Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Wendy
    • By Former MSE Wendy 9th Aug 07, 5:10 PM
    • 868Posts
    • 1,782Thanks
    Former MSE Wendy
    PPI Reclaiming successes and failures
    • 9th Aug 07, 5:10 PM
    PPI Reclaiming successes and failures 9th Aug 07 at 5:10 PM
    Please report your PPI Reclaiming sucesses/failures here

This thread lists 1000s of stories, click the 'last' link above for the most recent

Not done it yet? Read the full Loan PPI Reclaiming and Credit Card PPI Reclaiming

How to report your success/failure?

1. Click reply to enter you story.

2. Report your story in the following format:
    • What were you reclaiming: (eg. loan, credit card, store card)
    • Who was the provider: (e.g. Capital One, NatWest)
    • How much did you get back: ????
    • Did you get it back after a letter or did you go to the Financial Ombudsman: ????
    • And then write your brief reclaim tale
    REMEMEBER BY DOING THIS YOU ENCOURAGE OTHERS WHO MAY BE TOO SCARED TO RECLAIM HAVING BEEN MISSOLD.

What if I just want to discuss PPI reclaiming/ask a question?

Please do NOT post questions in this thread. Questions may be asked in the PPI reclaiming discussion thread where, although not guaranteed, it is more likely somebody may be able to help you.

Happy to tell your story in a newspaper/on TV?

There are over 20m PPI policies in the UK and its a £5bn a year industry; yet I believe a very substantial proportion of those were missold and I want to spread the word. We need to make PPI reclaiming as big as bank charges reclaiming and Mortgage Exit Fee reclaiming.

I need your help

To spread the word, I need case studies, people who've been placed on hold or succeeded and are willing to tell their story to encourage others to take on the banks and reclaim.

If you're willing to do this, please e-mail casestudy@moneysavingexpert.com (sorry but we can't answer questions at this email address) with as much of the following info as you can:

* how much was your loan/card balance
    * how much did you get back
    * who was your lender
    * a daytime phone number - we often need to reach people at very short notice
    * whether you are happy to appear in the papers,tv or both
    * where you live
    * did you use our template letters
    * did you go to the Ombusdman, court or use a claims handler

We really appreciate anyone that can help us with this but of course also please report your story below.

Thanks
    Martin
    Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 06-06-2012 at 6:58 PM.
Page 1846
    • huddo64
    • By huddo64 17th Jul 17, 7:37 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    huddo64
    I've had loans most of my working life. About five years ago, I tried to reclaim ppi payments from LloydsTSB but my claim was rejected. Around this time last year, I got a letter out of the blue from Lloyds, saying they were relooking at my claim and included another questionnaire. I completed it and sent it back to them. To my surprise, my claim was this time successful and I received a payment of just over £23,000
    • Helen's Mom
    • By Helen's Mom 21st Jul 17, 8:39 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Helen's Mom
    Packaged Account Success
    Thanks to this newsletter I looked into packaged accounts and found out that I have been paying for one for 8 years. I called the bank and got back £1316.33 + £339.85 interest with a day of making an inquiry.
    • markh1965
    • By markh1965 21st Jul 17, 10:00 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    markh1965
    What type of packaged accounts did you claim for ?
    • batch_2001
    • By batch_2001 21st Jul 17, 10:46 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    batch_2001
    Used Resolver to put a few claims in.
    RBS (credit card) upheld my claim...
    £29 offered based off £12ish PPI paid over a couple of years.

I only have 1 statement (£3 PPI) so I don't know if that's correct. I guess RBS know what they are doing but it sounds a bit low (the PPI I've paid) but as I've no evidence to the contrary I guess I'll accept....

Still, £30 for 10 minutes work...
    • duffs54
    • By duffs54 27th Jul 17, 2:52 PM
    • 126 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    duffs54
    More Egg Success via Barclays
    Whilst away on holiday, I got another text from Barclays, saying that they had just paid out for my second card with egg. £750 so along with my other cheque for £1550.00 in June making £2300 in total.

Brilliant news
    • SamDman
    • By SamDman 28th Jul 17, 2:51 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    SamDman
    PPI offered
    Hi there, can anyone advice me please, I've recently made claim for PPI and they offered me some money, But I think its not good enough for me, so my question is can I reject that offer and ask them to reconsider or recalculate my figures as its been almost 15years worth?
    Thanks
    Sam
    • amersall
    • By amersall 28th Jul 17, 9:10 AM
    • 16,686 Posts
    • 18,733 Thanks
    amersall
    If you have proof that you paid more, send it to them and ask them to recalculate, if you don't, then you accept.
    You can reject the offer but then end up with nothing.
    Was this a credit card?, the offer may be low as you did not actually pay PPI if you sometimes paid the balance in full each month, you only get PPI that you actually paid.
    More details would help.
    Last edited by amersall; 28-07-2017 at 9:13 AM.

• sido1
    • By sido1 5th Aug 17, 11:18 AM
    • 25 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    sido1
    Result
    I applied to the Co-op bank a few years ago because a friend told me to I knew I had being paying ppi from the 90s I cancelled the ppi in around 2003 ,they sent the app forms ,well I was due to go on holiday so the forms were shelved till we got back, but being a lazy sod I never got round to it,a few weeks later my wife handed me a letter, it was from the C0-0P,telling me 14 thousand was due to me, and would be deposited in my account soon, it seems that when I cancelled they kept taking it anyway, I might add this was a loan I had from 1985 ,I just get topping up till 2013,then after I got paid, another letter informing me they made a mistake, over the interest cant remember now how much, but it was a few hundred pounds, which was promptly paid into MY account,and I never had to lift a finger, well done the Co-op and the friend that plagued my life out to apply, so knowing her washing machine was broken ,we bought her a new one,
    • cutiepieabf
    • By cutiepieabf 9th Aug 17, 11:42 AM
    • 344 Posts
    • 3,561 Thanks
    cutiepieabf
    hey guys, just got a letter through from Canada Square regarding my old egg card. I couldn't use the resolver tool for canada square, so i went to their website and downloaded their form and posted it only a week or so ago. I didn't have my account details as the card was an online account so i had no statements to refer to, and i wasn't even sure if i had had ppi on the account but i detailed on the form that it was not made clear to me at point of sale and that i was not aware that it was optional. To be honest i was not expecting anything from it, but a few days later i got a letter saying they were looking into the claim, and a week later a letter has come through detailing a breakdown of insurance paid, etc. £220 cheque is on it's way in the post. So happy i finally got around to filling that form in! Thank you MSE for your advice! SUCCESS!!
    DFBX2016 #160 - £3550/£8800

DFBX2017 #160 - £0/£11,378

£0/7807 CapOne (0% PAID) £0/2776 Tesco (0% PAID)
    £820/820 HSBC OD (100% PAID) £0/£795 HSBC M/C (0% PAID)
    • louisewestlake
    • By louisewestlake 13th Aug 17, 1:02 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    louisewestlake
    PPI Success
    I knew that PPI had been added to a Mint Credit card, many years ago because I remember writing to them several times re cancelling it, before it was eventually cancelled. This was between 1999 and 2009. i had asked reclaim firm to look into it, but they replied 'no record'. A few months later, I used Resolver (no fee), got a quick resonse from RBS to confirm investigation, and another to say continuing. We just back from holiday to find a letter offering us £12000. We had apparently paid £5000! I had no idea what we had paid and I was honestly only expecting a couple of grand if anything, so very pleasantly surprised. I'm going to use Resolver for a car loan taken out many years ago where we were advised if we took out PPI, our loan was more likely to be given. How young and naive we were, we've never taken it out since after reading they were a rip off. Recommend Resolver, also sorted out a Scottish Power problem with them and got a large refund
    • stuben32
    • By stuben32 13th Aug 17, 9:28 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    stuben32
    Success PPI - LLoyds TSB and Yorkshire Bank
    Hi Everyone,

I was successful in claiming against a Lloyds-TSB credit card that I took out in 1989. I got back £14,519 - after just sending my PPI claim form back to them - No phone calls or extra info needed.

I also claimed some compensation as it turns out that when I started having troubles meeting payments, and went onto a payment plan - I stopped getting statements. When I queried this when I paid off the outstanding balance with some of my redress money, it turns out that they had sent my statements to my old address - So I complained that they had breached confidentiality, and they came back with a £300 offer that I accepted.

My wife said that she had some loans and cards from Yorkshire bank, but wasn't sure if she had PPI.

They have an address to write to to find out what accounts you had and if they had PPI and we found out that she had had 5 loans and a card that had all had PPI.

They have another address to write to to make the claim which we did, and we just recieved their findings - wife thought a few hundred, i thought maybe a couple of grand, but it was £7,465

So in total we have successfully claimed back over £22,200, all without using a claims management company and with minimum effort and a price of a few stamps.

It's made a massive change to our life - We've paid off loads of debts, and we have never been so financially secure and that's a great feeling to have.

So what are you waiting for - you have nothing to lose but a lot to gain possibly, and remember now there's a deadline of 29th August 2019.

Good Luck with your claims

Stu
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 13th Aug 17, 11:30 AM
    • 89,852 Posts
    • 55,455 Thanks
    dunstonh
    I'm going to use Resolver for a car loan taken out many years ago where we were advised if we took out PPI, our loan was more likely to be given. How young and naive we were, we've never taken it out since after reading they were a rip off. Recommend Resolver, also sorted out a Scottish Power problem with them and got a large refund
    Remember that car dealers are liable for sale of PPI on car loans. Resolver does not have car dealers in its list. Plus, car dealers only became regulated after January 2005. So, if the loan is before then, they do not have to consider your complaint unless the dealer was an agent of the lender.
    • thepeopleschamp
    • By thepeopleschamp 13th Aug 17, 12:12 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    thepeopleschamp
    I used Resolver to claim for a few loans taken out with Natwest, Lombard Direct and Nationwide and also a Credit Card with Capital One. Unfortunately none of the Banks could find any evidence of PPI sold to me. I can't remember if I paid extra for PPI either. What I find strange is that these companies offering to help with PPI claims ring you and say that you are entitled to £xxx. Where do they get this info from or is it just a made up figure?
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 13th Aug 17, 12:22 PM
    • 89,852 Posts
    • 55,455 Thanks
    dunstonh
    I used Resolver to claim for a few loans taken out with Natwest, Lombard Direct and Nationwide and also a Credit Card with Capital One. Unfortunately none of the Banks could find any evidence of PPI sold to me. I can't remember if I paid extra for PPI either. What I find strange is that these companies offering to help with PPI claims ring you and say that you are entitled to £xxx. Where do they get this info from or is it just a made up figure?
    Originally posted by thepeopleschamp
    Quite a few posts in this forum saying that the CMC said they had PPI but it turned out they didnt. The figure they say you are entitled to is completely made up.
    • thepeopleschamp
    • By thepeopleschamp 13th Aug 17, 12:26 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    thepeopleschamp
    Thanks for clearing that up. Just read on Resolver FAQs and they also say its made up.
    • Arfhurdaly
    • By Arfhurdaly 17th Aug 17, 9:03 AM
    • 192 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    Arfhurdaly
    I submitted a few claims via Resolver.

However, some creditors have said they need evidence (account numbers/statements/ppi ref no) as they have no record on file. I cant find this information, even though I believe I did pay PPI.

Is it pointless to escalate this further? Presumably the FOS will just side with the banks, without evidence.

Has anyone won a claim of this nature, where the bank couldnt find your details, and you had no evidence either?
    • societys child
    • By societys child 17th Aug 17, 10:07 AM
    • 4,662 Posts
    • 5,033 Thanks
    societys child
    Presumably the FOS will just side with the banks, without evidence.
    Not much they can do, they can't magic up any details for you.

Has anyone won a claim of this nature, where the bank couldnt find your details, and you had no evidence either?
    It makes sense that you need some form of evidence, otherwise every chancer would be submitting false/ fraudulent claims.

Do you really have no details stored away?

• dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 17th Aug 17, 10:18 AM
    • 89,852 Posts
    • 55,455 Thanks
    dunstonh
    However, some creditors have said they need evidence (account numbers/statements/ppi ref no) as they have no record on file. I cant find this information, even though I believe I did pay PPI.
    Your belief is not enough. Evidence is needed. Remember that over half of PPI complaints made do not even have PPI. So, they cant just believe what you say.

Bottom line is that if they have no evidence you paid PPI and you have no evidence then its game over. If you dont believe them, then you can spend £10 and do a data subject access request.

Has anyone won a claim of this nature
    One that is based on belief rather than fact?
    • Arfhurdaly
    • By Arfhurdaly 17th Aug 17, 10:28 AM
    • 192 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    Arfhurdaly

Do you really have no details stored away?
    Originally posted by societys child
    Unfortunately, i lost the statements from a house move. Not much i can do I think. Nevermind.
    • -taff
    • By -taff 17th Aug 17, 6:19 PM
    • 7,431 Posts
    • 4,879 Thanks
    -taff
    I submitted a few claims via Resolver.

Is it pointless to escalate this further? Presumably the FOS will just side with the banks, without evidence.

Originally posted by Arfhurdaly
    Your only other avenue if you don't believe them is to send a SAR and £10 to see what's left.

The FOS will judge inpartially [ usully more towards the consumer] but if there are no details, there are no details.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

432Posts Today

4,161Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I was surprised to see the three people in front of me in the newsagents were all shocked their old £1 coins were no longer taken.

• RT @natdebtline: If you?ve been visited by a bailiff since April 2014 we want to hear your story for our #bailiffreform campaign https://t.?

• Well so far it seems there's one thing remainers and leavers agree on - the EU is getting the better of the negotia? https://t.co/70z5ffpG8S

• Follow Martin