Options

Comments

• MKS
    MKS Posts: 10,328 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    TrulyMadly wrote: »
    I've had a brilliant day today.

I've had this idea chasing around in my head for years.

One of the downfalls of giving food parcels is that it doesn't really solve a lot of the underlying problems. It's a sort of stopgap measure...like a sticking plaster.
    One of the underlying problems is lack of knowledge/ experience/ not being able to shop and cook on a budget.

Imagine picking up a food parcel and attached to it, is a volunteer with a carrier bag of ingredients who would go back to your house with you and show you how to cook a very basic family meal. Imagine the kids coming home to a tasty casserole. :T:T
    So ....you start with a very basic repertoire of 4/5 meals, costed out at between £2 and £3 per meal for 4 for example.
    There's lots of things to be ironed out....health and safety:o and risk assessments:o, lack of cooking equipment ....some families are without even the most basic cookery stuff:o

Anyway I did a pitch for some funding today and it went really well. I feel really hopeful that this sort of intervention could make a huge difference to people...improving their health and lifestyle.

There's an army of women out there who are savvy shoppers and brilliant cooks. If we could match them with the young families who are struggling it would be a dream come true:)

What do you think?:)

Absolutely brilliant. :T:T:T

Was once given a bit of advice in business... keep it simple. The more complicated it becomes, the harder it is.

There are also a lot of single parents/single people - young and senior who are savvy shoppers and brilliant cooks and some people just have 'time' on their hands. Would be a win win situation for everyone.

I would hazard a guess that the biggest stumbling block would be 'pride' or 'ignorance' (in the nicest possible way) and also 'marrying up' prospective helpers and families. Social media could be used ie local site on fb, then it would be 'families' volunteering to be paired as opposed to feeling that they are failing in feeding their family/managing their budget as best they can, if someone suggests it to them. Out of context, but a bit like a very large person not thinking that they are eating 'wrong'. When they decide for themselves that they want to loose weight and choose to go to a slimming club/search out a healthier way to eat.

On a local level, I am very proud of DD2, she cooks from scratch. She has converted a lot of DGDs friends Mums to do the same. Explaining that it is so much more economic to batch cook and then have 'ready meals' from the freezer. Speg Bol, Chilli (very mild from the freezer but spiced up for adult taste once the children's portions are out), curry (ditto as per chilli), pasta bake (leftovers or just over cook basic pasta bake - pasta and sauce and add extras (bacon, meatballs etc) when it has defrosted).

The same Mums look horrified (when I chat with them when I pick up DGD) when I tell them to use any leftover veg to make soup for lunch. Later have said that DD or DS loved making it and eating it.

Please keep us posted TM.
  • chocaholics
    Options
    Have booked childs ticket euston to birmingham £2. Thanks aau I saw your suggestion. Hope they pay up properly this time.
  • curl_girl
    curl_girl Posts: 4,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    curl_girl wrote: »
    Morning peeps.

Code on the other side for £10 off a £50 spend on alcohol today only on Amazon.

Really tempted....... Thanks to the poster.

Just quoting myself for the drinkers on the late shift. :D
    curl girl with a space - even though there is no space in my cupboard!!!
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 14,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    DM - how have you find British Pie Week?

According to John Bishop on Late Night With ... the top pie in the North is Steak and Potato (we would know it as Meat and Potato :A).

In the South? Bannoffee Pie :eek:

I ask you, I wonder if we are the same country sometimes :D..

Anon
  • chocaholics
    Options
    bubbs wrote: »
    Mine still has not gone collected yet:(
    I am sure it will be OK as others have been good today. I think Chris was right about how the refund was processed as I picked it up from a petrol station so maybe they dont know what theyre doing!
  • Savvybuyer
    Savvybuyer Posts: 22,332 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Savvybuyer wrote: »
    I am aware of two versions of the Alberto Pizza and both are[...] £1. I have Pepperoni and Cheese & Tomato. [...] It will be luck if you have them, or possibly just one of them, so don't go to M expecting to have them. I think it's certainly possible someone could find a flavour (or maybe even more - perhaps a long shot but you never know?) other than the two I have and for them to be £1. I don't know if I have found all of a range or not. I had none of them yesterday or before.

I was right - I now have Alberto Margherita Pizza (900g) showing me a SEL of £1. I've got that SEL in both of the stores I've visited tonight. So, the Alberto pizzas may be more widespread in M than I thought. I have no stock of the Margherita with the RTC SEL up, however that is good enough for me to say that it exists somewhere. I have got lots of stock of Alberto Cheese & Tomato:rotfl:. I have now got stock in three separate stores - people seeming to assume that that is full price or is not the £1 price that I was told it was yesterday, as I haven't got SELs for the Cheese & Tomato version anywhere. It may be that M haven't produced one - so there is no SEL for stores to put up: however, that may be (probably is) a wrong assumption as I've had multiple stores with no SEL for an item that was on offer before and then, later on, found a store that does show the SEL for the product and its offer price. No SELs for me for Cheese & Tomato, which I think is £1 but I have plenty of stock:rotfl:.

So there are at least three. Of course, having not found any of them at all if they exist, I do not know if there are further versions - maybe there is a whole range of them? (Even though three itself is enough of a "range".) There may be others. Any more for any more?

I now have (as from yesterday) the Pancake Shaker Maker at 50p RTC SEL - it has indeed gone down, that seems, as I thought it might a couple of weeks ago - given the amount of time it took to find it - not turned up until yesterday - simply because I didn't visit a store with it in until then though, maybe I think that's it's not likely to be in a collection store as it's not widespread enough to increase the chance of that happening. However, I now have it twice so maybe it is around more than I thought who knows? (Nonetheless, I did go through my six stores on Wednesday and had no trace of the product.)
  • TrulyMadly
    TrulyMadly Posts: 39,754 Forumite
    Cashback Cashier
    Options
    MKS wrote: »
    Absolutely brilliant. :T:T:T

Was once given a bit of advice in business... keep it simple. The more complicated it becomes, the harder it is.

There are also a lot of single parents/single people - young and senior who are savvy shoppers and brilliant cooks and some people just have 'time' on their hands. Would be a win win situation for everyone.

I would hazard a guess that the biggest stumbling block would be 'pride' or 'ignorance' (in the nicest possible way) and also 'marrying up' prospective helpers and families. Social media could be used ie local site on fb, then it would be 'families' volunteering to be paired as opposed to feeling that they are failing in feeding their family/managing their budget as best they can, if someone suggests it to them. Out of context, but a bit like a very large person not thinking that they are eating 'wrong'. When they decide for themselves that they want to loose weight and choose to go to a slimming club/search out a healthier way to eat.

On a local level, I am very proud of DD2, she cooks from scratch. She has converted a lot of DGDs friends Mums to do the same. Explaining that it is so much more economic to batch cook and then have 'ready meals' from the freezer. Speg Bol, Chilli (very mild from the freezer but spiced up for adult taste once the children's portions are out), curry (ditto as per chilli), pasta bake (leftovers or just over cook basic pasta bake - pasta and sauce and add extras (bacon, meatballs etc) when it has defrosted).

The same Mums look horrified (when I chat with them when I pick up DGD) when I tell them to use any leftover veg to make soup for lunch. Later have said that DD or DS loved making it and eating it.

Please keep us posted TM.

My two cook from scratch too MKS. I taught them a few dishes before they went to uni but they've returned teaching me stuff:T:T
    To do is to be. Rousseau
    To be is to do. Sartre
    Do be do be do. Sinatra
  • TrulyMadly
    TrulyMadly Posts: 39,754 Forumite
    Cashback Cashier
    Options
    curl_girl wrote: »
    Just quoting myself for the drinkers on the late shift. :D

I'm tempted:D
    To do is to be. Rousseau
    To be is to do. Sartre
    Do be do be do. Sinatra
  • Sad_Dad
    Sad_Dad Posts: 878 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    TrulyMadly wrote: »
    Didn't your job move you away from A......

Enjoy your viewing .....:)

It did unfortunately, I had a T within walking distance and an A about a mile away that I passed on my way home. Nearest store to where I live is about 3 miles away, not too far but I don't pass it on the way to and from work.

I get grief off the other half when I make shopping trips despite saving thousands over the last few years.
  • latest_flame
    latest_flame Posts: 927 Forumite
    edited 10 March 2017 at 11:59PM
    Options
    hello everyone

my first C&C in 8 months,

1x Jacob's Salt & Black Pepper Flatbreads (150g) £1.51 £1.00
    1x ASDA Grower's Selection Mixed Peppers (3pk) £1.00 £1.00
    1.19x ASDA Grower's Selection Loose Banana (order by number of bananas or select kg) (per kg) £0.86 N/A
    1x Haribo Starmix (1pk) £0.10 N/A
    1x ASDA Semi Skimmed Milk (4pt) £0.99 £1.00
    4x Kleenex Ultra Soft Mansize Compact Tissues (each) £6.00 £4.00
    2x HP Original BBQ Sauce Classic Woodsmoke Flavour (465g) £3.98 £2.00
    4x ASDA Chosen By You Wholemeal Pitta Breads (6pk) £2.00 £1.48
    1x President Brie Cheese (200g) £1.87 £1.35
    1x Barratt Flumps (12g) £0.10 N/A
    8x Gillette Venus Embrace 5 Blade Razor & Shower Holder (each) £40.00 £8.00
    Comparison total (compared products only) £57.35 £19.83

I havent done one for ages, would it work on a delivery?
    Cheers.
    And whom is it against?
    Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills