Harringtons Advisory???

Hi, I've been contacted by a company called Harringtons Advisory based in Bury, who tell me that I am on their list of people who are owed PPI. I have no idea what loan/credit card this may relate to so it's not something I can claim back myself as I wouldn't know where to start.

So, at the moment I don't think I'm owed anything so I'm thinking that even though they will take 39%, I will still be better off than I am now if I sign these forms...yes?

They have advised that all I have to do is sign the forms and return and they will do all the rest...I've heard of people using companies like this and then being then told that the lenders want you to go in to a branch and sign papers etc and it's a nightmare. Is it worth getting involved? Am I actually owed money just because I'm on their list?

Advice gratefully received!
Thanks!

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,051
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I've been contacted by a company called Harringtons Advisory based in Bury, who tell me that I am on their list of people who are owed PPI.

There is no such list. However, it is a common scam line that dodgy companies give out.
    so I'm thinking that even though they will take 39%, I will still be better off than I am now if I sign these forms...yes?

+20% VAT. However, these are sales reps paid commissions to get you to sign up. They rely on you telling them who you borrowed money with. They then send in a speculative letter on your behalf.
    Am I actually owed money just because I'm on their list?

Their list is the BT phonebook.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • magpiecottage
    magpiecottage Posts: 9,241
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    dunstonh wrote: »
    Their list is the BT phonebook.
    Or some database they have illegally got hold of.
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    The forms they send you will ask you to tell them about all of the loans and credit cards. A typical claims company will send a claim to all of the companies without bothering to ask whether PPI was involved or not.

If they do have a list you should ask them for details of who they got it from so that you can report the matter to the Information Commissioner so that they can investigate and criminally prosecute those involved in the theft of information.
  • I've just had a call from the same firm. Very persistent, persuasive caller. Used my stock 'send me something in writing' approach & was stunned when he said they did. I must've asked half a dozen times if getting something in writing constituted the start of a contract to which he replied 'no'. Really wishing I'd just hung up. Will see what arrives through the post, I've a feeling not responding won't go unnoticed!!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    SarahJT wrote: »
    I must've asked half a dozen times if getting something in writing constituted the start of a contract
    It doesn't start a contract. Only signing and returning the forms they send you will do that.
    SarahJT wrote: »
    Really wishing I'd just hung up.
    That would have been simpler. They'll likely now continue to ring asking why you haven't returned the forms…
  • Hi everyone, I have a little issue I need an advise on please from anyone in the same situation. I have been silly enough to sign up with the company above. They promised 8 weeks turn around for my PPI refund and to cut the story short, their communication is pretty much non existent. I just called them, placed a complaint, as it has crossed 2 months now and they claiming that the banks didn't respond yet. Other companies have 2 - 3 weeks turn around, so I said that it is not my business and it is their job to provide the services they promised. however I asked to stop the claim and waiting for a response from manager now. I just wanted to know whether someone is in the same situation or may have some advice for me? After the call with them, I also sent everything on email to have it "on record" and forwarded the email also to Financial ombudsman with a complaint...
    Any advise would be much appreciated..
    Thank you
    B.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,051
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    After the call with them, I also sent everything on email to have it "on record" and forwarded the email also to Financial ombudsman with a complaint...

The FOS does not deal with complaints about claims companies as they are not financial services companies. They come under the ministry of justice and that is who you should refer your complaint to.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,631
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    The bank/finance people have 8 weeks to respond to your request (including accepting or rejecting) so if this firm promised money back in 8 weeks they were essentially claiming something they knew could not be true - did they put that in writing? Given the firm could reject it you would then expect them to refer it to the FOS automatically (as they are determined to get a cut so will push it as far as possible regardless of the merits of the case - just mean in general, not yours specifically).

They can refer it to FOS after 8 weeks whatever the bank says so not sure why they haven't unless they were being sensible and giving them some leeway to avoid the 2 year or so waiting period at FOS.

You can always withdraw from the contract but note they can charge you for "work" done no matter how little they actually do.
  • basialo wrote: »
    Other companies have 2 - 3 weeks turn around
    Since the Banks are allowed eight weeks to consider complaints, and take that long in every instance, your statement is incorrect.
    basialo wrote: »
    I asked to stop the claim
    You can't "stop" the claim on the basis of a delay of only a few weeks. If the Bank have not responded, you'll have to be patient.
    basialo wrote: »
    forwarded the email also to Financial ombudsman with a complaint…
    As above, the Ombudsman has no jurisdiction over claim companies. Unfortunately, even if you complain to the correct regulator The Ministry Of Justice, they won't act unless there has plainly been some misconduct. There has so far been no misconduct.

Note that you have signed a legally-binding contract for the claims company to represent you in your PPI complaints. Nowhere in the contract will a timescale be mentioned (or promised) and so a minor delay is not grounds for you to attempt to cancel the contract without penalty.
    Nasqueron wrote: »

You can always withdraw from the contract but note they can charge you for "work" done no matter how little they actually do.
    Cancelling the contract is costly after the "cooling off" period has passed. The company will definitely charge.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,631
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Can, will, but shouldn't, the money grabbing world of the PPI claims company
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure