Aqua - Payments Wrongly Claiming Late Payments

Hiya

My wif has a issue with Aquacard but she does not like asking this question online so I said I would do it on her behalf.

She has had a creditcard with Aqua for several years now and always made her payments on or around the 16th-19th of each month so they have the required payment on the following due by date which is around the 1st of each month.

Recently she has been getting phone calls and now letters stating that she has not made the payments and that they are charging her a late payment fee (£12), when in fact she has actually paid this 12 days before the due by date.

When I encourged her to challenge them on this when she got the letter, upon calling them they acknowledged that she had made the payment but due to the statements being produced on or around the 20th of each month they say that this payments she is making is being processsed as a additional payment (not apart of the monthly minium payments) and every month she will end up being showing as being late paying, which is crazy.

So she agreed to change the payments dates to the end of the month but Aqua want the payment she already made this month then a additional one on the 30th, so she will end up paying twice in one month due to the pathetic computer system they have. She spoke to customer service yesterday, but they still keep on calling (had about 4 phone calls since she made this agreement) so I am getting really annoyed with them and threaten to report them to the Financial Service Authority and OFCOM for nussiance phone calls.

Are Aqua in the wrong for doing this? both harassing my wife for a late payment that is in fact early and the nussiance phone calls?

Comments

• YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Her payments need to reach the account between the statement date and it's respective payment due date. Aqua are correct in stating she made two payments during one cycle and then none the next. She is in the wrong, not them.

Statement dates do vary, as you now know. So best she waits in future and only makes a payment AFTER she's received the statement. Alternatively, she could set up a direct debit which will ensure, so long as she has funds available in the current account, she never misses a payment again.

BTW, the Financial Services Authority doesn't exist anymore, so don't embarrass yourself by making silly "threats" like that. ;)

As for OFCOM, she owes them money, as contractually agreed, so they've every right to chase it...by whatever means they choose.
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,134 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    You need to wait until the statement is produced to make a payment on it. If you make a payment before the statement is produced it will be taken off the previous statement balance.

Tell your wife to set up a DD to be taken on the due date, that way there will be no mix up of when it is due. Make sure the funds are available in the bank account. (make sure the DD is set up in time for the 1st payment, sometimes needs 1 more manual payment due to the time taken to set up a DD)
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    edited 16 October 2016 at 11:18AM
    AirWulf wrote: »
    Hiya

My wif has a issue with Aquacard but she does not like asking this question online so I said I would do it on her behalf.

She has had a creditcard with Aqua for several years now and always made her payments on or around the 16th-19th of each month so they have the required payment on the following due by date which is around the 1st of each month.

Recently she has been getting phone calls and now letters stating that she has not made the payments and that they are charging her a late payment fee (£12), when in fact she has actually paid this 12 days before the due by date.

When I encourged her to challenge them on this when she got the letter, upon calling them they acknowledged that she had made the payment but due to the statements being produced on or around the 20th of each month they say that this payments she is making is being processsed as a additional payment (not apart of the monthly minium payments) and every month she will end up being showing as being late paying, which is crazy.

So she agreed to change the payments dates to the end of the month but Aqua want the payment she already made this month then a additional one on the 30th, so she will end up paying twice in one month due to the pathetic computer system they have. She spoke to customer service yesterday, but they still keep on calling (had about 4 phone calls since she made this agreement) so I am getting really annoyed with them and threaten to report them to the Financial Service Authority and OFCOM for nussiance phone calls.

Are Aqua in the wrong for doing this? both harassing my wife for a late payment that is in fact early and the nussiance phone calls?

So she is making payments before the statement is produced so they are being credited to the previous statements debt but approx two weeks late.

Why not make payments after the current statement is produced and before the current statement payment due date? She may need to make one extra payment to get in-line.
  • yeah she is now, but as they already had the payment then they have no rights to keep calling our landline when they already now had the extra payment, but that easily sovled...unplug the phone :)
  • Inner_Zone wrote: »
    So she is making payments before the statement is produced so they are being credited to the previous statements debt but approx two weeks late.

Why not make payments after the current statement is produced and before the current statement payment due date? She may need to make one extra payment to get in-line.

Yeah she is doing this now, but the point is that she is paying actually early as soon as she is paid, just seems rather stupid really that Aqua view is as late when in fact its not
  • Credit card companies can't micro manage accounts to that level. They simply want you to pay between the statement and due dates.
  • AirWulf wrote: »
    yeah she is now, but as they already had the payment then they have no rights to keep calling our landline when they already now had the extra payment, but that easily sovled...unplug the phone :)

If she's not paid in the appropriate period they'll call because they're in the right.
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,134 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Yeah she is doing this now, but the point is that she is paying actually early as soon as she is paid, just seems rather stupid really that Aqua view is as late when in fact its not

Because statements are produced and she is not paying that statement on time, she is late. She will continue to be late and every month when they report her account activity it will be reported as late unless she brings the account into order.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    yeah she is now, but as they already had the payment then they have no rights to keep calling our landline when they already now had the extra payment, but that easily sovled...unplug the phone :)
    Your OP said she had agreed to make another payment on the 30th of this month. Therefore they haven't had the extra payment yet...have they?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure