Nationwide 5% saver and current accounts

Comments

• teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    But, as I said, that will delay the next sole FlexDirect openings (assuming it's still available next year). And by then they may have closed the 'loophole' I and others have enjoyed recently.

Our current accounts still have a couple of months to go with the 5%,but if you opened savers at the end of the incentive's life, missing a month's interest on £5000, total (due to a delay), wouldn't be catastrophic. (you would still get the 5% current account for 12 months, assuming it still exists)
  • No_Name
    No_Name Posts: 137 Forumite
    My flexdirect has expired, but still have a month to go on the regular saver.

Do I downgrade to flexaccount now or do I need to wait until the regular saver matures?

Do we have a concrete answer into the 3 months funding criteria if I downgraded to the flexaccount but wishing to open another flexclusive reguar saver once my current one matures?
  • Imvrasos
    Imvrasos Posts: 81 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I read in these forums that some people kept the expired FlexDirect for a year, paying in 1k/month. They then contacted Nationwide after the 12 month anniversary of the interest drop, restarting the 5% interest period, with no downgrades involved.

I already have a FlexDirect that expired two months ago, and I have been planning to do the above until January 2018. Is this still an option?
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,200 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Imvrasos wrote: »
    I read in these forums that some people kept the expired FlexDirect for a year, paying in 1k/month. They then contacted Nationwide after the 12 month anniversary of the interest drop, restarting the 5% interest period, with no downgrades involved.

I am one of those about whom you may have read, though I did not continue to pay in £1k per month;)

I already have a FlexDirect that expired two months ago, and I have been planning to do the above until January 2018. Is this still an option?

Nobody on here will be able to tell you if that will still be an option in January 2018:cool:
  • ericlered
    ericlered Posts: 17 Forumite

Hmm not sure... I just called them about this as my 5% rate ended about 18 months ago and have been on the 1% rate since. Long story short I was put through to a gentleman in the new account opening department who has been trying to get clarification from managers all day as to whether the 5% can be reinstated without having to jump through the downgrade / upgrade hoops in order to fix this.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,331 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Long story short I was put through to a gentleman in the new account opening department who has been trying to get clarification from managers all day as to whether the 5% can be reinstated without having to jump through the downgrade / upgrade hoops in order to fix this.

See http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=72034864#post72034864

Post 19 onwards.

Post 23 and post 32 replies from Nationwide.
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,200 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ericlered wrote: »
    Hmm not sure... I just called them about this as my 5% rate ended about 18 months ago and have been on the 1% rate since. Long story short I was put through to a gentleman in the new account opening department who has been trying to get clarification from managers all day as to whether the 5% can be reinstated without having to jump through the downgrade / upgrade hoops in order to fix this.

See my posts on this thread - especially post 17

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5589897
  • ericlered
    ericlered Posts: 17 Forumite
    xylophone wrote: »
    See http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=72034864#post72034864

Post 19 onwards.

Post 23 and post 32 replies from Nationwide.

Thanks, I had already read these posts and several others which is why I called NW to discuss. But even though the person I spoke to was "pretty sure" it could be done without changing accounts etc. he struggled to have this confirmed by a any of the managers in the new accounts opening / customer services department so I'm stuck in limbo for the time being, might call them again today.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,331 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    might call them again today.

I started with a secure message and was given the information at post 13.

I then sent another secure message citing the information given to Badger and had a written reply as indicated.

Perhaps you should put the case in a secure message.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Am I correct in assuming that, if I open a Flexclusive saver tomorrow and deposit £500 (max allowed), I could deposit a further £500 early in April,so that £1000 gets almost a whole year's interest ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure