Options

Comments

• victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,600 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    :)
    The proposed new tarriff is on CEC .
    The annual projection by supplier and CEC don't match using same annual usage (kw/h) -
    (Gas is lower on one and Electric lower on the other) which is confusing enough but of most concern is when i do the calculation on the actual rates detailed by the supplier for Gas it is coming out over double the figure they are quoting in the text of the letter. :mad:

Who said switching was easy ? :(
    Are you calculating your anticipated usage cost using your existing tariff until it ends, then the new prices after that date?
    Or are you comparing the same gas usage cost on your existing tariff with the cost for 12 months on the new tariff?
    As already mentioned, don't forget to include VAT (at 5%) in both calculations.

If you are nearing the end of your tariff (49 days or less left), and initiate a switch, you will remain on that tariff until the switch is done and not face an exit penalty, if there is one.

Generally, switching is relatively easy if you let a new supplier or comparison site handle it for you. However, it can go wrong and you can get confused trying to predict the costs - and on rare occasions, suppliers have been known to get it wrong.
    Politicians will tell you it's easy - 'nuff said :)

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The proposed new tarriff is on CEC .
    The annual projection by supplier and CEC don't match using same annual usage (kw/h) -
    (Gas is lower on one and Electric lower on the other) which is confusing enough but of most concern is when i do the calculation on the actual rates detailed by the supplier for Gas it is coming out over double the figure they are quoting in the text of the letter. :mad:

Who said switching was easy ? :(

Please give us the details.

What is the tariff proposed? Which supplier?
    What is the anticipated annual consumption in kWh per fuel?
    What is the supply region or first part of your postcode?
    What is the annual cost the CEC advises per fuel?
    What is annual cost the supplier advises per fuel?
    What is athe annual cost figures you calculate per fuel?
  • Dougie_Bilbie
    Options
    Hi i was thinking of switching but you hear scare stories about big supplier causing trouble when leaving so is it worth the hassle also is it as straight forward and easy as it seems, finally is it better to stick to he big six or are the smaller companies worth looking at are they as efficient?thanks
  • Ads1
    Ads1 Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    Anyone know if there will be a collective switch soon? My current one runs out end September, need a good deal to switch to. :)
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi i was thinking of switching but you hear scare stories about big supplier causing trouble when leaving so is it worth the hassle also is it as straight forward and easy as it seems, finally is it better to stick to he big six or are the smaller companies worth looking at are they as efficient?thanks
    You mainly hear of the scare stories. The vast majority of switches which go through without a hitch rarely grab the headlines.

The smaller suppliers tend to be cheaper than the big 6 but they are more vulnerable to market shocks. GB Energy went bust but customers were just moved to another supplier - the worst that can happen is you may have to unexpectedly hunt round for a cheaper deal.

You pays your money and you takes your chance. :)
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • footyguy
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ads1 wrote: »
    Anyone know if there will be a collective switch soon? My current one runs out end September, need a good deal to switch to. :)

Follow the advice in the article 42-49 days before your current deal runs out.

If there is a new collective deal available, it will be shown on the comparison site that organises it. (and how it compares to the rest of market ;))
  • footyguy
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 10 August 2017 at 4:06PM
    Options

The article answers the question over whether or not switching is a big hassle. Have you actually read it???

If you find the whole idea of switching scarey (there really is no need) then stick with your current supplier, but ensure you are on the best deal with them.

It won't save you as much money probably, nor will you get any cashback if you go direct, but it's better than doing nothing and paying the horrendous standard variable tariffs you will otherwise end up on.
  • MrsWeetabix
    Options
    Cheap energy club does not show all the options for electricity suppliers. The cheapest is Together Energy I have been informed. Only 66% are shown with the club. Why is this? Which? is happy to give me the cheapest supplier. Just thought I would let your readers know as it may save them money.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 18 August 2017 at 1:36PM
    Options
    The suppliers can choose who they give their tariff information to. OFGEM decided this was allowable to make the market fairer and competitive, go figure !

And Which? want your address and e-mail to simply do a comparison.
  • footyguy
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    molerat wrote: »
    The suppliers can choose who they give their tariff information to. OFGEM decided this was allowable to make the market fairer and competitive, go figure !

And Which? want your address and e-mail to simply do a comparison.

So do the Cheap Energy Club. ;)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure