Redeeming points from my Lloyds TSB Credit Card

Options
Hi folks

I have a Lloyds TSB credit card and every time I use it to make a purchase, a certain amount of points are added to my account. I can redeem those points (which give me a 10% discount) by making purchases from selected retailers. For example, if I buy an item for £50 then by using 50 points from my card, I only need to pay £45 - i.e. saving of £5. However, before redeeming my points, I need to order vouchers from the bank for the value of the £50, that can be used to get my discount. The vouchers can take up to 14 days to get delivered to me.

By now, you can see that I have 2 problems -

1. I can only buy from the selected retailers in order to redeem points.

2. This method of redeeming points is only worth while if I make large value purchases.

I would very much like to redeem my points (since I have now got a large number of them), so can someone please give me any ideas if they are aware of another way of redeeming my points.

Thanks in advance for your response

Comments

• SageSaver
    Options
    Are these points still valid for Lloyds TSB cards ?. I have a Lloyds TSB Credit Card account (NO Card) but they never sent me any new cards as I cancelled my account, however every month they send me a statement saying I am 1p in credit and I have 197 points and to call 0845 603 7132 to redeem them.

Does anyone know if these points are worth anything and is there anything online to look at or do I have to phone the bandits.
  • geek84
    geek84 Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi

Yes, as far as I know these points are still valid. They are only valid for the purchases I make on the credit card.

Lloydstsb has never asked me to call them in order to redeem the points - they have only sent me a booklet which gives me discounts on purchases made from selected retailers. These discounts can only be taken by redeeming some or all the points. i.e. redeeming 45 points from my card will get me a £50 voucher to use.
  • DocProc
    DocProc Posts: 855 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think you are most probably referring the the Lloyds TSB Trustcard credit card, which is nowadays hardly mentioned anywhere by Lloyds TSB on their Internet banking web site pages.

I used to use this card very much up until about 1993 or so and amassed thousands of points. I found the best place to spend them was with the John Lewis Group/Waitrose and so periodically, I used to ring up and order, say another £500's worth of JL/W vouchers. It is correct that they could be bought at 10% discount through Lloyds TSB, but also at the expense of 500 points too (ie. each £1 on the retailer gift voucher costs £0.90 (10% discount) and 1 Trustcard Reward point). Each time I hit the Waitrose checkout till, I was getting my shopping at 10% discount. This was an utterly brilliant deal!

Eventually, particularly with the Waitrose shopping, I managed to use up all the points. Once that happened, I discontinued with the Trustcard credit card and just cancelled it, preferring to use other more beneficial cards instead.

The list of retailers who take these vouchers is not too large but they are popular retailers and anyone with a useful number of points left and still having a Trustcard credit card can obtain the list of Retailers who still participate in this scheme by phoning Lloyds TSB Customer Services. They will send you out a little booklet. I also used to buy gift vouchers with the Trustcard points at 10% discount for such as Argos, Garden Centres, Homebase, etc.

Hope that helps.
  • geek84
    geek84 Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi DocProc

You are perfectly correct - it is the trustcard that I meant.

I don't usually shop at Waitrose and I am not much of a misoc person, so H&M is not an option either!!

The list of retailers that LloydsTsb give you is not very much, amd I have got over 3,000 point on my card.

Do you think I should stop using the card and switch over to another one?

If so, have you got any recommendations?

Thank You.
  • Any
    Any Posts: 7,944 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Where do you shop?
    many cards give you points for shopping-Tesco to boost ur Tesco points, M&S to get spend vouchers...Lloyds for Airmiles..and also cards for cashback, where you basically get around 0,5% of your spend back once a year..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure