Barclaycard refugee

Options
Found out about Barclaycard getting rid of their amex cashback credit card, so been looking around for a replacement.
Candidates look thin on the ground now, Amex do a few promising ones, the costco card seems like the best, no fee, 1% cashback in costco vouchers, up to 3% for other things, don't have a costco near me tho.
the also have a nectar card, £25 annual fee (free for the first year, if you weren't an amex customer) 2 nectar points / £ spent (1% equiv when spent in sainsburys)

they have 2 other cash back cards.one at 1% rising to 1.25% with a £25 fee and 1 at 0.5% rising to 1% fee free

thinking my best bet is to go for the nectar card, my spend isn't high enough for the others to work out for me, see if they can waive the fee after the first year? worst case wait 6 months and reapply?

anyone spotted any other decent cashback/reward credit cards that I may have missed?

Comments

• Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/cashback-credit-cards

Don't forget that in order to get the Costco Amex you need to be able to get to a Costco in order to have your photo taken firstly and you'll also need to pay the annual membership fee of £33.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • benj111
    benj111 Posts: 40 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 19 May 2017 at 1:02PM
    Options
    Just rang up amex see if I could wangle a better deal (unsuccessfully), they did say I would be eligible for the fee waiver on the nectar card because I haven't held that particular card in the past 6 months, also mentioned she had the premium cashback card, but refer a friend gives you both 1 year free membership, so that becomes a possibility I suppose.

@candyapple
    I discounted it because I never shop at costco, if you were going there anyway it would probably be a good deal, but yeah for others something to bear in mind.

Edit: your link just reminded me, why is the nectar and costco cards not showing up there, both seem to be better on balance than the asda card but seem to be ignored by MSE???
  • WillPS
    WillPS Posts: 3,476 Forumite
    Newshound! First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 20 May 2017 at 11:09AM
    Options
    benj111 wrote: »
    Just rang up amex see if I could wangle a better deal (unsuccessfully), they did say I would be eligible for the fee waiver on the nectar card because I haven't held that particular card in the past 6 months, also mentioned she had the premium cashback card, but refer a friend gives you both 1 year free membership, so that becomes a possibility I suppose.

@candyapple
    I discounted it because I never shop at costco, if you were going there anyway it would probably be a good deal, but yeah for others something to bear in mind.

Edit: your link just reminded me, why is the nectar and costco cards not showing up there, both seem to be better on balance than the asda card but seem to be ignored by MSE???
    I suppose because it's not strictly cashback - although neither is the Asda card any more.

Worth remembering that Costco in the US and Canada rather dramatically fell out with Amex a few years back. It could be that the UK product is part of a different contract - but I wouldn't expect this product to last forever either.

I agree the Nectar card looks like a good deal now.

If you spend a fair bit at Aldi/Lidl, might be worth considering the Natwest Reward credit card. 1% back at all supermarkets (including Aldi/Lidl), 0.5% elsewhere. £24 annual fee (waived if you have the £2/month Natwest Reward Current Account, which I'd also recommend).
  • baz8790
    baz8790 Posts: 111 Forumite
    Options
    I've gone for the platinum everyday cashback card, get 5% cashback for the first 3 months up to a max of £200 cashback then 1% if I spend over £5k a year, since I got the barclaycard cashback card I use the card as much as possible and pay the balance off every month.

Will be keeping the barclaycard as a back up when Amex isn't accepted
  • pochisoldi
    pochisoldi Posts: 261 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 22 May 2017 at 4:52PM
    Options
    benj111 wrote: »
    Found out about Barclaycard getting rid of their amex cashback credit card, so been looking around for a replacement.

Are they dropping the Amex card from the Amex+Visa combo account?
    If yes, are they keeping the 0.5% cashback Visa card?

Answer: Yes, and Yes

PochiSoldi
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family