PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for Winter V

Comments

• mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    After two weeks of sub zero temps we finally got some snow and things have heated up :D
  • Breathing in through a scarf is very much old school, cold air into lungs can cause bronchospasms and that can trigger asthma. All the older people went about with scarves over nose and mouth in those days, also protected against the awful air pollution. Cold can incite inflammation in the airways and it dries up essential mucus. Cold can cause arteries to constrict and that raises blood pressure. Anyone feeling chest pain in the cold should see a doctor

I am back on internet thank goodness, I missed you all. My massive stash of candles is working fantastically, really helping eke out the 10kg bags of pellets, I have to manhandle each bag of pellets, into the house then up and into the stove. At the moment I have two pillar candles in metal lanterns and you can feel good heat from them, plus two dinner candles in wee willie winkie holders, stearin candles not paraffin. Ooh that just gave me a flashback, going to the hardware shop with a can and them filling the can from a big smelly tank in the shop, then filling a lamp with a wick for light and a little warmth in the outside toilet
  • I have let my house temperature drop gradually, by a couple of degrees and my body has adapted :D I certainly don`t feel at all cold. Candles are working brilliantly and I am tending to just have a few candles on in the evenings, I do have a stash mountain so it might well be different if I had to buy them now, I only burn stearin candles. If there is sun in the day, then I know that I will not need the stove in the evening. It is the fact that my body has adapted so well that pleases me, adaptation is one of the signs of good health btw

My bed is warm, wool duvet and a welsh blanket on top with wool bedding protector and an electric underblanket, which I switch on for half an hour. I wake up warm, not hot and that warmth stays with me. No heating on again this morning, it won`t be needed and it is saving me from carrying loads of pellets. Naturally I will do things differently if we get sub zero outside temperatures again and no sun

Also I absolutely make sure to take my immune syrup every single day, it is made from elderberry, rosehip and blackcurrants. I also grow a lot of blackcurrants on the allotment and eat them every single day, often raw in cereal as they seem to sweeten after freezing. Also wonderful for eye health
  • A fading blood red sky in the west and great swathes of grey fluffy clouds, looking up to the field nehind my garden, bare apple trees in silhouette against that sky. It certainly looks like the bleak mid winter, not a breath of wind and not a speck of life, apart from 2 fat rams staring in

These winter preps have got to include entertainment and I have just been watching cracker, 2nd dvd, on my revitalised laptop, one that gave up on me. I took everything off it and took it offline, after the kiss of life :D. That only leaves my very important m/s money and my cd/dvd playing facility. Having kondoed the dvds the other day, I am slowly watching many others before removing. Cracker was too spread out on my tv screen but is perfect on the laptop with good screen resolution and I get to sit sideways on a very comfy sofa with a plump feather cushion behind me. I just have to forget about the cadburys fingers lurking in the next room. They are for christmas week
  • Thriftkitten
    Thriftkitten Posts: 1,242 Forumite
    Good Morning Preppers
    Happy New Year, I hope all your prepping has paid off and you are all enjoying a snuggly warm winter.
    I have noticed that the threat hasn't been posted on for a while, is there a new thread that follows on for this, or is everyone hibernating?
    Thriftkitten;)

Tesco saving stamps £13.00:T

Roadkill Rebel No.31 July2014 Treasure £1.03p :D
    August 2014
  • alice-mary
    alice-mary Posts: 249 Forumite
    I have noticed that the threat hasn't been posted on for a while, is there a new thread that follows on for this, or is everyone hibernating?
    I was thinking the same thing too!
    I am all cosy at the moment but have been looking at the weather in the USA right now and wondering if any of it will head it's way over here to the UK...... now I LOVE the snow but oh my goodness, that looks horrendous!
    I have looked at different weather sites but I can't decipher the technical jargon so I guess I'll have to wait and see. In the meantime, I'll keep the stores (food, water and fuel) topped up and keep an eye on the forecast.

Stay warm and safe everybody,

Alice
    xx
    Debts in March 2007:
    Loan £24,180 Argos Card £2000 C Card £2000 O/draft £2000 Mortgage £113,000
    Debts in Jan 2020:Loan £2900 Sister £0
    Argos Card £0 :j C Card £0 O/draft £0 :j
    Mortgage £96,000 (finally on a repayment mortgage :) )
    Getting there slowly .....
  • Morning, we're not too bad down here in Hampshire this morning it's 2 deg out there but with the brusque wind it's more like -3 deg outside this morning. I know it's winter and cold when the first thing I do in the morning by way of housework is clear the wood burner of ashes and lay up todays fire ready to go before making the morning cuppa!
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    I've been looking at the pics of America too, looks really miserable that! We've still got frozen snow lying- not deep - and it's currently minus 3.
  • pipkin71
    pipkin71 Posts: 21,821 Forumite
    It's cold here but not too cold. I use the room thermometer in the kitchen as a guide - it's been known to drop below 14 degrees some mornings when I first get up. I have the windows open but will close those before I get my girls up as they complain, otherwise :) They think it's freezing whereas I think it's crisp :rotfl:
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I have been doing the maths and working out the cost of heating my home with wood pellets v electric plus the cost of heating the water, (physics stuff) wood pellets are now in short supply in europe and have increased in price due to several pellet power stations coming online and shortage of suitable wood. It actually works out far cheaper to heat individual rooms with electric, only because of the fanatastic insulation here so no energy loss. I have told my two neighbours as they were starting to fret over the pellet price.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback