Sky broadband customers - would you reccomend them?

I am looking to leave Talk Talk now my contract is over *praises the Lord* I'm interested in the Sky broadband deal featured in MSE's email this week (£9.50 pm + £9.95 set up fee).
What are the speeds like? I have heard they aren't good during peak times. I use the internet for general browsing (doing surveys, shopping, facebook etc), watching Now TV and other members of the household watch youtube videos.
What is your experience with Sky broadband?

Comments

• teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 17 May 2017 at 5:00PM
    I am looking to leave Talk Talk now my contract is over *praises the Lord* I'm interested in the Sky broadband deal featured in MSE's email this week (£9.50 pm + £9.95 set up fee).
    What are the speeds like? I have heard they aren't good during peak times. I use the internet for general browsing (doing surveys, shopping, facebook etc), watching Now TV and other members of the household watch youtube videos.
    What is your experience with Sky broadband?

If you go onto Sky's site , you can get a quotation for your speed, but it will probably be very close to what you get now.

I found Sky very good and only went to PlusNet because I couldn't get a good retention deal. (I'd previously had free broadband and half price line, but the new offer was free broadband only, though in today's market that is a good offer.)

My speed with PlusNet is over 1Mbps slower, so I get just under 5 compared to Sky's 6.4. (At the original time of posting PlusNet was just over 2 and reboot has boosted it to a 'wonderful 4.6) . With Sky, there were rarely dropouts (about twice a year; possibly maintenance as they coincided with those of a friend in another county ) and few poor speeds (was promised about 5 but got 6.4 on a regular basis).
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I would recommend Sky. Used them before.

It's an excellent deal.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I would recommend them but as for speed it's pointless asking as it depends entirely on your location, not mine. The same reason you should ignore anyone (unless it's your neighbour) who says they're no good at peak times.
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    We watch streaming vids and use the fibre option and even then it can be a little flakey during high traffic times but mostly is okay.
    The customer service is v good . Faults are dealt with very quickly.
  • lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I am a new customer to Sky, but they have been good so far. Speed is fine, service (when I had an issue) was excellent.

I have a better deal though, I get unlimited broadband/talk/line rental for £5.30 a month.

One thing I will say is that their hub is total crap. No GBit LAN, no dual band WiFi, and the modem doesn't seem to be much use either as it likes to be right next to the master socket.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    lstar337 wrote: »

I have a better deal though, I get unlimited broadband/talk/line rental for £5.30 a month.

One thing I will say is that their hub is total crap. No GBit LAN, no dual band WiFi, and the modem doesn't seem to be much use either as it likes to be right next to the master socket.

The Sky modem is brilliant compared to PlusNet's, which even looks cheap.

That is a good deal you have (new customer ?). I paid £8.70 for ADSL and line (former free and latter half price), but at the end of 12 months the only offer was free ADSL, so I left.
  • Sky was good when I was with them.

The current deal is good, but previously there's been a £50 credit onto your bill too.
  • lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    teddysmum wrote: »
    The Sky modem is brilliant compared to PlusNet's, which even looks cheap.
    Not as good as the BT home hub I had before, and it is missing the key features above.
    teddysmum wrote: »
    That is a good deal you have (new customer ?).
    Yeah, it was the last MSE deal. It was like the current deal but with a £50 credit on the bill.
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Have been with Sky now about 3 months.OK. Speed slightly faster than with Plusnet, and terrific price , after £50 credit £5.50 a month for line rental and broadband. Calls extra. No dropouts so far or freezing. Would recommend.
  • HonestJohn
    HonestJohn Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I am currently with Sky having switched from TalkTalk. My speed is slightly higher and they have been 100% reliable. I can recommend them.
    Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. Albert Einstein
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure