PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Two)

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I ate early so that I don't get hungry when I'm sitting in complete darkness until it's later than any random door knocker could attempt to knock it. ....

I thought it was just me. I ate early and have already pulled the blackout blind right down over the windowcill in the kitchen and the lights are off and hall curtain drawn. I have three candles on and a small reading light, none of which can be seen. This is the only time of the year these graspers come around. no other time of the year and I don`t feel charitable to them at all. Why should I? I don`t even know them. The younger ones come at 6ish with parents lurking and then older ones come up to about 9. It always been one way and I stopped being generous (foolish) two years ago. There will be several rings tonight as it is a dry evening

I didn`t have a nap but we are programmed by the body clock to have that doze at 2ish. I just read my book and tidied the kitchen instead

Califia almond milk will be finished tomorrow, was the best of the lot but not organic and with added calcium and thickeners. I have one more spare in the fridge but will continue to make my own pure unadulterated organic version

Its going to be oatmeal porridge tomorrow, soaked all night with some chopped dried apple and cinnamon. If I soak it, then I cannot be CBA. No idea about the other meals but thankfully my order arrives in the morning, maybe I will have those roll mops with roasted parsnips and other veg. I CBA with doing fancy meals these days but tbh am enjoying my food as plain food. The roasted parsnips are almost like thick crisps, lush
  • [QUOTE=caronc;73337698
    The chap managed to get a fair bit of the prep done at the front today and hopes if the weather holds to start painting tomorrow. After a lot of deliberation I've gone for a deep burgundy colour which I think will compliment the sandstone and is in keeping with the style/age of the house. :) I'm so looking forward to seeing it finished.[/QUOTE]

Good choice and I'm hoping high gloss finish :D

Meg72 - Loving the craft work, I wish I had the dexterity and patience for that kind if work.

All this talk about Nut/Veggie Roasts has got me thinking....I need to try this. Never tried it before - mostly omnivores around the table at Christmas and the 1 veggie prefers to bring along a couple of meat-free sausages to pop in the oven, for heavens sake. With chestnut mushrooms on offer at the moment I just might have a go at one.

PN - I'm with you my blinds and curtains are already closed and any knocks at the door wont be answered tonight - I don't know any of the children on the street and as children we weren't allowed to go guising - my mother said it was begging :eek:

Its been a bit of a nuisance kind of day raining all morning and by the time it dry up I was past it and CBA, supposed to be nicer tomorrow.

Started off the day with porridge and stewed apples again, which reminds me I must soak some prunes for tomorrow. Lunch was more freezer stock soup - Cauliflower Cheese this time, with a slice of toast.

Had a notion for some chicken, just plain chicken no sauce, no spice, no flavourings or additives so popped some thighs in the slow cooker and having one for tea with some baby potatoes, mashed carrot & neeps and a mealie pudding :D - hit the spot perfectly.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    kittie wrote: »
    The younger ones come at 6ish with parents lurking and then older ones come up to about 9.
    Cheers for that, I have been wondering how long I'm supposed to sit in the dark. Having never done it, never seen anybody do it, I've no idea of the timings. I shut my curtains and got my "probably final coffee for awhile" just 10 minutes ago :)

To approach my house you walk along a path that then goes right past my huge bay kitchen window, so there's quite a bit of "walking all the way round the big bay" ... so I can't go in there. Then there's a gate that's locked/jammed.... so if anybody should give it a go they should just s0d off at that point. But if I make the slightest sign of light in the kitchen, the big window they have to walk to/past/round is a big eye-drawer if they're trying to work out if anybody's in.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 31 October 2017 at 5:47PM
    .... any knocks at the door wont be answered tonight - I don't know any of the children on the street and as children we weren't allowed to go guising - my mother said it was begging
    I'm not "against" it as such - but, like you, I don't know them - and so you never know who is knocking on the door ... and the later it gets the more "threatening" those knocks might appear. If it's "older ones" I'm only 5' tall and if there are 5-6 of them I'm alone so would feel outnumbered.

As I've never had a knock, I've got nothing for anybody ... and if I'd bought stuff it'd have been "cheap/nasty" stuff that I'd not want ... because the alternative would be to buy "nice stuff" that I'd then begrudge giving away.

So I'd either be stuck with cheap/nasty sweets I'd never intended to buy and have to eat them all .... or end up with no nice sweeties as I gave them all away.

So it's best all round if I simply pretend to be out.

:)

I saw in some news programme/website some really STUPID idea - somewhere had produced a poster that you stick in your window if you don't want a knock! How mad is that? Firstly it'd rely on you knowing about it - getting hold of one - and sticking it in the window; that flags you up as a "miserable bugg4h". Better to produce a poster for those who WILL accept knocks as it promotes more of a "good feel" factor when the knockers spot them.

Let those who wish to take part go to the extra effort of promoting themselves... because it doesn't matter if they didn't get the memo and sat with a box of sweets nobody came for, than the other way round.
  • I saw in some news programme/website some really STUPID idea - somewhere had produced a poster that you stick in your window if you don't want a knock! How mad is that? Firstly it'd rely on you knowing about it - getting hold of one - and sticking it in the window; that flags you up as a "miserable bugg4h". Better to produce a poster for those who WILL accept knocks as it promotes more of a "good feel" factor when the knockers spot them.

Let those who wish to take part go to the extra effort of promoting themselves... because it doesn't matter if they didn't get the memo and sat with a box of sweets nobody came for, than the other way round.

I totally agree.

I forgot all about it a few years ago and made the mistake of answering the door found two on the doorstep, closed the door another knock and another two, closed again and another knock - problem was I didn't have any sweets so ended up emptying my bl00dy fruit bowl :mad: and knowing the kids around here they probably chucked the fruit into the neighbours garden.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,116
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 31 October 2017 at 6:51PM

Maybe it is just round here, but seems the convention is put a lighted pumpkin on your doorstep if you don't mind a knock, no pumpkin = bu66er off

House a few doors down has a pumpkin, rest of us are not playing, perhaps they are like moths and just go to the flame?

I only once had a knock a few years back, but my house is not on a through path, plus up steps, in the dark, and they would have to pass the lit house so maybe they never bother, plus not many kids round here either

I had the pie & chips. Pie was excellent, think I will buy another next time in W/rose while still on offer

Last banana + Greek yoghurt & honey to follow. I really fancied a tin of rice pud but seems my cache has been scoffed and not replenished:(

Found a mini Jane Asher Xmas pud during my hunt. It was YS, 25p from £land in January. Worth 25p, and nukeable. BBE mid Dec 2017, could just make it to Xmas, but now I know it is there it may not make it until December

PS, not sitting in the dark, no sweets either, but bell is on mute
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • poppystar
    poppystar Posts: 1,274
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

I saw in some news programme/website some really STUPID idea - somewhere had produced a poster that you stick in your window if you don't want a knock! How mad is that? Firstly it'd rely on you knowing about it - getting hold of one - and sticking it in the window; that flags you up as a "miserable bugg4h". Better to produce a poster for those who WILL accept knocks as it promotes more of a "good feel" factor when the knockers spot them.

I had one put through my door but haven't put it in the window for fear that would be a red rag to have my window 'tricked'.
    Nice to know I'm not the only miserable b&*(^%r around:D
    No chocs to give them so another one sitting in the dark:(

Just hope they've all gone away before GBBO final starts:)
  • I always thought the code for "It's okay to knock" was a pumpkin in the window and I have seen ones on sale for that purpose - but havent spotted a single house with a pumpkin in place (though it's true that I don't walk around the estates where more 'family' type households tend to congregate).

I don't know whether it's not the custom to do that here - or it would be - but this is a poor area and so...

I've stayed away from the front of my house in case - though my house is a bit out of the way...
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,059
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Good evening everyone,

Halloween is generally still quite big round here but it's "guising" not trick/treat and the kids have to sing/recite a poem/tell a joke to get goodies. The accepted etiquette is that if your storm door is closed (all the houses in my area have them) and your porch isn't lit that you don't knock, regardless of what other lights are on . After 8pm is a no-no. When my boys were growing up there were lots of young kids about so it was always a busy evening.:) My neighbour & I used to take turns at holding a wee party for our kids around 7ish (it got them indoors) and a couple of other families near us with traditional games like dooking for apples before it was time for hot chocolate and a "scary" story then home. :) Nowadays the only kids nearby are my neighbours so I've popped spooky chocolates through to them earlier. My door is shut and my light is off so anyone knocks I know they're chancers! (Even better my doorbell is off the wall due to the painting so nothing to ring;))

Need2bthrifty - the paint is fairly glossy but not high gloss. I went for a make that is very weather resistant and more importantly not prone to salt erosion. A tad more expensive but should last at least 10 years. Very shiny gloss loses it's lustre quite quickly here due to the salt:)

I've cooked my last batch of my homegrown tomatoes for passatta :(, I used my new "Lakeland" silicon lidded casserole dish (I really like it) so I could nuke them and I'll sieve them tomorrow. There are handful left in the fruit bowl that are nearly ripe but these will get eaten. I'm so pleased that after having to pick so many green ones due to blight that they've all ripened (or will) in the conservatory :D
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Popped into Iceland this morning to get some of the Chicago town deep dish pizzas on 7 day deal for 89p box of two. as it was the last day today. got four boxes of the mega meaty which I love. Picked up a tray of Pork shoulder steaks at half price 2.50 for pack of 10.

B Couple of oat and raisin cookies, got 3 packs redued to 10p each on sunday at asda

L. leftover pasta bake from yesterday

D. Pork loin steak and bubble an squeak, out of freezer

Snack cream crackers and couple of blue cheese diarylea with a few grapes

Steam cleaned the bathroom as its only had a lick and a promise for weeks.

Am really fancying a nut roast after all the chat. Not something I have had often.
    Slimming World at target
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport