounds. and I am 62 and not working because of arthritis in my spine. So taking the monthly payment worries my that I might not live long enough to get the right amount. So I am thinking of saving a lump sum. I would like your help in were
    to invest it, with good interest.
    Maggie T

It might be worth asking this question over on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning (see link below) section of the forum, as you might get some opinions on best way forward re lump sum v annuity there:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport