Benefits check up guide and tool discussion

Comments

• orkneyviking
    orkneyviking Posts: 16 Forumite
    We are also in the position of having a household income just under £42k and I wondered if your earnings did increase through the year (e.g. pay rise) and you come above £42k, then would you need to pay the whole years tax credits back?
  • diceydeb
    diceydeb Posts: 157 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Watch out cos it tells u to put in your incapacity benefit . this is wrong if u were getting it since before 1995 ( when it was called invalidity) i know this cos i lost out for years on unclaimed tax credits due to putting my OH incapacity down as accountable income.
  • smiggi.123
    smiggi.123 Posts: 5 Forumite
    hi my son's ema will stop soon and he is wanting to get a 16hr a week job the thing is I am on income support as the hubby is ill and he recieves dla for his illness before my son goes and gets a job I want to know if it will affect anything such as income support housing benefit as I don't want him working and then having to pay our rent etc ....we also have other children 2 sisters and 2 grandchildren that were in care living with us so you see why I am concerned to whether it will affect anything he wants a 16hr a week job he is gonna stay on at college during this time till he is 20yrs as he is starting a new course aswell
    thankyou for your time
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    smiggi.123 wrote: »
    hi my son's ema will stop soon and he is wanting to get a 16hr a week job the thing is I am on income support as the hubby is ill and he recieves dla for his illness before my son goes and gets a job I want to know if it will affect anything such as income support housing benefit as I don't want him working and then having to pay our rent etc ....we also have other children 2 sisters and 2 grandchildren that were in care living with us so you see why I am concerned to whether it will affect anything he wants a 16hr a week job he is gonna stay on at college during this time till he is 20yrs as he is starting a new course aswell
    thankyou for your time

Gosh, wouldn't it be terrible if anyone in your household actually paid any rent! :eek:
    Gone ... or have I?
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    dmg24 wrote: »
    Gosh, wouldn't it be terrible if anyone in your household actually paid any rent! :eek:
    In this instance, yes, I think that it would be a shame if a teenager got himself a job to get himself a bit of spending money while he was at college and ended up having to pay rent for the whole household.
    We should, as a society, be teaching this lad that going to work is a good idea. Not that there's no point.
  • Ed_Jogg
    Ed_Jogg Posts: 184 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I tried using the tool mainly to check the Tax Credits allowance -- on a salary of £45k (gross) it says we are entitled to nothing. OK. That matches what the letters have told me.

Found that there were more pages, so carried on using the tool.
    It got stuck at "Step 7 -- Net Earnings", giving me the error box:
    We can not calculate your income tax bill correctly as you are affected by the withdrawal of personal allowances for people with incomes over £100,000.
    and not allowing me to progress any further. Pressing 'Next' just reloads the same page.
    So, as it takes me several years to earn over £100k, what's up with it?

NB -- I'm not expecting any benefits, considering my salary -- we used to qualify for a little CTC and it certainly helped ease the bringing up of three children on a single wage with a large mortgage, etc -- but I thought the tool was supposed to help me check.
  • I can't believe those people who are bringing home over 40k are looking to claim benefits !!!
  • Is this tool up to date? The figures may only be a rough guide, but how rough? It was miles out for my situation I wish I could get half of what it calculates!!!! makes you think the massive fight through the paperwork may be worth it - but it's not!!!!!!
    :(
  • hi the cheeker was right BUT from june 2012 no more smi means help with morgage payments intrest only so have to find £50 aweek out of £105 we are a couple so £52 each food gas elc etc mission impossible max
  • oldtractor
    oldtractor Posts: 2,262 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    it tel me i am entited to council tax benefit. i have tried to claim but the council say I am not entitled to it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure