Did you win a copy of 'One Pound Meals' in the MSE Giveaway Competition?

Comments

• mrandmrskbm
    mrandmrskbm Posts: 31 Forumite
    Yes - It wasn't signed by the author (not a printed signature)
    Agree with Frankie56 above.

Although if you are really bothered you can contact the ASA
    https://www.asa.org.uk/advice-online/promotional-marketing-competitions.html
  • fredandwilma
    fredandwilma Posts: 1,251 Forumite
    Chutzpah Haggler I won, I won, I won! Rampant Recycler Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 19 May 2017 at 8:37PM
    I can't honestly say that I'd noticed my book wasn't signed and it doesn't really bother me. But, if you're promised something and it isn't as described, even if it is free, I think you have the right to complain or at least make the person / organisation aware of the mistake.

Hope you're reading this MSE!

If your book was a signed copy, it's likely it was signed on the second page, (the white page after the green page,) below 'One Pound Meals'.

Agree with Frankie56 above.

Although if you are really bothered you can contact the ASA
    https://www.asa.org.uk/advice-online/promotional-marketing-competitions.html

Yes, I know, thanks very much. ;)

Although some people may think my poll is a waste of time / amusing, it's serving a very useful purpose and many thanks to the people who have already voted.
    Fred - Where's your get up and go?

Barney - It just got up and went.

Carpe diem
  • Sallyforth
    Sallyforth Posts: 437 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Oh dear - am I really sad just being happy I won the book? Must admit I entered for the recipes not a signature. Dare I mention I hadn't even noticed the "signed" bit - oops!
    Tilly Tidying and
    PADing in 2024 £250.62
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________

RIP Mum & Dad - thanks for helping me on my journey to be
    Debt and Mortgage free from 2018

• mrandmrskbm
    mrandmrskbm Posts: 31 Forumite
    I wasn't personally bothered but surprised at how cruel some people are making fun of the original poster from behind their screens.

If somebody was promised one thing and received another, they have a right to persue. That's what the ASA are for. Someone could be a big fan wanting a signature etc. Imagine if it was a child receiving a football from their favourite player etc.

If you have no interest, why carry on following the thread and making jibes.
  • fredandwilma
    fredandwilma Posts: 1,251 Forumite
    Chutzpah Haggler I won, I won, I won! Rampant Recycler Debt-free and Proud!
    I wasn't personally bothered but surprised at how cruel some people are making fun of the original poster from behind their screens.

If somebody was promised one thing and received another, they have a right to persue. That's what the ASA are for. Someone could be a big fan wanting a signature etc. Imagine if it was a child receiving a football from their favourite player etc.

If you have no interest, why carry on following the thread and making jibes.

Thanks for your post.

I note posts has now been removed, either by a BG or the people who made the post? No matter.

What is even more surprising is the amount of 'thanks' these type of posts receive?

There was a debate on the site feedback forum recently (i won't post the link,) asking if the thanks button should be removed.

Many thanks to the people who have voted in my poll so far, and for the helpful replies and support.

f&w
    Fred - Where's your get up and go?

Barney - It just got up and went.

Carpe diem
  • anotheruser
    anotheruser Posts: 3,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    If somebody was promised one thing and received another, they have a right to persue.

Do they have a right?

Many people think they have rights when they actually have expectations.
    There is a significant difference.
  • lilias
    lilias Posts: 7,902 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Do they have a right?

Many people think they have rights when they actually have expectations.
    There is a significant difference.

They have a right. I have always found this a useful quote -

The mighty Edwin Mutton of the ISP (now retired and still much missed)
    wrote

"Given the variety and scope of promotional activity there will always be potential for error. Yet, as companies outsource execution and fulfilment, they are failing to take responsibility when things go wrong.
    "That is a mistake," says the ISP's Mutton. "The promoter is always responsible
    for giving the customer what they were promised.""
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    lilias wrote: »
    They have a right. I have always found this a useful quote -

The mighty Edwin Mutton of the ISP (now retired and still much missed)
    wrote

"Given the variety and scope of promotional activity there will always be potential for error. Yet, as companies outsource execution and fulfilment, they are failing to take responsibility when things go wrong.
    "That is a mistake," says the ISP's Mutton. "The promoter is always responsible
    for giving the customer what they were promised.""

There is a difference between the right to expect something and the right as in a legal entitlement - The ISP/IPM then and now had no legal powers, at worst if a company was a member they could chuck them out and maybe stamp their feet a bit but they could not force them to provide a prize or do anything else.
    Like the ASA there is no "penalty" for simply ignoring them as there is no legal requirement to deal with either body.
  • LisaKent
    LisaKent Posts: 16 Forumite
    Quick update for those who won a book and are interested....

I have heard back from the Advertising Standards Agency, they've advised making a complaint as the competition is a promotion for the book so it is an 'advertisement' and as such has to adhere to certain standards.

It has also been pointed out to me that many people donate competition/raffle prizes to charities. A 'signed' book would make a great prize and could raise a nice amount for a charity. Imagine donating a 'signed' book only for the charity to find out afterwards it hadn't been signed at all.

For those of you are happy with your book, that's great and I doubt this will be of any interest to you. For those who are not I've submitted an online ASA complaint form and will post an update on here when I've heard back from them.

Lisa.
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I've submitted an online ASA complaint form

That's all anybody who was unhappy needed to do.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure