PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Out of date cake mix question

Options
I have just found 2 boxes of cake mix lurking at the back of my cupboard (usually l am good at using things up). The use by dates are 6 month ago for 1 and almost 8 for the other. The packets have not been opened and they cupboard is dry and dark.

Would you use them or through them - they are brand ones eg Betty Crocker. l don't want to make and then have to bin it because it is off.

Many thanks
Stash Busting Challenge 2016 6/52

Comments

• ariba10
    ariba10 Posts: 5,432 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I would use them- No problem.
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
  • Stevie_Palimo
    Options
    It should only be flour and a few other dry items in the mix so I would say no problems making them up, Remember sell by dates a legal obligation and are really a best before as stated so does not mean you cannot use the item it simply means may not be as good and also protects the Company's that make the items from being sued.

Obviously there is exceptions to the rule here ie:- fish and fresh produce should be looked at carefully if the best before date has past.
  • atolaas
    atolaas Posts: 1,143 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Use them. They're just dry ingredients :D
    SPC7 ~ Member#390 ~ £432.45 declared :j
    Re-joined SW 9 Feb 2015 1 stone lost so far

Her Serene Highness the Princess Atolaas of the Alphabetty Thread as appointed by Queen Upsidedown Bear
  • pm2326
    pm2326 Posts: 1,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Definitely use them up
  • Kit1
    Kit1 Posts: 422 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you for all your replies - looks like l will be making cakes tomorrow :beer:
  • allybee101
    allybee101 Posts: 736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Go for it - as others have said, it's dry ingredients so nothing to go off. You might find they don't rise very well if there are raising agents (i.e. baking powder) in them as they lose their efficacy after a while, but it won't affect the flavour. Happy baking!
    "Does it spark joy?" - Marie Kondo

"Do not wait; the time will never be "just right." Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." Napoleon Hill
  • Kit1
    Kit1 Posts: 422 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I used the Betty Crocker mix today and made muffins instead of one big cake and they seem to have risen and cooked ok so now we just have to eat them :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport