Tesco wrong prices thread part 4 - please post your finds here

Options

Comments

• ben500
    ben500 Posts: 23,192 Forumite
    Options
    PeteM wrote:
    I was told that the £8.48 Gammons were put in the wrong place, and that the real price was what was on the item.

That's good enough they put the item in the wrong place not you, simply call them up and tell you intend to contact Trading Standards and discuss the excuse they have given you and it's implications regarding their pricing structure and product placement, "somebody put it in the wrong place" is NOT a valid defence! You were mislead clean and simple, the placing of higher priced items within promotional material used to be rife within the supermarket industry and is still practiced widely today, such an excuse is not greeted with much sympathy by Trading Standards.
    Four guns yet only one trigger prepare for a volley.

Together we can make a difference.
  • MrSmartprice
    MrSmartprice Posts: 17,625 Forumite
    Options
    Well said, Ben. If the price is clearly displayed on the shelf in front of the goods, that is what you can expect to be charged. It is not reasonable to expect punters to read barcodes and tiny numbers. The indication is "clear and compelling" and if a higher price is charged, you have been misled. A price indication can be "misleading" without being false, but an offence still occurs.

Another issue is the Tesco policy itself. It says you are refunded and keep the goods if you are overcharged in relation to the price on the goods OR on the shelf. Point this out if necessary. This excuse about stacking errors is utter drivel, and certainly wouldn't hold water in a prosecution.
  • randan
    randan Posts: 393 Forumite
    Options
    Tesco Finest Rump Steak (Shelf £9.49 - pack £10.49 per kg) for us this evening and a Corn Fed Chicken (Shelf £2.49 - pack £2.99 per kg) for lunch tomorrow !!! Got two lots so that will be next weekends meals sorted as well.

The CS said that the sign for the steak was meant to be for small steaks but I just said that the steaks I had bought were the only Finest Rump on the shelf and they were behind the shelf label saying £9.49. She fussed a little about it but refunded them. £18 odds worth of steak and chicken for free.
    Your really can not beat a good bargain !!!
  • azz_3
    azz_3 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Check the prices on the 100% Cod Fish Fingers pack size 36 ..

I got charged £4.74 when i'd been buying them for £3.64 before.. I noticed it on my reciept and complained. They scanned all the packs and all the prices came up as £3.64.. Even the price card said £3.64

I got my money back and got the fish fingers for free.. The real price is £4.74.. A big increase in price.. It works out cheaper to buy 4 packs of fish fingers of 10's for less than £4.50..
  • karen51_2
    Options
    Don't bother with Wigan Extra. Nothing in and right prices on shelves!!! At this rate may have to move :rotfl:

Does the same rule apply to Tesco Expree. May try there as they seem very busy there?
  • ben500
    Options
    karen51 wrote:
    Don't bother with Wigan Extra. Nothing in and right prices on shelves!!! At this rate may have to move :rotfl:

Does the same rule apply to Tesco Expree. May try there as they seem very busy there?

It applies to ALL uk Tesco branches

• suniil
    suniil Posts: 447 Forumite
    Options
    Lil Bratz with big fashion ... found on shelf reduced to £1.27 from £2.99. But charged £2.98 (def. a mistake.. eh!)

Tomorrow i'll go and ask for refund (hope useful for somebody)
  • MarineBoy
    Options
    Just tested the theory at my local Hyper-place.

Summary:
    Price on shelf less than what was on pack of salmon.
    Was charged the higher (pack) price at the checkout - as expected.
    Customer Service confirms the error but points out that the wording on the shelf tag was slightly different so checks with manager who authorises the diifference.
    What about the mispricing policy I say?
    Manager investigates the shelf personally and returns with admission of it being their error and tells CS1 to give me the item free + refund.
    Manager disappears and CS2 returns saying "but I thought the policy changed 2 weeks ago - and now we only give the difference.", but CS1 gives me the refund anyway.
    I talk to CS2 about the "policy change" and she shows me that the relevant paragraph has been 'blued out' of the refunds policy behind Customer Service desk and she tells me that the policy has changed. I point out to her that the other 'charter' at the exit still shows the mispricing policy and she says that will have to be covered over too.

Has this cash-cow been milked to excess I wonder? :(
    This too, shall pass.
  • ben500
    Options
    MarineBoy wrote:
    Just tested the theory at my local Hyper-place.

Summary:
    Price on shelf less than what was on pack of salmon.
    Was charged the higher (pack) price at the checkout - as expected.
    Customer Service confirms the error but points out that the wording on the shelf tag was slightly different so checks with manager who authorises the diifference.
    What about the mispricing policy I say?
    Manager investigates the shelf personally and returns with admission of it being their error and tells CS1 to give me the item free + refund.
    Manager disappears and CS2 returns saying "but I thought the policy changed 2 weeks ago - and now we only give the difference.", but CS1 gives me the refund anyway.
    I talk to CS2 about the "policy change" and she shows me that the relevant paragraph has been 'blued out' of the refunds policy behind Customer Service desk and she tells me that the policy has changed. I point out to her that the other 'charter' at the exit still shows the mispricing policy and she says that will have to be covered over too.

Has this cash-cow been milked to excess I wonder? :(

Basically no! This is a nationally advertised policy in order to withdraw or amend it they have to do so nationally, I suspect the marking out of the board has been done by some egotistical manager frustrated at having given out too many refund and replace products and finds it easier to mutilate the signs rather than train his staff properly or allow them enough time to carry out the correct stacking procedures,

• ben500
    Options
    Which store is this out of interest Marineboy?

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport