Breaking Through, Travelling On

Comments

• earthgirl
    earthgirl Posts: 3,762 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Pleased the post is sorted. Imagined boxes of the stuff!
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Bought Dream House:www: Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -£116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again :j

Progress not Perfection
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    :o:D I know, I've made a fuss about it, haven't I? :rotfl:

One thing I'm definitely going to let go of is the sheer number of aloe vera plants. I was given *one* about 20 years ago, I've given some away on freegle, but I have seven - its just too many! They're very prolific as house plants, and it means I don't really have space to grow basil, and I really *want* space to grow basil :beer:

Need to plot family trips today - now we have probate, we need to tell the financial people and get our mitts on the money. It's only me that does that work, so I need to get up to Merseyside before the end of the century and get going. Juggling dates is the thing that holds it up, so thats the work.

Weeding and bonfiring would also be Good Things, as would getting charity shop goods out of the house.

Finding out what investments have what proportions of cash/shares/bonds would be good too.

I'm spoiled for choice, in other words :p
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Karmacat
    :wave:

Family trips that were planned are now delayed till tomorrow, cos of rail problems in my area. I'd bought a Super Off Peak from the rail company whose train I was using, so I can get a full refund, no admin charge, hurray.

That leaves me today ... so here we go:

- rearrange rail ticket for tomorrow, apply for refund for today's.

- must, must must phone pest controller. Sounds like something is in the cavity walls, actually, if it was on my party wall I'd say my neighbour was playing silly beggars with their plugs. As it isn't, I'd say something is scratching something hard _pale_

- I've swept upstairs, need to finish off downstairs.

- weeding or bonfire. Been working on the slim border that takes up part of the side return at the back, I want to keep it clear to put perennial herbs there that don't mind a bit of shade - mint, that sort of thing, anything that's nice and low, the whole thing was planted much too densely with very tall plants, it was horrible to come out to.
  • Karmacat
    And as usual, I've not done anything on the list, but I *have* been mse :j

Increase in NW of £435, in spite of expenditure, mostly because of a stocks and shares isa that just reported in, a £707 uplift. Percentage increase not wonderful in spite of record stock market highs, though I'm not quite sure :o (early days yet with this!).

Lots of medium-term financial admin to be done, but the long-term actually takes precedence, I think, transferring some stocks and shares isas to bonds/cash holdings isas etc. Pension funds too.

Snacks first though :)
  • Karmacat
    Lots of catchup maintenance being done, though the only financial thing was sending off for a refund of the train ticket I bought for last Tuesday: I was supposed to go to London with my sister (Diana's Dresses!), but there was rail disruption, so we held off. We went on the Wednesday instead, tickets were valid for one visit in any seven days which was really good. Lots of security at the venue and at our train station once we got back, but the worst problem we had because of it was that the cafe garden was closed, and it was stifling and very very very very noisy. Did I say it was noisy? We were some of the youngest there :D :eek:

Finishing off the pruning of the box hedge, but its delayed because every time I go out there, a pretty little cat, belongs to a neighbour, is curled up asleep in that exact spot :smileyhea I can't possibly move her! I want to do a bonfire today, I'll keep it as far away from her as I can, but all these trimmings have to get gone, they really do. As does a trolley full of [STRIKE]tut I can't bear any more[/STRIKE] charity shop items.

Financial admin still undone, I'm too ashamed to name it from my last post :o will try my best on that.
  • Diana's Dresses sounds lovely:j. I'd love to see that exhibition but sadly, no chance unless they do a national tour. Sorry about your transport and other problems though. I expect we'll all have to anticipate delays and disruption wherever we go for the next few weeks after recent tragic events.

I empathise with your not wanting to disturb the visiting cat. We have all sorts of newts, frogs, toads in our garden and every time OH moves logs or anything on the ground that has just been left there a while he spots some creature or other. We'd never disturb them so, as you'll appreciate, the job is deferred;). Doesn't make for a 'tidy' garden but there are more important things in life:)

We have lots of house martins nesting on our house every year:j. We love them, their return every spring is such a welcome sight. To think they return from over-wintering in Africa, apparently to the very same sites where they were born (I read that in a credible wildlife mag once but might do a bit more online research;)). The trouble is all nests have more than one youngster in at the moment and they start chattering about 3 a.m. and carry on until dark. There are several nests under the roof overhang just above the bedroom window so it doesn't make for a good night's sleep these hot nights when the window remains open, even for me who can sleep on a washing line as they say:eek:. I'd rather have them there than not though:j
  • Karmacat
    I've never had housemartins, I'd love them! My sparrows are loud enough, though :rotfl:I've had a couple of huge frogs in the garden before now - a local field has a sign saying "tadpoles grow in this field, please take care of your dogs", I kid you not, a genuine water meadow :)

The dresses were amazing - early ones horrendously frilly, but after 1981, almost everything could have been worn today. It was great to be able to peer closely at stitching details, and there was one dress where there were 2 zips on the outside, but none on the lining, it was very unusual - "design" was an understatement on that one, it was fascinating.
  • Karmacat wrote: »
    I've never had housemartins, I'd love them! My sparrows are loud enough, though :rotfl:I've had a couple of huge frogs in the garden before now - a local field has a sign saying "tadpoles grow in this field, please take care of your dogs", I kid you not, a genuine water meadow :)

The dresses were amazing - early ones horrendously frilly, but after 1981, almost everything could have been worn today. It was great to be able to peer closely at stitching details, and there was one dress where there were 2 zips on the outside, but none on the lining, it was very unusual - "design" was an understatement on that one, it was fascinating.

Diana certainly wore some amazing dresses, especially in the later years as you say:T. Sad to say, the lovely Kate, Duchess of Cambridge, often looks decidedly 'mumsy' by comparison,whatever she wears.;). Must admit, I'd have done anything for Kate's long, thick and lustrous hair when I was younger. Mine was always long but being flyaway it was a nightmare at times:(
  • Karmacat
    The bodice on the dress she wore to her sister's wedding was horrendous :o though I've always disliked that particular style - its an awful mix of formless and saggy around the bust, no matter what your underwear's doing :o

Anyway ... erm, I have the pest control guy turning up in 20 minutes, so I'm up, all the dishes are in the dishwasher, loos are spotless, windows are open, bed is made :rotfl: and a stepladder is near the loft hatch. I'm at a loss, really - most of the noise is at the level of the skirting boards on the ground floor. When I go outside, nothing is disturbed. Are they inside the cavity wall? Not a clue. Though there hasn't been so much scratching since Ginger Cat made an appearance at my front door and we had a good ten minutes saying hello to one another :A

For the rest of today, a bit more work after the pest control guy goes, and then a bit of fun after its stopped raining :j
  • Karmacat
    Pest control man has been. Several rats :( enough so that he's surprised he can't see how they're getting in. At least he said that ventilation spaces under the eaves aren't the problem. Also gave tips on controlling the cluster flies, and how to do it with the electronic device shorting out from too many fly bodies :( Plus, weeding as rat and cluster fly repellent! I've been concentrating on the hedges, and though thats coming to an end, I'm going to focus on the weeding anyway.

I'd no idea it was a problem in this way :eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family