ESA letter, includes "end" date?

Comments

• Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    Accacia wrote: »
    I never received a letter from DWP about my ESA they just increased the waiting amount to an amount that showed I was in support group. I only found out anything about it when I requested my medical report (ESA85) from DWP and saw I was recommended a medium award so in theory until November 2017 though I know it could be anytime. I never got a £10 last year is this a new thing?

No, it's been around for at least 30 years, hence why it's such a ridiculously low amount. Back then you could at least by enough food and treats for Xmas dinner. Now you'd be lucky enough to be able to afford a chicken let alone a turkey!

Were you on benefits previously? It's automatically given to those on qualifying benefits.
  • Accacia
    Accacia Posts: 11 Forumite
    I've been on ESA since March 2016 and though applied for PIP in Jan 2016 I didn't get the assessment until March 2017. so at the time I was on ESA and HB/CTC. At the time the extra £10 would have made me cry as I was living on like £2 a week for food but I since borrowed money to move so I'm just paying back now. I'm not going to try and claim it just curious.
  • gbhxu
    gbhxu Posts: 331 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I think that the Christmas Payment is a red herring.

I think it could be when Contribution Based ESA runs out and you've then got to apply for Income Related ESA.
  • GotToChange
    GotToChange Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    I've been on ESA since March 2016 and though applied for PIP in Jan 2016 I didn't get the assessment until March 2017. so at the time I was on ESA and HB/CTC. At the time the extra £10 would have made me cry as I was living on like £2 a week for food but I since borrowed money to move so I'm just paying back now. I'm not going to try and claim it just curious.

You won't need to claim it - it is paid automatically :)
  • GotToChange
    GotToChange Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    gbhxu wrote: »
    I think that the Christmas Payment is a red herring.

I think it could be when Contribution Based ESA runs out and you've then got to apply for Income Related ESA.

I am already on Income-based ESA; was already receiving ESA before the assessment.
    :o
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I never received a letter from DWP about my ESA they just increased the waiting amount to an amount that showed I was in support group. I only found out anything about it when I requested my medical report (ESA85) from DWP and saw I was recommended a medium award so in theory until November 2017 though I know it could be anytime. I never got a £10 last year is this a new thing?
    ESA isn't a qualifying benefit for the xmas bonus. PIP/DLA is one of them. If you qualified last year you would have automatically got it. If you didn't get it it's because you didn't qualify.
  • Accacia
    You won't need to claim it - it is paid automatically :)

I didn't get it, I went back and checked, I meant I won't go back and try and claim the one from last year, not worth rocking the boat.
  • Accacia
    OH! I understand then :D I was on ESA but my PIP took 14 months to even get to assessment so I'd applied but wasn't on it then. Thanks!
  • tobykim
    tobykim Posts: 437 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Feral_Moon wrote: »
    Letters are sent out at the end of November to all those who qualify for the £10 bonus and it is then paid into your account during the first week of December. It is a separate one off payment. It does not affect the rate of any of the qualifying benefits.

I've never had one, had the bonus but no letter, and neither has my husband for his pension
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    tobykim wrote: »
    I've never had one, had the bonus but no letter, and neither has my husband for his pension

You must be an anomaly then as earlier in the thread you claimed to have received a letter last week stating your benefit was changing due to the Xmas bonus - but income related ESA isn't even a qualifying benefit.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure