What pressure should my tires have

Mishomeister
Mishomeister Posts: 1,051 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
edited 17 May 2017 at 9:31PM in Motoring
Could some one advise me on what tire pressure should I aim for in my tires.
I have the below picture by my petrol tank but don't know how to convers it to the same units as used in the air pumps at the petrol stations.
rvhpog.jpg

iKk6p

My motor is 1.4. Skoda Fabia Elegance 2006 Automatic

Comments

• Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Just a random idea, but have you thought about typing the BAR value into Google and asking for the PSI equivalent? E.g. "2.3bar in psi" in Google search gives me the answer "2.3bar = 33.35psi"

I often use Google as a handy unit converter ;)
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • You need to look at your tyres and see what you have and match the numbers from the tyres to those on the chart
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,199 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    the first column is which type of tyre you have - the details will be on the tyres.

Then use the next (lightly loaded) column (unless your car is typically heavily loaded!) and the numbers relate to the front and rear tyres.

Most machines give you the option of psi (which you don't have on your sticker) or Bar (which you do) so select bar and use those figures

Or you can use a conversion table like this one to work out the psi numbers.
    https://www.sensorsone.com/tyre-pressure-conversion-table/
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Just to clarify, it's showing two figures for each pressure. The first is in kPa (kilopascals), which nobody ever uses. The second is in bars, which should be on most pumps and pressure gauges, unless you have dug out a pump from the dark ages.

So for instance 230/2.3 is 230kPa or 2.3bar. Which Google says is 33.3 PSI if you do have a pump from the dark ages.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • katemore
    katemore Posts: 9 Forumite
    Check the tyres on the car then select the pressure that corresponds to the tyre. Google search can be misleading because some owners have different tyre sizes. If you drive mostly alone choose the pressure set on the left, if your car is fully loaded choose the right side one.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ectophile wrote: »
    Just to clarify, it's showing two figures for each pressure. The first is in kPa (kilopascals), which nobody ever uses. The second is in bars, which should be on most pumps and pressure gauges, unless you have dug out a pump from the dark ages.

So for instance 230/2.3 is 230kPa or 2.3bar. Which Google says is 33.3 PSI if you do have a pump from the dark ages.

Well I certainly use kPa in my engineering calculations, lot easier than pounds force per square foot.

And in a happy coincidence, much like the near equivalence between ton and tonne, then 1 bar is pretty much 100kPa.
  • Mishomeister
    forums.moneysavingexpert.com35d23uv.jpg35d23uv.jpg
    This is what is written on the tyre. It looks lik it indicated the pressure required that is higher than on the chart above.
    Is this correct?
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    forums.moneysavingexpert.com35d23uv.jpg35d23uv.jpg
    This is what is written on the tyre. It looks lik it indicated the pressure required that is higher than on the chart above.
    Is this correct?

No! Absolutely NO...

The clue is the word "MAX PRESS" - that's the absolute maximum pressure the tyre is rated for, and nothing whatsoever to do with the correct pressure for your car. Which is what's on the filler cap.

Now, what SIZE tyre is that...?
  • Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    "This is what is written on the tyre. It looks lik it indicated the pressure required that is higher than on the chart above.
    Is this correct?"

No. That is the maximum pressure that the tyre can take. The correct pressure is more dependant on the vehicle and the load, and should be stated in your vehicle handbook.

Most vehicles will have a slightly higher pressure stated for a "full load". But please, refer to the handbook, not the tyre itself. Tyres are designed to fit a range of vehicles, vehicles are designed ( and tested, and safety-approved ) with a particular tyre specification in mind.
  • Mishomeister
    . But please, refer to the handbook, not the tyre itself.

The handbook refers me back to the table at the top of this post. This table has too many numbers on it so I can't figure out which one apply to my car.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure