Can you clean a urine soaked matress?

Options

Comments

• apples1
    apples1 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the advice but I've chucked it out. It really was awful! I've ordered a new one from mattress man for £60. Not nearly as good quality as the other one but its only for occasional sleepovers so it should be fine.
    MTC NMP Membership #62 - made it back to size 12 after my children & I'm staying here!
  • superjaggybunnet
    Options
    Bin it!

You can get new mattresses for reasonable prices at IKEA. They are pretty good for the price.

Cheap ones from Bed shed and the like are rubbish. My opinion!
  • tina68
    tina68 Posts: 461 Forumite
    Options
    Putting a towel on the bed and ' walking ' on it should get the moisture out too.
    This happened with an old cat of mine now in cat heaven and i washed it with disinfectant and filled acouple of hot water bottles up to dry it...worked a treat though we slept on the sofa for the night...be there for a ges with a dryer i think
    Tina x:T
    on this day 23/05/1430
    Joan of Arc captured and delivered to the English
  • falc_2
    falc_2 Posts: 77 Forumite
    Options
    You can wash it with 1/2 cup white vinegar, half water, then blot dry. Then clean it with detergent and lukewarm water in the same quantities, leave it ten minutes, blot dry. Then sprinkle bicarbonate of soda, leave to dry, hoover. Sometimes I also wipe with a babywipe to get rid of the smell of the white vinegar. But I prefer the smell of the latter to the smell of urine.
    --

the best things in life are usually free.
  • spice1225
    Options
    I used 2 Tbs of baking soda and 1.5 cups of water on the soaked area then took a small shop vacuum to remove excess then put a fan on it to complete the drying. Smells great, plus it is a great mattress, so purchasing a new one was not an option.
  • minimoneysaver
    Options
    For future reference, I have all of my mattresses in a bag type thing from Dunn Elm Mills. It protects the mattress from little accidents etc. I also have a waterproof layer and a wet the bed, type felt thing under where the childs bottom goes. Can't remember the name. I'll come back and add it later if I do. Sorry to hear you had a buy a new one. I think under the circumstances it would be acceptable to ask the mother/family of the child to contribute towards the cost of dry cleaning and maybe the mattress. I know that I would have offered, but I guess that is where we all differ.
  • financegirl
    Options
    I doubt you can rescue it, if it's soaked. Maybe you have a freecycle scheme in your area. Perhaps you could advertise in the wanted section of this, or the local freeads?

had to re-read that - thought you were saying advertise it!!!!:eek:
  • lilac_rainbow
    lilac_rainbow Posts: 2,211 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry to drag up an old thread but it saved starting a new one :)

My DD had an accident in my bed last night :( I have gone for cleaning it with a soap powder solution - if I trust it to clean the peed on bed sheets then surely it'll do the trick here. I blotted, cleaned, blotted, cleaned.... Several times & now it's standing in front of an open window in the sun... Wish me luck
  • msb5262
    msb5262 Posts: 1,619 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good luck lilac_rainbow...I think the fresh air/sunshine thing will help here.
  • SkintGypsy
    SkintGypsy Posts: 580 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I washed through a chair that the cat peed on with a solution of bicarb, washing powder and water. Just poured it through over and over, then water to wash out the soap. No smell after drying.
    Debt free as of July 2010 :j
    £147,174.00/£175,000
    Eating an elephant, one bite at a time
    £147,000 in 100 months!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business