Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • NX1977
    • By NX1977 24th Nov 12, 11:36 PM
    • 67Posts
    • 11Thanks
    NX1977
    Getting post for someone never lived at address - MBNA Debt?
    • 24th Nov 12, 11:36 PM
    Getting post for someone never lived at address - MBNA Debt? 24th Nov 12 at 11:36 PM
    Not sure if this is the most appropriate forum, if not staff please feel free to move.

For the last few weeks been getting post for someone who's never lived here. We're the 2nd owners of the house.

The mail has a return address of PO Box 189, Huddersfield HD8 1DY which a google search today flags as a debt collector firm chasing MBNA debts. One of this links showed the PO Box as being owned by
    FAIRFAX SOLICITORS, MERRION STREET, LEEDS, LS2 8BX, TELEPHONE NUMBER 01138233898

The name on the letters doesnt appear on the electorial register, so assume its either an admin error, or someone's changed their address to ours?

All mail has been returned as not known at address, but as fast as they're sent back then more arrive.

Does any one have any advice?
Page 2
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 6th May 15, 9:21 PM
    • 24,253 Posts
    • 11,536 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    Why ressurect this old thread?
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • No_6
    • By No_6 6th May 15, 11:18 PM
    • 515 Posts
    • 99 Thanks
    No_6
    We get letters from money chasers, after my daughters X husband, that owes a fair bit,
    never lived at my address but once opened a credit card under our address.
    ie that is where our address is linked to him.
    I just ring the company's up and they remove our address from their files,
    no more letters from them !
    before selling it on to another....
    = ground hog day

• Fingerbobs
    • By Fingerbobs 15th May 15, 10:34 PM
    • 345 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    Fingerbobs
    I occasionally get letters from debt collectors addressed to someone who has never lived at my address (like the original poster, I am only the second owner of the house, and I know the name of the previous owner).

I sent a few back "return to sender" which didn't stop them. I then worked out who the debt collectors were from the return address, phoned them, and told them, and they simply told me to bin any further letters from them - which I have been doing ever since. (They couldn't seem to grasp the concept that the addressee has NEVER lived at my address, and kept saying "it's probably a previous tenant" - I gave up correcting them. )

Telling the debt collectors that they have the wrong address is futile and a waste of time - just ignore the letters.

I have no idea how this random person came to be linked to my address.

Edit: Actually, come to think of it, I haven't had any such letters for a few months now - maybe she's finally paid off her debt!
    Last edited by Fingerbobs; 15-05-2015 at 10:38 PM.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 16th May 15, 1:01 AM
    • 26,214 Posts
    • 10,468 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    The OP has come back 2.5 years later and given themself advice to contact the action fraud team?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Craigie75
    • By Craigie75 27th Sep 16, 10:08 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Craigie75
    Not sure if this is the most appropriate forum, if not staff please feel free to move.

For the last few weeks been getting post for someone who's never lived here. We're the 2nd owners of the house.

The mail has a return address of PO Box 189, Huddersfield HD8 1DY

All mail has been returned as not known at address, but as fast as they're sent back then more arrive.

Does any one have any advice?
    Originally posted by NX1977
    I receive post from this return address, turns out it's not a debt collector but Park Christmas savings club
    • NX1977
    • By NX1977 27th Sep 16, 8:14 PM
    • 67 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    NX1977
    The OP has come back 2.5 years later and given themself advice to contact the action fraud team?
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    Just seen someone has added to the thread and got an email update.

My reply on action fraud was to someone who's posts appear to have been removed, making it appear I'm giving myself advice.
    • samgirl21
    • By samgirl21 13th Aug 17, 1:42 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    samgirl21
    Hi
    I received mail from a similar PO box, but I'm concerned because the name on the letter looks fake - they have the exact same initials as me (my first and middle initial, and then a fake last name starting with the same letter as mine)
    e.g let's say that my initials are S L M, the name on the letter is written as Miss S L Matthews, which is very strange. It's not my last name, but my exact initials. I have written return to sender but do you think I should open it? Is there any way I would know if it's identify fraud?
    • chattychappy
    • By chattychappy 13th Aug 17, 10:03 AM
    • 6,436 Posts
    • 3,392 Thanks
    chattychappy
    Looking at that link, its open to interpretation. Who has the detriment to you opening a seemingly correctly addressed piece of mail? I'd say a letter coming to your house about debt that is not yours is grounds for a 'reasonable excuse'; ...

128.Subsection (3) makes it an offence for a person, intending to act to a person’s detriment and without reasonable excuse, to open a postal packet which he knows or suspects has been incorrectly delivered to him.
    Originally posted by Jinx

s125(3) For the purposes of this Act— ... (c) the delivery of a postal packet (i) at the premises to which it is addressed or redirected, ..., ... shall be a delivery to the addressee.

As per my post #18 in the other thread (5 years ago!!) the packet HAS been correctly delivered if it is delivered to the address on the packet. The pink bit covers the situation where, say, the postman puts something through your letterbox by mistake and you open it.

Once an item is delivered to the address on the envelope you are outside of the scope of the Act. So no offence under that Act - no need for "reasonable excuse". There may be other offences (criminally damaging the envelope as you open it, theft etc), but these are technicalities!
    Last edited by chattychappy; 13-08-2017 at 10:08 AM.
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 13th Aug 17, 10:10 AM
    • 10,803 Posts
    • 7,100 Thanks
    bigadaj
    Hi
    I received mail from a similar PO box, but I'm concerned because the name on the letter looks fake - they have the exact same initials as me (my first and middle initial, and then a fake last name starting with the same letter as mine)
    e.g let's say that my initials are S L M, the name on the letter is written as Miss S L Matthews, which is very strange. It's not my last name, but my exact initials. I have written return to sender but do you think I should open it? Is there any way I would know if it's identify fraud?
    Originally posted by samgirl21
    No reason not to open it.

If you have concerns that get a statutory credit report from the three main agencies, this should show any records of credit being applied for in your name.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

32Posts Today

4,200Users online

Martin's Twitter