That was scary; now to tackle the remaining mortgage

Hello all,

finally decided to do a MFW diary as I hope it will help to keep us inspired and the support from everyone will be a big help.

I posted a while ago on the MFi3 - T2 thread as my OH had been given notice of redundancy and his job was ending in Sept. I'm self employed part-time so the thought of being the sole bread winner was very very scary. The good news is that OH has been offered a job [on Fri 13th :eek:] with the same Org for 4 days a week, this will be reviewed after 6 months and might go back down to 2 days a week but it gives us a bit of a reprieve for a while.

This is a huge load off as his redundancy threat was hanging over us for nearly a year making it difficult to plan anything. We've been overpaying as much as possible and our mortage is now down to £51982 from £100000 in Aug 2004.

Thats enough for now - will post later with a bit more background but need a cuppa and a bit of gingerbread, with butter, of course - nomnomnom [£1 for 2 in Asda] after actually putting this in writing and getting started :T :rotfl::rotfl:

Comments

• Hi and welcome

Good luck with your diary. You have achieved so much already :T

MOOC
    Mortgage Free as of 31/5/11 :j:j:j:j:j:j:j
  • cha97michelle
    cha97michelle Posts: 5,818 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    I'm relieved for you that things have got better. You are sensible so you are only going to keep making things better for yourself. Good luck, and i hope your DH enjoys the new job.
  • poppyoscar_3
    poppyoscar_3 Posts: 1,566 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Good news about the job teapot!
    Good luck woth your MF adventure - you seem to be doing great already!
    PO xx
    :D2010 MFW Challenge No. 112 Mortgage paid in full 27/08/10 I was MF!!!:D
    But now I'm not - (Joint) Mortgage £104704.
    New MFW target £5000 overpayments by 31/12/2105 £400/£5000 = 8%
    SAVINGS TARGET - £25000 by 31/12/2015 £13643/£25000 = 55%
    No 17 Lewis Lane
  • teapot2
    teapot2 Posts: 3,260 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Thanks all - wasn't sure anyone would read this :o, I know I read other folks but didn't know if mine would be the same.

TBH cha97michelle while its such a relief that OH has got work, its not a job he'd have picked but there is very little going up here job wise. He was very upset about the impending redundancy and because of his age wasn't sure about job prospects [he's 56 which is not a brilliant age to be starting again]. He was made redundant once before years ago and it was so much easier then to get work but times feel so different now. So he's grateful to have work but I do worry about whether it'll be ok for him - there's loads of travelling in it. Oh well, one day at a time.......

Also from one of the other jobs he went for and didn't get he got an offer of some occasional freelance training work which he started this week. This will help as well and they were very pleased with how it went and have booked him for October already :j. He was a bit gob smacked though when I pointed out that he'd have to register with HMRC and do a tax return. It should be lemon squeezy though and I can do that as have been doing mine for years.
  • Hi

I have been where you are. Made redundant and the only breadwinner. Tears were shed but 18 months later things are much brighter and we are much closer to my dream of being mortgage free. I was one of 27000 to be made redundant from the same employer at the beginning of this recession on New Years Eve 2008. 6 weeks later I managed to get another job in the same building I had left a few weeks before. There is light at the end of the tunnel and things will get better even if it doesnt feel like it now.

Will follow your story with interest if I may.
    Mortgage Free as of 31/5/11 :j:j:j:j:j:j:j
  • teapot2
    edited 21 August 2010 at 7:08PM
    I said earlier I'd do a bit about us so if everyone isn't too bored this is the background. We're a lot older than most MFW I think from reading the boards. We always lived in council accomodation down south but wanted to move back to Scotland and the only way to do that was to buy SO we took out our first mortgage aged 50 and 51. We had quite a big deposit [being so aged ;)] and needed £100,000 mortgage which we took out in 2004 over 15 years ie up to retirement age :eek: :eek:. So, thats another reason to be MF ASAP as don't want to be paying it right up until pension age.

We were with Halifax for first 2 years but too skint to overpay as I couldn't get work at first. Then we went to Northern Rock and would have stayed with them BUT the crash happened and when our fixed rate came to an end the only rate they were offering was ridiculous so we moved back to Halifax and are on a fixed rate for 5 years at 6.04%. So, we haven't benefitted from the low interest rates but at the time we remortgaged, I'd just gone self employed again and had no idea of what my income might be and OH was only working 3 days a week so we needed to know what our outgoings would come to each month. We can overpay up to 10% annually and just put in when we can. OH was a bit sceptical at first but is very much on board now and keeps coming up with sneaky overpayments which is great.

Hope no one is asleep now after reading this! Just off to put the dinner in the oven - have a good evening everyone X
  • teapot2
    Hi

I have been where you are. Made redundant and the only breadwinner. Tears were shed but 18 months later things are much brighter and we are much closer to my dream of being mortgage free. I was one of 27000 to be made redundant from the same employer at the beginning of this recession on New Years Eve 2008. 6 weeks later I managed to get another job in the same building I had left a few weeks before. There is light at the end of the tunnel and things will get better even if it doesnt feel like it now.

Will follow your story with interest if I may.

Thanks for that - I guess we are in a slightly different position as OH was to be made redundant, I'm self-employed and that feels quite precarious. Our mortgage is nearly £700 per month which is quite a lot for me to earn before bills, food etc and it did feel overwhelming at times.

Well done you on getting another job - hope it was something you enjoy doing, that makes such a difference. Glad to hear it is working out for you and you are getting rid of the mortgage as well. Have a good day :D
  • cha97michelle
    cha97michelle Posts: 5,818 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    It is nice to hear a bit of the background story, so thanks for sharing. I'm sure you will find lots of people reading your diary and contributing. It is a really supportive board.

No wonder you were so stressed. Your payments are rather large.Hopefully you will soon get back on track with overpaying and feel more comfortable and then if your OH hates the job, there might be a better chance of finding something different with less pressure.
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,670 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Hello and welcome to the MFW boards!

I can sympathise with you. My OH was made redundant twice last year - I was 36 weeks pregnant with no 4 the first time (and didn't qualify for MA as earnt v little as s/e massage therapist due to economic downturn :() He went to a full time permananet position straight away and then the funding was cut and was made redundant again only 7 months later so no payout. With 4 children our only income was JSA for 13 weeks - with a basic mtge payment (before OPs) of over £1K! He's now a s/e contractor - on his 2nd contract - thankfully only a 2week gap between the 2, but this one only runs for another 2 months - and then it's getting to that time of year where people aren't really recruiting much...

Good luck with your quest! You've done well so far! :D Glad the impending threat has gone :)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • teapot2
    greent wrote: »
    Hello and welcome to the MFW boards!

I can sympathise with you. My OH was made redundant twice last year - I was 36 weeks pregnant with no 4 the first time (and didn't qualify for MA as earnt v little as s/e massage therapist due to economic downturn :() He went to a full time permananet position straight away and then the funding was cut and was made redundant again only 7 months later so no payout. With 4 children our only income was JSA for 13 weeks - with a basic mtge payment (before OPs) of over £1K! He's now a s/e contractor - on his 2nd contract - thankfully only a 2week gap between the 2, but this one only runs for another 2 months - and then it's getting to that time of year where people aren't really recruiting much...

Good luck with your quest! You've done well so far! :D Glad the impending threat has gone :)

Goodness what a roller coaster you have had. We don't have any wee ones but I think it must be more stressful if you have? Hope there isn't a gap before the next contract for your OH. Are you still doing massage? A friend of mine does it too and found like you that its one of the things that people drop when times are tough. Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure