PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OS ways and Poor Health

Comments

• Prinzessilein
    Prinzessilein Posts: 3,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Afternoon all!

I am a great fan of Dr Mosley (mainly through is research into 5:2)...and have been thinking of getting the new book - I have a Waterstones voucher and may use that to get it!

Wednesday2000...welcome to the thread!....as far as PiP goes, a number of us claim it - I have just been through the transferal process from DLA to Pip....can you claim PiP for fibromyalgia?...well, sort of!... You don't get PiP for any specific condition but for having care and mobility needs......So, for example,I have (amongst other conditions) severe dyspraxia...I don't get PiP 'because I have Dyspraxia'...I get it because my dyspraxia means I have care and mobility needs...I cannot use a bath...I need help to prepare a meal...I cannot walk far - even with my walker or stick....et.c....if you google 'PiP descriptors' you will find a list of descriptors plus the points you would be given for having specific difficulties....this will give you an idea of whether you might have a chance of claiming.....Hope this makes sense!
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Afternoon all!

I am a great fan of Dr Mosley (mainly through is research into 5:2)...and have been thinking of getting the new book - I have a Waterstones voucher and may use that to get it!

Wednesday2000...welcome to the thread!....as far as PiP goes, a number of us claim it - I have just been through the transferal process from DLA to Pip....can you claim PiP for fibromyalgia?...well, sort of!... You don't get PiP for any specific condition but for having care and mobility needs......So, for example,I have (amongst other conditions) severe dyspraxia...I don't get PiP 'because I have Dyspraxia'...I get it because my dyspraxia means I have care and mobility needs...I cannot use a bath...I need help to prepare a meal...I cannot walk far - even with my walker or stick....et.c....if you google 'PiP descriptors' you will find a list of descriptors plus the points you would be given for having specific difficulties....this will give you an idea of whether you might have a chance of claiming.....Hope this makes sense!

Oh, okay, thanks.:) As I've been recently diagnosed I have no idea if I going to get a lot worse over time. I have read on fibro forums that some people need a stick to walk or a mobility scooter thing. I'm not at that point at all and hoping that I won't ever be, but it is nice to know that I might be able to get Pip if I needed it.
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Good to see you LW and lovely to read of the happy outcome for Fudge . I did spot Mia had been . I admire you so much for the love and care you give your guests . I imagine it's good therapy for you too but it takes strength and courage to deal with the initial process with new owners coming into your sanctuary .
    polly x
    That it does; and when I found out I'd have to invite the owners round for a chat, I nearly didn't sign up with the new company (this wasn't required by the old company I was with - indeed you never even knew who the owners were, let alone meet them!) But I decided I really didn't want to miss out on canine company, so it's time to put my Big Girl Knickers on and bite the bullet, so to speak. It is a very hard thing to do when you have Social Phobia, but Mr LW is always there with me, and if he spots me getting panicky he'll step in and carry the conversation for a bit. :A

Fudge has just been picked up by his owners; so the bungalow seems very quiet and empty now. But we have Cookie coming next Thursday for a 2-night stay. She's another Staffie. :o
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    LameWolf wrote: »
    That it does; and when I found out I'd have to invite the owners round for a chat, I nearly didn't sign up with the new company (this wasn't required by the old company I was with - indeed you never even knew who the owners were, let alone meet them!) But I decided I really didn't want to miss out on canine company, so it's time to put my Big Girl Knickers on and bite the bullet, so to speak. It is a very hard thing to do when you have Social Phobia, but Mr LW is always there with me, and if he spots me getting panicky he'll step in and carry the conversation for a bit. :A

Fudge has just been picked up by his owners; so the bungalow seems very quiet and empty now. But we have Cookie coming next Thursday for a 2-night stay. She's another Staffie. :o

Yay .You're getting plenty of staffy love at the mo!There's nothing better 😀
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • pollyanna_26
    pollyanna_26 Posts: 4,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Welcome Wednesday Both myself and youngest daughter have Fibro I will get back online later as although my laptop was with the family techie yesterday it's still causing problems so I need to close it down and reset some things .
    As Prinzess has already told you a bit about PIP you can be sure between us all we'll be to explain the ins and outs . My daughter had the transition from DLA a little before Prinzess . The main thing initially to think about is how the Fibro impacts on your day to day life as that is what is being assessed .
    I will be back at some point later today . I'm not sure if you are still working so that would be useful to know also if you know of ESA . Brain is a little mushy at the moment so will be back later .
    Hope everyone is ok and see you all later .
    I love Staffies too .
    polly x
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Welcome Wednesday Both myself and youngest daughter have Fibro I will get back online later as although my laptop was with the family techie yesterday it's still causing problems so I need to close it down and reset some things .
    As Prinzess has already told you a bit about PIP you can be sure between us all we'll be to explain the ins and outs . My daughter had the transition from DLA a little before Prinzess . The main thing initially to think about is how the Fibro impacts on your day to day life as that is what is being assessed .
    I will be back at some point later today . I'm not sure if you are still working so that would be useful to know also if you know of ESA .

No, I'm not working at the moment (my last contract ended a while ago) but my husband is on quite a good wage so I didn't think I would be entitled to anything. I hadn't even thought about it until the woman at the DWP mentioned it the other day. I have spent quite a lot of money on books, supplements, a new bed etc... so the money would be helpful. I've been caring for my husband too the past few years as he has been ill and didn't claim anything either.

Any advice would be gratefully received.:)

I have two dogs, but they are not staffies, they are two little terrors, sorry terriers.:D
  • candygirl
    Lol terrors is right 😀I have 2 staffies ; Buddy who's 14.5 n naughty Bonnie who's almost 1 .They keep me going, as I suffer from OA, n permanent nerve damage in my legs, due to untreated pernicious anaemia :(

• Prinzessilein
    Prinzessilein Posts: 3,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Wednesday2000....your husbands wage would be taken into account for ESA, so you may not get that....but PiP is non-means-tested and so is well worth looking into.

You need to look at how the fibromyalgia affects your everyday life...

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/Global/Migrated_Documents/adviceguide/pip-9-table-of-activities-descriptors-and-points.pdf

the above link should take you to a list of descriptors and points.....unfortunately it is very much a point-scoring benefit!...one thing to remember is that for each activity you need to be able to do it reliably and repeatedly...so if you have good/bad days then consider what is 'typical' on an average day....just one example, Activity 2 - Taking Nutrition...I need someone to help cut up my food....do I need it everyday? Well, no - some days I might have soup/stew and need no cutting up...or I might have a 'good' day and be able to manage to cut up some soft fish or chicken....BUT, over any given week I need help more often than not...so get the 2 points for this activity.

I would LOVE to have a four-legged friend!....sadly it is unlikely to happen...no pets allowed in my housing block....and also my taste runs to rather large dogs! I would just adore a Bernhardiner or a Bernese Mountain Dog....not an deal choice for someone with limited mobility (and the food wouldn't come cheap!!!!)...it's those dratted Chalet School Books - I loved reading about Bruno and Rufus!
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    candygirl wrote: »
    Lol terrors is right 😀I have 2 staffies ; Buddy who's 14.5 n naughty Bonnie who's almost 1 .They keep me going, as I suffer from OA, n permanent nerve damage in my legs, due to untreated pernicious anaemia :(

I have PA too, sorry that you have been left with nerve damage, although I became rather poorly before being diagnosed I was lucky enough to get treatment and for many years had a fairly normal life before getting a Primary Immunodeficiency. We have a lovely Border Collie, I have known a lot of Staffies and they are great dogs:D
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • candygirl
    maddiemay wrote: »
    I have PA too, sorry that you have been left with nerve damage, although I became rather poorly before being diagnosed I was lucky enough to get treatment and for many years had a fairly normal life before getting a Primary Immunodeficiency. We have a lovely Border Collie, I have known a lot of Staffies and they are great dogs:D

Do you have B12 jabs hun?if so how often ? :D

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills