Parking fine from UKPC (private company - not local authority!)

Comments

• roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    At our "ASDA" they patrol the Dis Bay spaces and call out over the Tannoy to anyone without a badge.
  • tbw
    tbw Posts: 5,137 Forumite
    roddydogs wrote: »
    What a great idea--you dont need a badge to park in a Disabled Bay thanks for that!

Please don't take my comments out of context. I am saying that you don't necessarily need to have a disabled badge on your car, you just have to be disabled ! Also, just because you have a disabled badge on your car should not mean you can park in a disabled space - unless you have a disabled person with you and are taking them out of the car into the shop.
    ELITE 5:2
    # 42
    11st2lbs down to 9st2lbs - another 5lbs gone due to alcohol abuse (head down toilet syndrome)
  • tbw
    roddydogs wrote: »
    At our "ASDA" they patrol the Dis Bay spaces and call out over the Tannoy to anyone without a badge.

Which is just what should happen - and the reason why I ALWAYS explain my needs at CS if I have somebody with me who has mobility problems.
    # 42
    11st2lbs down to 9st2lbs - another 5lbs gone due to alcohol abuse (head down toilet syndrome)
  • marleyboy
    marleyboy Posts: 16,698 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 12 June 2009 at 12:17PM
    tbw wrote: »
    Please don't take my comments out of context. I am saying that you don't necessarily need to have a disabled badge on your car, you just have to be disabled ! Also, just because you have a disabled badge on your car should not mean you can park in a disabled space - unless you have a disabled person with you and are taking them out of the car into the shop.
    Sorry to dispel your Myth, but you DO need a blue badge to park in a blue badge parking spot, regardless of whether or not you are disabled, it is why those with a disability are issued with them. otherwise any Tom,!!!!!! or Harry with a stubbed toe could effectively use them, feel free to check up on this.

The Blue Badge is issued to the person WITH the disability (after being assessed as to whether or not they are entitled to the badge) and not the driver of the vehicle, ensuring whoever is transporting them, to display the badge on there behalf.
    :A:dance:1+1+1=1:dance::A
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
  • tbw
    marleyboy wrote: »
    Sorry to dispel your Myth, but you DO need a blue badge to park in a blue badge parking spot, regardless of whether or not you are disabled, it is why those with a disability are issued with them. otherwise any Tom,!!!!!! or Harry with a stubbed toe could effectively use them, feel free to check up on this.

The Blue Badge is issued to the person WITH the disability (after being assessed as to whether or not they are entitled to the badge) and not the driver of the vehicle, ensuring whoever is transporting them, to display the badge on there behalf.

I understand what you are saying - I know you need a badge to properly park in a disabled space. I also know that the badge is issued to a person not a vehicle - but that does not stop non-disabled drivers parking in a disabled space and leaving the disabled person sitting in the car park complete with their disabled badge. 'Legally' OK but not really how the system should work. It also doesn't stop people leaving the disabled person at home and using the car themselves - again, there is a badge on display but, unless they are spotted jumping out and running into the store ie obviously NOT the proper badge holder, they will get away with it.

All I am saying is that there is a case for disabled people who do not actually feel justified in getting a badge for very infrequent use to be able to use a disabled space at a supermarket (NOT in council car parks etc). Its private land and provided they ask at CS and get permission I don't see there is a problem.

I certainly don't agree with people who clearly don't have any sort of mobility problem parking in a disabled space. Its those people that need a real clamp down, not people in the above category. It seems unfair that they so often get a way with it but people like the pregnant OP (who clearly needed a bit of consideration and flexibility) or really elderly old dears with a walking frame who are offered the chance to go to the supermarket by a neighbour once a month should be denied the chance.
    # 42
  • Tom125
    Tom125 Posts: 153 Forumite
    I agree with 'tbw' on this one. Signs in supermarket car parks often don't even mention blue badges / blue badge holders. The spaces are meant for all people who suffer from serious mobility problems (i.e. people who really need spaces close to the store entrance and with room to get in and out of vehicles safely).

I think if a person is in a position (be it temporary or otherwise) where they find it extremely difficult to walk / move (like it appears that the OP was) then it is perfectly acceptable for them to use these spaces. That is what they are there for. In my opinion, if a person is in a position where it is extremely difficult or painful for them to move, then using these spaces is not only acceptable, but also the most sensible option.

(For the record, I have never (yet) needed to use one of these spaces, and so I have never done so)
  • tbw
    uktyler wrote: »
    Supermarkets are big places, if its difficult to walk/move, how do you get round the shop?

If you have difficulty walking then get the shopping delivered.

Thats an unkind and shortsighted comment! If you ever break a leg or have an operation which makes it difficult for you to do the things you normally take for granted then you will perhaps learn to be a little more tolerant of other peoples problems !

People in this position get around either with a lot of difficulty or with the aid of a borrowed wheelchair from the supermarket! Pretty obvious really.
    # 42
  • oldone_2
    oldone_2 Posts: 974 Forumite
    edited 14 June 2009 at 8:52AM
    If I broke my leg, or had difficult getting around, then I would not be able to drive to the supermarket. If I had that much difficulty getting around I would shop online, or get someone to shop for me.

If you make these spaces available for anyone that thinks they deserve them, then the people that need them will not be able to park.

Many supermarkets provide wheelchairs for people with mobility problems.It is also not unheard of for disabled people to be accompanied by an able bodied driver to help them in and out of the car. These disabled spaces are also for these type of people.

To suggest otherwise is to discriminate against the disabled. It is also very patronising to suggest they stay in their house and shop on line.

Let us also not forget that disabled bays in supermarkets have no legal basis, and cannot be enforced with 'fines'.
  • tbw
    These people have badges that allow them to park in the spaces. This has been judged by medical professionals, and not by how the driver is feeling when he pulls into the car park.

So anyone can park in them at any time they want? As I stated before there are people without morals that will park in these spaces just because they know they will not be punished.

I went shopping with my son, who had just come out of hospital following an operation. I had no choice in going, as I had been in the hospital with him. He could not easily walk and all of the parent/child spaces were taken (and some of these people did not have children), but I would not park in a disabled bay just because it was convenient. We parked on the other side of the car park and I carried him.

Well bully for you! I guess your son was fairly small but how on earth do you expect a midle aged/elderly husband to carry his wife - who very inconveniently happens to have broken her ankle but still needs to get to the supermarket? Not everybody has access to online shopping, mobile delivery vans or other help and many people have to just cope as best they can.
    # 42
  • tbw
    PS Its nothing to do with morals - its all about common sense, not taking advantage and accepting that people do sometimes have a short term need of extra consideration.
    # 42
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure