PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What's your daily routine ...

Options

Comments

• unhappybuuny79
    Options
    I work a full time job long hours and also as an entertainer sp am always out of the house so finding time to clean and organise is difficult, and especially when I'm prone to coming home at stupid o’clock and just putting things down (which I desperately despise and sort out first thing in the morning)

The one tip I do have for anyone – although its really simple, makes a world of difference.

When your going from one room to another take something with you, if your not going upstairs but the item needs to go upstairs put it on the stairs, next time you or your partner go op take it with you and put it away.

As for cleaning, I do occasionally have manic days and the whole house gets a good bottoming, I put plastic carrier bags on all the door handles for rubbish and recycling. Then when you finished a room you can just bin what you have and move onto the next one, I always start upstairs and work my way to the kitchen, that way your in the right place to make a cuppa when your finished and everything can go out the back door to the bin etc.

Organisation is the main thing, but if you get a routine and just do one thing at a time it soon becomes common practice and you don’t even know your doing it. – its got to the point now where I go to other peoples house and do the same!!!

Good luck with it all, but I'm sure your doing more than you think anyway..
  • rainmac
    rainmac Posts: 7,063 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker! Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Hi Lyn's, you are doing great! I don't work at all and struggle with the blooming housework. Being a SAHM with 2 pre-schoolers, routine is not really in my vocabulary but I try and do certain things to keep the mess to a minimum and then like others have blitz days. I have been reading the brilliant flylady thread and it has really helped me to focus on what needed doing and motivated me to get it done - I'm so glad I did!

I plan meals and do my grocery shopping online every week (tho' thinking of switching to a monthly delivery and topping up on fresh bits as we need them). I scan the discount vouchers board on MSE and often don't pay delivery, get money off or extra points.

I have a wipe clean board on the front of the fridge and a magnetic notebook & pen stuck to the side. On the wipe clean thing I write what we are eating for the next 7 days; who in the family is where and when (e.g. Mon - OH working away so late home; Wed - 10.30 docs appointment etc). On the notebook I write anything we run out of grocery-wise and needs to be ordered for the next weekly online shop.

I always put toys away at the end of the day once the kids are in bed and clear up the kitchen so at least the downstairs looks presentable.

Anything that is downstairs and should be upstairs I leave on the stairs and take up at the end of each day. And the same for anything upstairs that should be down.

I cook most of our meals from scratch - I obviously have more time to do this as I don't work but I do also batch cook. If making spag bol I make double and freeze half so there's a meal waiting in the freezer so I can have an easy cook night. There's loads of things that can be batch cooked and the brilliant people on here give loads of advice and recipe ideas. I do also give my kiddies pre-prepared stuff and I don't think this does them any harm. Don't know where I'd be without sausages and fishfingers!

I hate ironing and only do this once a week - Tues afternoon. Takes me 2-3 hours and then when it's done it's over for another week - yippee!

Good luck and do drop in on the flylady thread, it's great!
    :wave: If you want the rainbow, you've got to put up with the rain :wave:
  • rainmac
    rainmac Posts: 7,063 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker! Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Forgot to say we also have a filing cabinet (hidden in a cupboard) but we have about 18 months worth of filing sitting on top of the cabinet waiting to be sorted/filed/shredded.

As it's in the cupboard I can't see it unless I open the cupboard - out of sight, out of mind! Will get round to it one day but I'd rather spend time with my boys than doing filing!!!
    :wave: If you want the rainbow, you've got to put up with the rain :wave:
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 40,997 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'd prepare the meal for the Tuesday on the Monday.. spuds peeled can be stored covered in water in the fridge for a couple of days.. Something mincey can be heated next day after overnighting in the fridge. Jacket spuds can be baked at the weekend and frozen for midweek.

A slowcooker can be filled the night before and have everything thrown in the night before and dinner is ready when you get in.. I'd be tempted to sling a big piece of pork or a chicken (or 2) in .. freeze some, use some for that night and the rest with salad the next night.. and a spare in the freezer.

Drop the food shopping and shop online!! have it delivered late when the girls are in bed.. the midweek late slots are also cheaper.. and you spend less if you aren't being tempted by offers and 'bargains'.. and you don't need to wear your armour plating!

Decide which tasks you HAVE to do.. the laundry/pot washing etc bung them on the 'daily' list

Then decide on jobs you would like to get done during that one week.. vacuuming the stairs, cleaning the kitchen, filing, washing the windows.. and incorporate that into your day as and when you can.. and hubby can help too.. marriage and parenthood is a partnership.. equal in all portions..

Don't be too ambitious the first week.. this is all new. You will get there and when the girls are a little older it gets way easier.. from the youngest being about 2.5 it does get so much easier!! .. promise!!
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • exlibris
    exlibris Posts: 696 Forumite
    Options
    Think of things you can do while watching TV. I file, mend and do my nails. I used to knit and sew but don't do much of that anymore. Also think of things you can do while machines are working for you. I try to do the bedrooms while the washer is on. Sometimes it becomes a race between me and the washer as to who finishes first. The next load may be bathroom and staircase etc.

Women are supposed to be good at multi-tasking so make it work for you!
  • Scared1980
    Scared1980 Posts: 185 Forumite
    Options
    Just wanted to say a HUGE thank you to everyone who has responded with great advice... It means a lot to me.... I love the idea of always leaving a room with something that belongs elsewhere... I won't even realise I am tidying lol!

Right... an update... tonight I got home at 17:30, did the girls their dinner and then while they were scoffing I took the washing out of the machine and put another load on, hung the first load on the airer and then emptied the dishwasher. Once the girls had finished their dinner DD1 helped me to do a bag boogie??? is that the right phrase?? and got about 15 old unplayed with toys to give to the charity shop tomorrow:j the toy room/dining room looks better already!!!

I am checking out the posts in between my filing!!! have divided the pile in 4 so I can do 1/4 a night so I will be nice and clear for Mondays postman visit lol!

You guys have REALLY motivated me... so thank you soooo much and please keep the suggestions coming.... I will keep posting with progress so I don't "fall of the wagon" lol!

oh and I used the £20 my mum gave me for easter and invested in a whiteboard for the kitchen :j

Lyns
    x
    I am a daughter, a sister and a friend.. but the role that fits me most is "mum"
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 40,997 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    WTG Lyns.. you are quite welcome to pop over to the flylady thread if you wish.. I'm sure you'll find lots of motivation there.. and you can share some of it with the rest of the lazy beggars!! ;)

Go get that filing.. naughty filing... BAAAAD filing!! lol
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • wendy+5
    wendy+5 Posts: 342 Forumite
    Options
    Been reading along and nodding my head! :rolleyes: It all seems so simple when it's written down and I *KNOW* what to do but trying to get it done is another thing altogether.

I'm a SAHM too, and by the time I get the kids into bed and settled it can be 8.30pm and the last thing I want to do when I come downstairs is tidy up!!

Every day I start off with the best of intentions but it all seems to go to custard.

Anyways, off to look at flylady. Been putting it off for ages!
  • angchris
    angchris Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    Options
    before i let myself go to bed at night (5 am now!:rotfl: ) i make sure the washing up is done and put away and that the kitchen and living room look respectable. i put the washing machine on so that its ready to be hung out in the morning, i throw the ingredients into my breadmaker and put it on its timer so i have a lovely fresh bread when i wake up.
    i also try to organise the next days tea by unwrapping a frozen chicken and plonking it on some chopped veg in the slow cooker by the morning the chicken or whatever has defrosted and i just have to flick the switch to turn it on before i leave in the morning.
    i have made a load of sarnies and frozen them so anyone wanting sarnies in this house its their responsibility to grab frozen sarnies/fruit/crisps etc before they leave.
    i almost always shop online, its much easier if the kids are just kept well away from those places!! you don`t get tantrums when you say no and you dont have to contend with them running around and picking stuff up :mad: its cheaper to do it online as you don`t get tempted buy rubbish and you can use codes to get free delivery. far better/easier/quicker/cheaper/more relaxed to sit there with a cuppa when the kids have gone to bed.
    don`t buy clothes that need ironing!! ;) i have found that its much easier just not to buy clothes that look terrible without ironing. i wash my clothes, dry them on the line then try and fold stuff up immediately so it doesnt get crumpled. ds always has non iron shirts for chrimbo ;):D they are more expensive initially but oh so worth it. infact i think the only thing i do really iron is ds`s white school shirts but as he is now doing his gcse`s and leaving school very shortly i might get away with ironing nowt soon :eek: :rotfl:
    do little bits and often, tidy and declutter as you go. try doing the quick 4 minute run around with the kids when the tv adverts are on and make a game out of it, its surprizing actually what you can get done in short spurts with little helpers.
    you sound like you are doing a good job already but just kinda getting caught up in the humdrum of life with work and kids, im sure you will be fine....angchris xx
    proper prior planning prevents p!$$ poor performance! :p
    Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money
    quote from an american indian.
  • exlibris
    exlibris Posts: 696 Forumite
    Options
    wendy+5 wrote: »
    Been reading along and nodding my head! :rolleyes:

I'm a SAHM too, and by the time I get the kids into bed and settled it can be 8.30pm and the last thing I want to do when I come downstairs is tidy up!!

Every day I start off with the best of intentions but it all seems to go to custard.

Anyways, off to look at flylady. Been putting it off for ages!

Try getting the kids to help tidy. My friend came with her grandchildren last week (2 &4) to play with mine (7&10) When it was time for them to go she was amazed that mine started to put toys away without being asked and how hers joined in and found it fun to do. MIL aged 95 has always had a small toy box for visiting children who are expected to put things away when they leave. I learned from her!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure