PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

May 2017 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Here we go again folks! good luck!

Zip
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• Baileys_Babe
    Baileys_Babe Posts: 5,585 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Morning, firstly can I say a quick thank you to those that run this thread, you do a great job and also to everyone who contributes.

We have had a dramatic unplanned change to our household, we used to be a 2 adults and 2 children now we are 4 adults, 5 children, eldest is 15 and often eats the same as 2 adults:eek:

I'm not sure how much we will spend as this is a very new situation. I am going to try to spend ni more than £700 :eek:
    This is for food and drink, toiletries and cleaning materials. This month it will not include takeaways or meals out which I will track separately.
    Fashion on a ration 2024 66/66 coupons remaining
    80 coupons rolled over 0/80 coupons spent - using for secondhand purchases

One
     income, home educating family 
  • Hi, I would love to join. My month starts on 24th April and ends on 23rd May. I'd like to aim for £275.
  • elsiepac
    elsiepac Posts: 2,560 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Morning, firstly can I say a quick thank you to those that run this thread, you do a great job and also to everyone who contributes.

We have had a dramatic unplanned change to our household, we used to be a 2 adults and 2 children now we are 4 adults, 5 children, eldest is 15 and often eats the same as 2 adults:eek:

I'm not sure how much we will spend as this is a very new situation. I am going to try to spend ni more than £700 :eek:
    This is for food and drink, toiletries and cleaning materials. This month it will not include takeaways or meals out which I will track separately.

Wow, that IS a change! Hope everything is okay.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Old Style, Crafting and Techie Stuff boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    GC: May 22 £tbc/£250 Vegan 27-8-13
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,710 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I've been lurking on here for some time and would like to join in please. There are two of us, retired, and I'm aiming for £160 for 4 weeks (28th April to 25th May). In the meantime I'll be reading the top tips on here. I already have an inventory of what's in the freezer but will be doing one for the cupboard contents too and I'm sure I have a notebook somewhere that I can use to record spends and NSDs.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • RebeccaAnn
    RebeccaAnn Posts: 81 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Could I join this month please? I will be starting from tomorrow and going until the last day of May. I have a whole freezers worth of food that I want to empty out. I am going to aim for £150 this is a complete guess and includes the dogs. Good luck everyone.
    SPC #062
    12k in2019 #23 £8167/£16k
    Make £2019 in 2019 #32 £513/£2019
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Hello there, having lurked for the last month on the April thread, I would like to join in on this one. I am fairly frugal, a Jack Monroe, Jocasta Innes and Shirley Goode devotee, but very unwanted weight creeps on if treats sneak in to my trolley. Having to report spends should help to curb that.

May is my birthday month and I usually host a birthday tea at some stage.
    I also like to have friends and family over for lunch or tea fairly regularly.

So with that in mind, my food only budget is £140

That's more than I plan on spending most months on my single person household, but allows me a birthday tea.

I am very lucky, I regularly review items for Amazon so rarely need toiletries, I get those for free. Even cleaning items sometimes.
    So these don't really need a separate budget.

Month to run April 20 to May 20.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • JensFeet
    JensFeet Posts: 83 Forumite
    Me please!! Unfortunately I was in hospital for a month followed by a 2 week visit to my parents so have been very much missing from the boards but I desperately need to get back on track with the household budget.

So please would you be able to add me back in for May and I will restart at £280 for the month (1st to 31st May) for 2 adults and 2 children. This will be for all food and drink and household buys and hopefully includes extra purchases for when we are away in our caravan (BBQ and beer type spends!)...

Admittedly I have a very well stocked fridge, cupboards and freezers (STILL) and - I hope - these will see us through the remaining 10 days of April and into May. Also returning to the using up your stores thread too and improve my games of freezer tetris.

Many thanks for all of the work you undertake to keep this thread running smoothly!
  • PennyGrabber
    PennyGrabber Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    edited 20 April 2017 at 4:40PM
    Hi all! I'm in for £100 this month, as there'll be 5 shopping days.

Thanks to all who run and contribute to this thread.

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    On post 3 @Coxy11 you list all users and budgets, if remaining the same do we need to post our budget again ?
    Do I need it or just want it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport