Travel credit cards

Comments

• jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Jenko-dog wrote: »
    Hi all, not sure if it's me, but I find this website incredibly difficult to navigate. I wanted to share my experience of using the post office travel card on a new thread, but can't find how to do that, so I'll post it here and hope that it gets read.
    The PO claim that their card is widely accepted, but beware! If, like me, you purchased it for travel in Europe, especially France, it doesn't work on automated petrol stations. In Europe, these pay at pump type stations are more popular than staffed kiosks (it's the future, we won't need humans). Not only will the card be declined, but you are stood in an embarrassing queue, and then you have to resort to your usual credit card, which rips you off. Apparently this piece of info is in the T&C, buried deep in the hundreds of pages of waffle.
    So when you come back to UK, you have a large amount of euros still on the PO card, which they then tell you is buyable back at an extortionate rate, 1.45 at today's rate! It also takes 15 working days to get your money back, as they have to email, text or write to your home address with a code, which then has to be taken in person to a post office to exchange back. It CANNOT be done online.
    Also, each time your card is declined, it holds back an amount of euros, usually over 100, until the cancelled or declined transaction is verified.
    In future I'll just use my 1st Direct credit card, and take the hit.
    What a PO fiasco. No wonder they're going under.
    Or you could get one of the CCs that doesn't charge for use abroad :)
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/travel-credit-cards?&_ga=1.113401287.1191730573.1435909936#seven
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • joeyd2006
    joeyd2006 Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Does anyone know if I could sign up to an interest free card alongside a travel card and transfer the balance to that, thus negating the charges on both?

Many thanks,

Joe
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    joeyd2006 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if I could sign up to an interest free card alongside a travel card and transfer the balance to that, thus negating the charges on both?
    The only difference with 'travel' credit cards is their absence of fees for overseas use, otherwise they function like any CC, if that's any help..?
    Evolution, not revolution
  • joeyd2006
    joeyd2006 Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    thanks for such a quick response @eDicky

my thinking was that it's likely to be quite an expensive trip that I dont have the funds to totally cover, so if I put some onto a travel credit card, then do a balance transfer onto a 0% interest credit card with free balance transfers then I wont be pressed to pay it all off a week or two after I'm home before I start getting hit with high interest fees - I wasn't sure if this was possible

However reading some of the other comments in this thread I'm getting the impression these cards aren't all they're cracked up to be?

Cheers,

Joe
  • mae
    mae Posts: 1,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi

I am travelling to Dubai and wondering what is the best way of spending?

I do have the Halifax Clarity credit card which I use when I travel to Europe but is it still the best card to use in Dubai?

Thanks
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    mae wrote: »
    Hi

I am travelling to Dubai and wondering what is the best way of spending?

I do have the Halifax Clarity credit card which I use when I travel to Europe but is it still the best card to use in Dubai?

Thanks

Pretty much so. There's a marginal case for Revolut prepaid.
  • crazycaro
    crazycaro Posts: 6 Forumite
    Went to India last year, set up a card with ICICI bank, absolutely free, though exchange rates aren't top price but fair. Limit 50000 rupees (£500 ish) but can top up if you need more. no trouble getting cash (except on Monday when machines need refilling) or paying.
    Great service
  • adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,813 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 27 May 2016 at 12:13PM
    I understand that this creation everyday credit card works exactly the same as Halifax Clarity card.e.g.
    - No Cash withdrawal fee,
    - you get the Mastercard Global Exchange rate.
    - You pay the interest on daily basis on the day the transaction is booked into the account

But why on the MSE article,
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/travel-credit-cards#creation

It is mentioned as“ … Low cash withdrawal charges

I understand interest is not the same with charges. Is there any other charges or just the daily interest to be paid ? What have I been missing here ??

Thanks
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    adindas wrote: »
    I understand that this creation everyday credit card works exactly the same as Halifax Clarity card.e.g.
    - No Cash withdrawal fee,
    - you get the Mastercard Global Exchange rate.
    - You pay the interest on daily basis on the day the transaction is booked into the account

But why on the MSE article,
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/travel-credit-cards#creation

It is mentioned as“ … Low cash withdrawal charges

I understand interest is not the same with charges. Is there any other charges or just the daily interest to be paid ? What have I been missing here ??

Thanks

Possible interest...
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    adindas wrote: »
    So creation everyday credit is operating EXACTLY the same as Halifax claritycard ?

If it is interest they are referring to for “ … Low cash withdrawal charges “ then I think it is not accurate, charges is difference with interest and there are a lot of charges and loading might apply to creditcard for foreign currency.

What on earth and you going on about? The wording comes from MSE, not Creation. Speak to their copywriters. It's better than the Clarity, as the Clarity now offers 18.9% to new customers.
    http://www.creation.co.uk/credit-cards/creation-everyday-credit-card
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure