PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparedness for when

Options

Comments

• RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,658 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    kittie wrote: »
    I am thinking about getting a device to store enough electricity to run a lightbulb, recharge devices and so on. I don`t know what to look out for, I don`t want normal batteries but one of those hulking multi use devices that can even jump start a car. I could do with some advice particularly if you have one. I know I am wanting to prepare beyond very temporary measures now as I have just heard the news about major power cuts in future. We have been notified of a six hour cut next week for starters I don`t want a generator

Hi

You need a leisure battery (used for caravans and boats). Web-sites devoted to either of those would show you the set-ups.

Clas Ohlsen used to do converters (12 V-mains) quite cheaply.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • Hardup_Hester
    Hardup_Hester Posts: 4,800 Forumite
    Options
    I still wear mine & I'm 61 next month.
    Hseter

Never let success go to your head, never let failure go to your heart.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    WLL - my dehydrator arrived today too! The family have clubbed together and got me one for christmas, but decided I could have it now as we're a bit snowed under with produce. Its an Excalibur 9 tray and they got me a fruit leather plate too. Am reading through the operating manual and going to try some cherry tomatoes in it tomorrow. I know lots of ladies on here get really good results from thiers and it makes such good sense to store without using electricity. We'll have to compare notes later on and see how we do, Cheers Lyn x.
  • 2tonsils
    2tonsils Posts: 915 Forumite
    Options
    Although our calor gas is cheap compared to yours the electric bill is horrific...not because of the electric (we are very careful with that) but the things that are added on to it....I get one every two months and the last one is made up of

150 euros extra tax for the government...one of three installments then we start paying next years... (this is on top of personal tax)
    70 euros electric used
    70 euros local taxes, television license and surcharge for not using enough electric!
    Plus 23 percent VAT

I dread them coming, especially the one we get in January as we have to use the CH pump to circulate the water if we use it and it comes at the same time as our buildings insurance. We have to be covered for earthquake because of our mortgage and the policy is 650 euros a year!!!! We will be using the open fire this year if we can get some olive wood, at the moment they are quoting STUPID prices!!!

Off to have a good nosey at the P2S prepper board...I may be some time....
    “The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come. When in a state of security he does not forget the possibility of ruin.” Confucius (551 BC - 479 BC):A
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 5 October 2012 at 4:56PM
    Options
    rosieben wrote: »
    its £1.90 now :(

Yeh, don't I know, I ordered it thinking that it would be free even if it said £1.90 and got stung. Ah well never mind...it will be useful info to have!

Edited to say I also did not mean to sound ungrateful, just got caught because i did not look properly and thought that the price would turn to zero when I ordered - it did not give me a chance to withdraw the order as it downloaded automatically on DH's ipad, the work of the devil if you ask me!
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • catznine
    catznine Posts: 3,192 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Just thought I would check our torches, wind up lanterns etc., lesson learnt! one of the wind up lanterns doesn't work and one torch needs new batteries or bulb! Better to find out now than in the event of a power cut!

Good news is that the wind up/solar powered radio/torch is in good working order as are 2 torches (including the little led one we bought for our holiday to Greece recently!)

Next task to check out the thermos flasks!

Trying to think like we are in a power cut now and work out what we need! So far:-

Lighting - torches checked, good supply of candles

Heat - have a Gaz fire but need the gaz cylinder changed, plenty of throws, hot water bottles (if we have the hot water!)

Ability to cook - one camp stove and gaz cylinders, barbecue, trying to use up the last of the golden syrup tin so I can make a mini hob using the tin and a tea light! (yes it really does work but only ever made mini pancakes on the lid so far!:))

Communications - Trying to keep my mobile charged and have 2 old style landline phones, have one battery radio and one wind up radio.

Trying to remember how Mum coped back in the 70's :think:
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Sorry for not posting for a while, it is always hard to do so on the ipad, but now I am on my laptop it is easier to type. I have had a cold and not got up much, then started sorting out the spare room to take in students and been very busy, hence not much time online.

It sounds like I am the least prepared of all preppers here, apart from a reasonable stock of basic food. Still no torches and no windup radios, but I have taken a little step further in my quest to re-skill, I can now reverse-park the car! This means that I am able to take it out and drive it if I need to do so in an emergency! Feeling very proud of my achievement.

So much to learn, to get, to remember, sometimes it all feels quite overwhelming, it is a bit like getting into being "green", you feel that your own minute contribution is all for nothing and a small shred of despair sets in the heart.

It would help if the rest of the family were on board perhaps. So it was good to meet a few of you yesterday in IKEA, it made me feel much less isolated. And coming here to this thread helps me keep it real - and realistic! Thank you!
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    What I want is a solar-powered light for use in the bathroom in powercuts. The bathroom faces north and doesn't get direct sun in winter.
    I find this whole subject impossible to understand - how this all works -so please somebody just tell me what I need to buy and point me to a shop that has it! I think I'm famous in prepping circles for being the only person on earth who cannot understand banks of batteries and inverters :eek:
  • D&DD
    D&DD Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    Options
    Oh I am actually so cross I've had to resort to typing my annoyance on the IPad :mad:
    Just checked my cash stash as I was reading about more bank glitches and OH has thoughtfully emptied my box and forgot to tell me..the air is rather blu here at present!
  • 2tonsils
    2tonsils Posts: 915 Forumite
    Options
    Well Simmed, I AM now registered on the PS2 preppers site...but unfortunately it is sending me round in circles. It says I have to post my introduction but I am not being allowed access to any of the areas on the site until I have posted it.....including the one where I need to post the introduction. I am going to cancel my membership as its pointless spending hours trying to get on a Prep site when I could actually be prepping. I know some sites need to have security but that is too tight!!!!
    “The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come. When in a state of security he does not forget the possibility of ruin.” Confucius (551 BC - 479 BC):A
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure