Some lorries could be banned from London because of danger to cyclists.

Comments

• Paradigm
    Paradigm Posts: 3,613 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    jack_pott wrote: »
    Quite a lot do.

Really? Maybe you might want to rethink that.
    Always try to be at least half the person your dog thinks you are!
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,547 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Wait until a truck driver get killed or it fails some new crash test, because the new rules about the glass area means there is no room for enough metal to protect the driver.

Just keep moving the goalposts?

I have watched a lot of the helmet cam video's and a lot do show the vehicles to blame but a lot also show how cyclists do stupid things.

Even in the car i know that being beside a lorry is risky, there is no way i would creep up the inside of one, even more so when approaching a junction where it may turn left across my path.

Just the namby state trying to wrap everyone in cotton wool. It rarely works.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• ska_lover
    ska_lover Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 7 October 2016 at 10:57PM
    Johno100 wrote: »
    OK so far.

Not quite sure you have thought that through. Who's going to pay someone to open up say an office building at 4am to have the bins collected, confidential waste collected, parcels delivered etc. etc.? You want to ban lorries and cars, how about buses? And while 2 mile might work in London, there are cities in the UK where motorways are closer than that to the city centre are you going to ban motorised vehicles from those?

No of course I haven't thought about every possible scenario, of which there would be far more than you mention - I am not pretending to be an expert, merely the first and only person on the thread to offer any kind of idea of a solution.

What solution would you offer?
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
  • ska_lover
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 7 October 2016 at 10:55PM
    jack_pott wrote: »
    Not practical.
    They're safer on the roads.

Quite a lot do.

You are incorrect. Quite a lot of drivers do not intend harm, and it is an unfair to blame anything on any one group.

Does anyone else have any ideas?
  • brat
    brat Posts: 2,533 Forumite
    Jack Pott's reply could (and quite possibly does ) mean that car and lorry drivers do hurt others. His reply doesn't necessarily mean that they intend to hurt. I know he's quite precise in what he says, so I'll leave his meaning for him to define, but...

... from my experience there are quite a few car and lorry drivers whose behaviour while driving is so unbelievably inept that one would be forgiven for thinking that their intent was to harm. Clearly, the intent is not present, but the degree of recklessness is tantamount to intent.
    Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,547 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If we had some police on the roads there could be a chance to get the dangerous and repeat offenders off the road. But when you can accumulate 40 points and still drive away from the court its a joke.

On a dual 40mph carriageway the otherday when a car shot past approx 60 - 70mph. Slams their brakes on and cuts into the left hand lane between a couple of cars which caused chaos then as everyone had to brake sharply for the speeding idiot to turn left into the industrial estate.

Thats the sort who will kill someone, no matter what they drive.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Laz123
    Laz123 Posts: 1,742 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ska_lover wrote: »
    You are incorrect. Quite a lot of drivers do not intend harm, and it is an unfair to blame anything on any one group.

Does anyone else have any ideas?

Not a lot do, but some maybe:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5518891
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,780 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It is a minority but there are a significant number of motorists who hate bikes to the extent that they will drive dangerously around them whether driving too close, driving alongside with a passenger trying to push them off, deliberately moving left in traffic to block a bike off (when filtering it can result in being knocked over) or stuff like getting close and putting windscreen wipers on to get the cyclists or throwing stuff at them as well as the types who will get out of the vehicle to have a confrontation
  • ska_lover wrote: »
    All that is clear is that cycles / cars /HGV / pedestrians should not try and occupy the same space at the same time and if we find way to separate, then everyone is a winner.

Not practical.

There simply isn't room to put cycle paths everywhere, and the ones we do have just serve to teach motorists that cyclists have no place on the road. Even with a utopian cycle path by the side of every road, cyclists and motorists still have to share space at every junction, and that's where accidents occur. Would you build a flyover at every junction?

Sharing space is safer, not more dangerous, because it forces road users to be aware of others rather than placing them where they can be ignored. That's why Hans Monderman's shared space schemes have been shown to reduce accidents.
    Cyclists are dicing with death when they cycle on the roads, not because they are not great cyclists or lack of road sense on their part etc, but because they just do not combine with motorised vehicles.

They're safer on the roads.

Because most accidents occur at junctions, and cycle paths make junctions more complex.
    No car driver or lorry driver wants to hurt anyone.

Quite a lot do.

What I had in mind was the hundreds of "likes" that appear on newspaper articles before they're deleted, when motorists make comments about wanting to run over/kill cyclists. There are also more than enough cases of motorists deliberately attacking/running into cyclists. When motorists are politely asked to leave more space when overtaking, they deliberately drive closer, but they leave more space if they think they're overtaking the police though, which suggests that their concern is for their own welfare, not that of the cyclist.
  • ska_lover
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 8 October 2016 at 5:51PM
    Lets just ban people
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income