PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Purchasing in Wales - Stamp Duty/LTT

Hello,

I was just looking for some information regarding purchasing a property in Wales and stamp duty/Land Transaction Tax.

My understanding is that on the back on the Autumn budget, stamp duty was abolished for first time buyers up to £300k. I have today seen information that the Welsh Gov are introducing their own 'Land Transaction Tax' from April 1st 2018, and the 0% threshold for this is £150k.

Am I right in thinking that to receive the actual benefit from the Chancellor’s budget, if purchasing a property in Wales, you would need to do so by April 1st 2018, otherwise thereafter the Welsh Government LTT applies?

Comments

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    biged670 wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking that to receive the actual benefit from the Chancellor’s budget, if purchasing a property in Wales, you would need to do so by April 1st 2018, otherwise thereafter the Welsh Government LTT applies?
    Generally speaking yes, I would expect the Welsh regime would apply. There'll be transitional arrangements if you're already in a contract which completes after 1 April.
  • davidmcn wrote: »
    Generally speaking yes, I would expect the Welsh regime would apply. There'll be transitional arrangements if you're already in a contract which completes after 1 April.

Thanks, the joys of living in Wales!
  • biged670
    biged670 Posts: 408 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi all, has anybody found any further information regarding the 'grace period' for ongoing transactions that will go past 1st April?
  • gettingtheresometime
    gettingtheresometime Posts: 6,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 17 January 2018 at 5:12PM
    Bear in mind that 01/04/18 is Easter Sunday
  • biged670
    Ours is a strange one, we're due to exchange contracts before 01/04 but completion will definitely be after. Just wondering if anything has been annouced regarding situations like this.
  • SDLT_Geek
    SDLT_Geek Posts: 2,491 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Land Transaction Tax is now to start at £180,000. It is not to have a first time buyers' relief.

We await more transitional provisions, but generally speaking we know that for a transaction completing on or after 1 April 2018, for SDLT to apply rather than LTT, contracts need to have been exchanged before 17 December 2014. See Wales Act 2014 s16(4).
  • biged670
    SDLT_Geek wrote: »
    Land Transaction Tax is now to start at £180,000. It is not to have a first time buyers' relief.

We await more transitional provisions, but generally speaking we know that for a transaction completing on or after 1 April 2018, for SDLT to apply rather than LTT, contracts need to have been exchanged before 17 December 2014. See Wales Act 2014 s16(4).

Please keep me posted with any information you may find out.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    biged670 wrote: »
    Please keep me posted with any information you may find out.
    Your solicitor should be fully aware of what's going on anyway (unless this is the only purchase they're doing in Wales!).
  • biged670
    davidmcn wrote: »
    Your solicitor should be fully aware of what's going on anyway (unless this is the only purchase they're doing in Wales!).

I've queried with them, they are waiting for further guidance from the Welsh Gov.
  • Also keeping an eye on this as hoping to exchange before April but complete after!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure