Add your feedback on energy supplier Powershop

Comments

• Tafrock
    Tafrock Posts: 747 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 17 November 2017 at 5:00PM
    Just done a comparison. For me iresa is cheapest at 55 pounds cheaper closely followed by ayro. However I am comparing them to my easy saver promise. Buying the heavily discounted powerpacks easily beats both those for me by around 60 pounds
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    It’s not Iresa; I’ve been there and got the scars to show for it. There are good deals out there, you just have to look (at both PCWs and cashback sites).
  • Tafrock
    I've looked on many comparison sites and for my usage I can't beat powershop. Though if I wasn't In credit and just joined now I could due to the small discounts on offer for March which are beatable. However I have maxed out on November through til February future powerpacks . And for me those rates are unbeatable
  • fewkeste
    fewkeste Posts: 534 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hengus wrote: »
    It’s not Iresa; I’ve been there and got the scars to show for it. There are good deals out there, you just have to look (at both PCWs and cashback sites).

For me the next best value after Iresa (which I won't go near) is OneSelect, although I understand they have been having trouble with their website/portal at the moment.

Who are you going with?
  • Tafrock
    Ain't it strange. One select are only 12th in list on mse comparison for me (3pounds dearer). Powershop easy saver November is 2 pounds cheaper and 10th in list

I find the easiest way to compare powershop is to put your tariff as powershop standard variable. Then take off how much the app says you've saved off standard variable rates which it tells you when you first enter the app in my case 93.82 in 5 months. Powershop standard variable is 55 pounds dearer than my cheapest offer from iresa. Therefore I calculate I'm 38 pounds better off after just 5 months of usage. So if I don't buy anymore powerpacks in the next 7 months I'm already 38 pounds better off. The saving will obviously increase when I do buy discounted powerpacks
  • fewkeste
    fewkeste Posts: 534 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Tafrock wrote: »
    Ain't it strange. One select are only 12th in list on mse comparison for me (3pounds dearer). Powershop easy saver November is 2 pounds cheaper and 10th in list

I suppose it depends where you are in the UK. I'm in the East Midlands (Nottingham area) and I assume the different tariffs probably arise from different trade rates for bulk supply and transmission costs in various supply areas.
  • I think switching regularly may give better results - for example there are some £50 cashbacks with rates almost at market leading, and then you just move again as soon as the fix is up/cashback has been paid (if you weren't tied into a fix).

Sadly I can't because of my credit, there's too big a risk that they'll accept the supply and then demand a prepayment meter - then I'd need to try and re-join PowerShop, and they/npower may by then have sorted out their threatened credit searches and so I'd not be able to rejoin!

My friend has gone with somebody slightly more than powershop, but £51 cashback and can switch again in June/July (fix ends early Aug). Assuming she can switch again for a similar level of cashback, it should easily work out cheaper than just going straight for PowerShop
  • Just got my account review, I'm getting 12.097p per kWh (I think!) inclusive of standing charge.

Looking at the full cost breakdown on page 1, my standing charge is 21.8% of my 'full' cost, which seems high - but I guess there's no way round that for such small usage unless I find a supplier with low standing charges. Even using adjusted accurate reasons rather than the estimate from when I moved in, PowerShop are showing as cheapest in my area (Northamptonshire). My usage will go down further over the next year (working 100 miles away, away at least 1 night a week), but I doubt there's a supplier that will provide a lower standing charge whilst still having a reasonable unit charge!

So using the values that from my discounted usage (£16.04), 78.14% of this is energy, that gives a new actual cost of £12.57 (excluding standing charge), which divided by the units is then 9.45p per unit for last month. I think this is the first month all discounts have been over 25%
  • Tafrock
    My unit cost excluding standing charge worked out as 9.54 p for 249 kWh. Which I find extremely acceptable. On powershops website they only quote cost per unit including standing charge which is quoted as 11.68p again very reasonable. It's also the first time all my discounted powerpacks have been in excess of 20 per cent. Powershops standing charge I find very reasonable. Some companies charge in excess of 20p per day though you can find some as low as 13p. However the combination of low unit costs and reasonable standing charge works for me.
  • MrChips
    MrChips Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 18 November 2017 at 9:16PM
    Hi - I joined Powershop almost 2 weeks ago. I've been reviewing the app approximately daily and have been buying up any packs offering a 20% (or greater) discount. So January and February 2018 are all filled up at great rates, but I've got nothing in December, and I'm about £15 behind for November.

I've got a "simple saver" with a 15.7% discount on offer. Should I snap this up, or is it likely a better offer will come along?

What happens if I end the month in debit? Presumably I get charged at the standard rate?

Also, I've got a Future Pack on offer for March with 15% off. Should I go for it? I've already got £12 pre-purchased as overspill from the February Future Pack.
    If I had a pound for every time I didn't play the lottery...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback