Monarch delays & Compensations. Listed flights denied in O.P.

Options

Comments

• Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    urban469 wrote: »
    The intolerable sacrifices bit is so important, thanks. Just to make this absolutely clear in my mind, we are interpreting the repeated references to 'beyond the control of the airline' as 'anything that wouldn't cause intolerable sacrifices'. Is that a fair reading of the situation?

Yes. I think this in unambiguous. Para 41 of Wallentin says that, in order to avoid paying compensation, the airline "must establish that, even if it had deployed all its resources in terms of staff or equipment and the financial means at its disposal, it would clearly not have been able – unless it had made intolerable sacrifices in the light of the capacities of its undertaking at the relevant time – to prevent the extraordinary circumstances with which it was confronted from leading to the cancellation [modified post-Sturgeon to delay] of the flight."
    But in the first bit that you mentioned, I agree that Wallentin establishes the non-inherent bit. But my concern is just looking back at Recital 14 (in the preamble to the Regulation) which mentions "unexpected flight safety shortcomings" as a possible EC (as I mentioned a few posts back).

It does, that's right. But Wallentin addresses this point directly in para 23. It says that technical failures could be classed as ‘unexpected flight safety shortcomings’, but is categorical that "the circumstances surrounding such an event can be characterised as ‘extraordinary’ within the meaning of Article 5(3) of Regulation No 261/2004 only if they relate to an event which, like those listed in recital 14 in the preamble to that regulation, is not inherent in the normal exercise of the activity of the air carrier concerned and is beyond the actual control of that carrier on account of its nature or origin."

I don't want to get in circular arguments, but I think both points are pretty well covered. In short, to be an "unexpected flight safety" exemption, for which compensation does not need to be paid, it can't be normal technical failings that happen as a consequence of the experience of flying a plane, and the ensuing delay must be out of the control of the airline (which means it must do everything short of an "intolerable sacrifice" to prevent the delay - including getting you another plane or crew).

This is consistent with the purpose of 261/04, which is described in Sturgeon as "a high level of protection for air passengers", and is also consistent with the lobbying of the airlines who, as Mark has noted, have pressed for these stringent conditions to be rolled back and to be given more time (likely to be between 5 and 12 hours, according to the EU's recent press release) to address mechanical issues. If going tech was extraordinary circumstances, the airlines wouldn't have pushed for this amendment!

I am not a lawyer - it bears repeating - so if others take a different view of this interpretation, I'm happy to be challenged on it.
  • Mark2spark
    Mark2spark Posts: 2,306 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Vauban wrote: »
    ...and the ensuing delay must be out of the control of the airline (which means it must do everything short of an "intolerable sacrifice" to prevent the delay - including getting you another plane or crew).

I'd also add to that, that the airline must also look to see if the passengers can be found seats on other airlines flights, that are leaving for the same destination.
    Majorca, for instance, has about 8 flights a day from Gatwick, which are Monarch Thomson Thomas Cook Easyjet and possibly BA as well.

The reality is that the airline doesn't even consider this possibility, as they've got away with giving you a €5 voucher for a sandwich for so long.
    But it's a question that must be asked in Court, as it is up to the airline to *prove* that they did everything they could to not inconvenience the passengers.
  • urban469
    urban469 Posts: 200 Forumite
    Options
    Vauban and Mark2Spark, these two replies really sum it up for me, so thank you. I think it's been a really useful discussion.

For the sake of simplicity, we're saying that although a tech problem could be an EC according to the Reg, the bar is set very high (intolerable sacrifices and the 'high level of protection'). Also, it comes down to the magnitude of the other ECs (terrorism/manufacturer withdraws an aircraft model) as compared to the problem with my plane on the day.

Mark – good point about attempts to find seats on other carriers, and the burden of proof.

Forgive me if this feels like I'm milking the discussion for all it's worth, but... I just want to go back to the 'inherent' bit for a moment. How do we nail down that a fuel leak or windscreen crack or whatever *is* an inherent part of running an airline. That's the only breathing space I can feel that Monarch still have in this argument...
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Forgive me if this feels like I'm milking the discussion for all it's worth, but... I just want to go back to the 'inherent' bit for a moment. How do we nail down that a fuel leak or windscreen crack or whatever *is* an inherent part of running an airline. That's the only breathing space I can feel that Monarch still have in this argument...

I think I can cite in my defence, er, Monarch's own preliminary defence to my own claim.

They say in their defence document that Wallentin supports their position because "technical problems are covered by those exceptional circumstances to the extent that they stem from events which are not inherent in the normal exercise of the activity of the air carrier concerned and are beyond its control". But they immediately then go on to concede that "cracks in the windscreen can arise without any initial indications given they are subject to extreme changes in temperature and altitude." I am ready to concede that the cracks in an airplanes window are a consequence of exposing the plane to cold temperatures and high altitude. But subjecting the plane to such conditions cannot but be an inherent part of flying, and therefore a normal exercise of activity! How is it possible to argue otherwise?

(In fact Monarch makes this point to demonstrate that they couldn't predict that the windscreen was going to crack, and therefore that it was "beyond its control": but that is neither here not there. The clause about "beyond its control" relates as much (if not more) to how an airlines responds to a technical failing, not whether that failing should have been anticipated.)

I am very confident of my ground, and of the paucity of Monarch's argument.
  • Mark2spark
    Options
    It's perfectly within the airlines control. Just don't fly the things and park them in hangers, and nothing will go wrong with them :rotfl:

What do you mean, they need to use them? Ahhh....... that'll be the "...normal exercise of the activity of the air carrier concerned..." bit covered then.
    The day to day usage of airplanes inevitably leads to occasional tech issues.
    Consider this: If the airline left two, or even 3, hours between flights, then an unexpected tech issue would have time on it's side to be solved, or failing that, then extra time is available to re-route passengers, or bring in replacement planes.
    But no, the airlines *choose* to run a business model that maximises profits, with passengers inconvenience, if there's a delay, being low in priorities.
  • LBD
    LBD Posts: 261 Forumite
    Options
    Fantastic information from Centipede,Mark & Vauban....totally awesome and sterlign work, it is and will be greatly appreciated by everyone

I have finally had my court paperwork back at long last, it has been served...23/04/2013 is the 14th day....which we know they will acknowledge.....which then takes it to the 28 days.... for the filing of their defence...

Am guessing it will be the same as most of you have had.... then it will be the directions questionnaire and then the AQ ... am I correct?
  • Mark2spark
    Options
    Yes, except it might take them 30 days to file the defence :wink:
  • LBD
    LBD Posts: 261 Forumite
    Options
    oh dear that is a shame Mark, unfortunately day 28 is the Bank holiday Monday 6th may which is the bank holiday, so have to give them till the 7th... but if nothing received by 1 pm, special delivery deadline then will send request for judgment due to their failure to supply within the due time...:):)
  • What_todo
    What_todo Posts: 8 Forumite
    edited 10 April 2013 at 9:48PM
    Options
    Please can someone offer me a little advice.
    My plane from Barcelona to Manchester zb517 on the 3rd September 2012 was delayed over 5 hours. We were told when we arrived at the airport that our delay was due to a knock on effect from an earlier incident which later resulted in a plane from Larnaca being diverted to Birmingham. This explanation for the delay was confirmed by the cabin crew on the plane and by a passenger who was speaking to a Monarch employee on the phone whilst waiting in the airport. On my return I filed a request for compensation but this was originally denied until the ruling in October. Monarch then agreed to consider it but it was denied and the reason given was that the plane had a cracked windscreen. I wrote again and asked them to check as their version was not consistent with the explanation given to us in Barcelona. Monarch made no comment on my version and would not give me any more information about the cracked windscreen. I did say that I would take legal action and they gave me the name and address of the person to correspond with. I was just about to send my NBA when I noticed on this forum that the Larnaca flight (ZB 647) had been compensated so I am not sure how to proceed. Do I cite the reasons given in Barcelona or the alleged cracked windscreen? I would really welcome some advice as to my next steps. I have copied in the details of the delay to the Larnaca flight which seems consistent with the story we were given. Would anyone be able to confirm why the passengers on that plane received their compensation.
    Many thanks

Departure Scheduled time Arrival Scheduled time
    Select Larnaca (LCA) 03/09/2012 01:30:00 Manchester Int. (MAN) 03/09/2012 04:40:00
    Select Larnaca (LCA) 03/09/2012 08:34:00 Birmingham Intl. (BHX) 03/09/2012 11:20:00
    Select Birmingham Intl. (BHX) 03/09/2012 12:20:00 Manchester Int. (MAN) 03/09/2012 12:40:00
  • Mark2spark
    Options
    There doesn't appear to be too much logic applied to Monarch's method of accepting or denying claims.
    If you've given them 14 days notice that you'll start court action already, go ahead IMO.
    I really don't think any further letter writing will get you anywhere.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure