Car hit by company lorry while stationary

Options
last year my car was hit in the start of the year while parked by a large company delivery lorry. I claimed through their insurers and they had admitted liability. I obtained an estimate and gave it to them. I did not receive any contact after that, I had completely forgotten about it since a close relative passed away and I was pregnant. Now I have renewed my insurance I saw the claim had gone through however I was not contacted again..

The problem is I had repaired the vehicle, but the only evidence I have of that is the estimate as i paid by cash to a small family run garage and by paying cash they took out the VAT.

I no longer own the vehicle as I sold it

Is there anyway I can claim this money back? Possibly through using the estimate and doing a cash in lieu settlement

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    edited 30 April 2017 at 4:52PM
    Options
    You cannot use an estimate as proof you paid for the repairs.

If you were claiming off a responsible third party insurer you made an error doing a deal to avoid Vat! You really need proper proof of payment to stand much chance pursuing this legally. Presumably no chance the garage will give you one for a cash job - no vat!

Try an informal letter asking to be reimbursed and take it from the response - or give the garage the vat and get a proper receipt!
  • OnanTheBarbarian
    Options
    Or you could settle for a cash in-lieu settlement, which is estimated repair costs less the vat.
  • shibiddy
    shibiddy Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    I contacted them they agreed to pay however they asked for proof I sold the vehicle... I have an invoice but no registration number if they don't accept it is there any other way I can prove the car is no longer mine
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    shibiddy wrote: »
    I contacted them they agreed to pay however they asked for proof I sold the vehicle... I have an invoice but no registration number if they don't accept it is there any other way I can prove the car is no longer mine

Show them the letter the DVLA sent you saying you are no longer the registered keeper.
  • shibiddy
    shibiddy Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    takman wrote: »
    Show them the letter the DVLA sent you saying you are no longer the registered keeper.

I thought that too but I'm
    Not sure if I have it since I moved house, can I get a copy of it?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure