VAX guarantee: can they reject a repair if I didn't register within 28d of purchase?

Options
Hi,

I bought a VAX hoover with 2 years guarantee like 1y 11m 3w ago (ie, we have just 1 week left of guarantee in theory). Now that I got to their site I see a section to register the warranty, I was trying to do it and they just list the last 28d as date of purchase, so further researching I ended up in this page:

https://www.serviceguidance.com/www-vax-co-ukguarantees-Register-Vax-Online-Guarantee/
If you have bought a Vax machine, you should go to their website to register your Vax machine within 28 days of your purchase and then you can enjoy the guarantee during the guarantee period.

I've got the original invoice and I bought it directly from them, are they saying that if I didn't complete a form until now they are not going to honour the guarantee?
If that's what they are saying, is that even legal? Can I do something about it? as I don't think it's fair that I am still within their offered 2 years and they could try to avoid fixing the product...

This is the info of the item we got, with not many details about the 2 years guarantee:
http://www.vax.co.uk/vacuum-cleaners/handheld-vacuum-cleaners/gator-18v-handheld-vacuum-cleaner

Comments

• mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    As a manufacturers guarantee is in addition to your statutory rights, they can impose whatever restrictions they see fit, in this case you have to register within 28 days.

However, you still have your rights given by law. Given it appears they aren't going to go out of their way to help you, and it is nearly 2 years old, it seems that you are going to have to get an independant report to state the fault with the Vax is inherent. You will probably have to pay for this, but the cost will be reimbursed from Vax should it be in your favour.

You should be aware though that as well as a repair or replacement, they can also offer a partial refund to take into account your usage in the last 2 years

How much was the Vax, and how much would a 2nd hand one cost? And what exactly is the fault?

It may be that if Vax won't play ball, and it's not an expensive one, it's not worth the hassle. Especially if the fault is user error. Before you go to the expense of a report, it may be worth just getting in touch with Vax and mentioning your consumer rights. This may nudge them into helping you a bit more, but then again may not!
  • mickael28
    mickael28 Posts: 111 Forumite
    Options
    mije1983 wrote: »
    it seems that you are going to have to get an independant report to state the fault with the Vax is inherent.

How much was the Vax, and how much would a 2nd hand one cost? And what exactly is the fault?

it may be worth just getting in touch with Vax and mentioning your consumer rights.

A lot of things you mention would be a first time for us, could you please help us to understand the following?

1. Where can one have one of those independent reports done? and how could I use it after if VAX keeps on saying that I should have completed a form 28d after purchase?

2. We paid £70. I've not researched 2nd hand ones in case they give a failure quick and then we don't even have guarantee. The problem was that today, all of a sudden, we plug the charger and the hoover doesn't seem to charge at all. The light doesn't come on and we've left it hours and it seems it still doesn't have any power. We're going to leave it overnight and we'll see tomorrow, but somehow, it seems it stopped charging.

3. And a more basic question, what are my consumer rights in this case that I could mention them? ie, couldn't they just said that they are imposing the 28d restriction so that they don't have to honour the 2y guarantee?
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,670 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    £70 is not a fortune for a rechargeable vacuum cleaner. Batteries have a limited lifespan. The chances are that a report will say the machine has reached the end of its reasonable life. Maybe a bit sooner than you'd like, but there was no inherent fault in the machine when you bought it.

So, if that's what the report says, you have no rights. I wouldn't risk the cost of getting a report.

My advice:- Buy a corded one, as they last longer and are cheaper.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    mickael28 wrote: »
    A lot of things you mention would be a first time for us, could you please help us to understand the following?

1. Where can one have one of those independent reports done? and how could I use it after if VAX keeps on saying that I should have completed a form 28d after purchase?

2. We paid £70. I've not researched 2nd hand ones in case they give a failure quick and then we don't even have guarantee. The problem was that today, all of a sudden, we plug the charger and the hoover doesn't seem to charge at all. The light doesn't come on and we've left it hours and it seems it still doesn't have any power. We're going to leave it overnight and we'll see tomorrow, but somehow, it seems it stopped charging.

3. And a more basic question, what are my consumer rights in this case that I could mention them? ie, couldn't they just said that they are imposing the 28d restriction so that they don't have to honour the 2y guarantee?

You're not claiming under the guarantee. You can't. You didn't fulfill the obligations, which can be anything including registering or wearing a pink shirt when you call them to ask for the repair.

Your claiming under the SoGa due to the age. That means you have to prove that the item was inherently faulty when you bought it and was always bound to fail. This gives up to 6 years protection for inherently faulty items.

For a low price Vacuum after nearly 2 years it's unlikely to be that, howeve, it's worth a try. You'll have to pay for the report from an independent vacuum repair or somewhere like that. If it does prove an inherent fault then vax have to reimburse you.
  • Jimmithecat
    Jimmithecat Posts: 244 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Try calling them up - I found them very helpful.

I had a Vax steamer that went wrong at 21 months - 3 months before the end of the guarantee - they ended up sending me a brand new steamer.

I had filled out the online guarantee - that I had not got a copy of - as it was an Amazon buy however I had an exact date of purchase which was very useful.

Good luck.
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There is another option, pick up the phone, call their freephone number and speak to an actual person. They may well be able to override any 28 day rule when registering.

It is also a possibility that as you purchased directly from them rather than another retailer they may have automatically registered your vacuum cleaner when you bought it, Dyson do this if you buy direct.

Added to the above even if they can't/won't register if you are extra nice and polite on the phone it's worth asking for some help troubleshooting as it may be something simple that they can talk you through over the phone. Go in all guns blazing and they are unlikely to want to help you.
  • Zandoni
    Zandoni Posts: 3,429 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Maybe you posted the 24 month guarantee registration form :)
  • mickael28
    mickael28 Posts: 111 Forumite
    edited 19 March 2017 at 11:04AM
    Options
    Yes, I'll try them give them a call tomorrow and see what they say. I was mainly surprised for those rules, as I didn't know that sellers can basically put any obligation in our part in order to possibly honour the guarantee... it sounds strange, but by reading the comments it seems it's legal as well. Interesting nonetheless...

In the original box, they just seem to put:
    For your free 2 year parts and labour guarantee, please register at vax.co.uk/guarantees

But they didn't mention that if you try to register after 28d of purchase, you won't be able to do it
  • Hermione_Granger
    Options
    Zandoni wrote: »
    Maybe you posted the 24 month guarantee registration form :)
    Seeing as it's online registration only for the 24 month guarantee, (and on checking cached pages of the website, it's always been online registration only) I'm afraid that your implication that the OP lies about sending off a non existent form won't work.
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,852 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    mickael28 wrote: »
    Yes, I'll try them give them a call tomorrow and see what they say. I was mainly surprised for those rules, as I didn't know that sellers can basically put any obligation in our part in order to possibly honour the guarantee... it sounds strange, but by reading the comments it seems it's legal as well. Interesting nonetheless...

In the original box, they just seem to put:

Your legal claim is against the seller. I realise that in this case you bought direct but the terms and conditions you have been reading are for a manufacturer's guarantee which would be an additional benefit over and above your legal rights against the seller. As such (and as has been pointed out above) that can have whatever terms and conditions it likes.

So, you either ask nicely and see if they will be flexible over the t&c of the manufacturers guarantee or try to enforce your limited legal rights agains the seller. Although you bought direct they may be two different legal entities.

As others have said, to do that you will need proof that it was inherently faulty and had not been damaged by misuse, excessive use etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure