What small DFW things will you do this week? Wc 17/10/16

LuckyPenny
LuckyPenny Posts: 1,253 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Xmas Saver!
edited 17 October 2016 at 7:49AM in Debt-free wannabe
When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important
Competition wins £13,987.09

Comments

• LuckyPenny
    LuckyPenny Posts: 1,253 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Xmas Saver!
    Whoop I started the threat. I'm in work today so just a few things:
    - lunch and drinks provided
    - topcashback surfing to win prizes
    - postcode lottery
    - collect a dress I bought on Facebook for £5. Hope this cures my urge to spend money on new clothes!

Have a good day everyone! LP
    Competition wins £13,987.09
  • katy_ann
    katy_ann Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Morning LuckyPenny and thanks for starting the thread! Today is my first day on my maternity leave, it feels very strange knowing that I won't be in work for the next year! I'm going to try for a NSD day! I'm going to see my Mum a bit later and take her to the shops and then this afternoon I think I'm going to potter around and try and pack my hospital bag! Other things are:
    - Check bank accounts
    - All meals from home/Mum's
    - Surveys/Swagbucks
    - NSD
    - Pack hospital bag

Have a lovely Monday everyone :) x
    Debt free once - Back again | Current debt: £3002.96 - January 2023 | Currently repaying £50 a month - Estimated DFD Jan 2028 | Make £2023 in 2023 #51 - £33.75/£2023
  • twiggy86
    twiggy86 Posts: 2,137 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Morning guys!

Need to get back into the habit of posting on here regularly, although I have been reading for the last week to get motivation and ideas!

So today I have/will:-
    * check banks
    * pay £2.43 from quidco off cc
    * walk around in the dark to save turning on lights!
    * take lunch to work
    * take letter to work so I can call about balance transfer
    * call (from work) new cc re balance transfer issue
    * post on here
    * pay money into bank
    * buy bulk circuits sessions to save £20 rather than pay as I go
    * snap receipt
    * dinner from stores
    * go to circuits
    * wash hair and let dry naturally

That's everything I can think of for now! Hope you all have a good day.
    Starting again..
  • ziggy2407
    ziggy2407 Posts: 4,077 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 17 October 2016 at 10:02AM
    Good Morning All

LP - Thanks for starting us off today
    katy_ann - Enjoy your maternity leave

Hi to all of the regulars and a BIG welcome to all the newbies, this is a really FAB thread with so many lovely, caring, considerate and supportive people.

Bathroom refit continues, over the weekend we've done tip runs and painted the newly plastered bathroom as well as the normal weekend stuff - shopping, footie match for DS, exhausted now. Today's list:

Packed lunch for DH & DS - Done
    Check Bank - Done
    Stew in SC - Done
    Freegler collecting - Done
    Bump listsing on freegle/ebay -
    Start prepping for decorating in the attic -
    Craft -
    Declutter -
    Bump Sale Posts on FB -
    Walk at least 7000 step for Bounts points -
    Continue purge on emails -
    Surveys -
    Enter a few comps -
    All meals from cupboards/fridge/freezer -
    Check: Lucky Phone, Ashleigh, Numberplatelotto, FPL -

Have a great day!

C x
    Goodreads 2024 Challenge: 30/80
    Goodreads 2023 Challenge: 77/52

• Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    katy_ann wrote: »
    Morning LuckyPenny and thanks for starting the thread! Today is my first day on my maternity leave, it feels very strange knowing that I won't be in work for the next year! I'm going to try for a NSD day! I'm going to see my Mum a bit later and take her to the shops and then this afternoon I think I'm going to potter around and try and pack my hospital bag! Other things are:
    - Check bank accounts
    - All meals from home/Mum's
    - Surveys/Swagbucks
    - NSD
    - Pack hospital bag

Have a lovely Monday everyone :) x

Hope you have a great maternity leave. :T
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Hi all

Has anyone heard from Legomum? I went to PM her but it looks like she has deactivated her account. If you are reading I hope you are ok.

The list

1. Checked banking. A week till we get more funds and things are extremely tight. Thankfully I will get some more cash mid week (£40) & £75 a day later but it has to pay a bill of £56 still.
    2. No sign of my missing cheques (£55 lost in the post it would appear)
    3. Heating off, hoping to last till November at least. My record was December 1st :)
    4. Lunch will probably be BLT again as I came back from the event on Saturday with a kilo of bacon and 10 ciabattas.
    5. Relist my unsold eBay items
    6. NSD - this depends on how the nappy supplies last. Although I know I have £3.90 in nectar points and a 1000 point voucher to scan still.
    7. Will get the kids out in the garden for play later. Must wrestle DS away from his darn Pokemon game.
    8. Dinner will be chicken pasta bake to use up some of the lovely roast veg from yesterday's meal and of course the chicken.
    9. Walk any journeys
    10. Use up rest of Eton mess for tonight's pudding

Hope everyone is well.

Bob
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • Hoping for a really focused week.

Have done the mail and no nasty shocks. Now need to concentrate on no lapses
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,106 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 17 October 2016 at 10:44AM
    Morning all,
    Yes, it will be odd without Legomum's awesome lists. Hope she is ok.
    Bob - £999? £999???? Three figures just feels so much better then four, doesn't it? I know you'll keep up the good work. Look forward to seeing that become a 989, then a 979.....& down it goes.
    I have a meeting tonight, which I've prepared for nice & early, so can get on with my day. Money saving stuff today as follows:
    *Overnight laundry on cheap tariff. Already pegged out. Rain forecast for tomorrow so have put another load on at full price (that's not like me, is it?!) but I'm figuring that getting it part dry on the line today will be cheaper than running the heated airer for extra hours to do it from scratch indoors.
    *Made 1/4 lb-ers for dinner. Mince from freezer, l/o from something else, ditto bread rolls. Will pick lettuce, watercress & cucumber from garden later & serve with a big mixed salad.
    *Rounded up loose change & paid into shrapnel box.
    *Paid another 50 p into my sealed pot.
    *Entered a competition.
    *Moved some funds around to keep budgets straight.
    *Updated grocery budget.
    *Found a stamp I didn't know I had for B-in-L's birthday card.
    *Did 2 surveys.
    *Updated ebay account & reminded mr f to contact buyer who wants to negotiate a price for several small items as a 'job lot'.
    *Youtube grafting technique so I can join the pieces of Mum's present. The knitting is all done on it, just need to sew in ends & graft together.
    *Knit more of S-in-L's present.
    *Two baths from one lot of hot water. Am targeting bits of toiletry products for 'Use-it-up' this month as seem to have lots of small amounts of things hanging around.
    *Still no heating on. Big cardi on instead. We are aiming not to put it on until 2nd week of Nov, but if it gets a lot colder, we won't be silly about it, I'd just rather save our energy bill money for using more when it's really cold than being feeble now. But when it gets to the stage where my feet are cold most of the time, it'll be on! I don't like freezy feet.
    OK, washer seems to have finished, so will go & peg 2nd load out in the sunshine.
    Wishing you all a productive money-saving week,
    F x
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • Hi guys. Quick post for me as am just having a 5 minute break at work.

Small things for the day:

Lunch is lo aubergine bake pulled out of freezer
    Had crumpets for breakfast at work using work butter and electricity (left early this morning! )
    Took note of mileage to update expenses form
    No pers spends for me today. Might need to get a couple of bits for work though...
    Making bns soup tonight with free bns (given to me by fellow allotmenteer ;)
    2nd part of sock heel tonight when madam goes to bed
    One poll
    Might list a couple of fleabags items tonight
    Need to contact friend re meeting up on Friday

That'll do. Katy enjoy your ml! X
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • Morning all (just :o) - Just having a quick cuppa and 5 minutes away from work before I get back on it. Katy - enjoy and best wishes.

I've just managed to PM Lego Mum I used one where I had messaged her before, so hopefully it will go through. Hope you're ok.

My list for today:

3 loads of washing outside to dry, its blowy but cold, hoping at least half of it dries and then I can do the rest on the airer overnight
    Were away at the end of the week, so food is eating what we have and using left overs - macaroni and cauli bake for tea and tomorrow probably cauli cheese risotto
    Ate crust of bread for toast, as it's usually left for breadcrumbs
    Called council to get DD form for our garden bin as it's £9 a year saving if you pay by DD, but you can't set a DD for a year you receive a bill. If I don't do it now I'll forget and get next years bill and won't be able to do it then either
    made appointment for DD for flu jab
    Cleaned bathroom
    Check surveys, FPL and bank
    Dropped DH and DDs in town rather than them paying to park
    Checked wool out at a shop in town but didn't buy as it was very expensive, will purchase on line later in week as I don't want it to come whilst were away
    DD1 to dentist
    Package and post 2 fleabay parcels
    No heating on

Right, check back later. PF
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business