Frump to Fab 2018 - Fabulous Dahhhhlings

Comments

• shanks77
    shanks77 Posts: 1,182 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Hi fabbers delurking as I feel I may get kicked out of here for being really unfab. Since I lost my dog Xmas 2016 I haven't been walking as much and as a consequence have put on almost 3stone:eek:. Now I was seriously overweight before that so now it's just a joke. I do walk with a friend and her dogs as much as I can but really need to get back on track.
    I have about 4-5 outfits that I wear in turn and none of them look great but they fit so will do just now. I do keep my hair nice but not cut as often as I should and at my work always wear makeup so not a total loss.
    Hopefully you guys can give me a kick up the arris and help me on my way this year.
    Ok enough of the pity party welcome to the newbies (what a hypocrite when I haven't posted in months lol). Good to see familiar faces again and will try and post a bit more often.
    Thanks for "listening " xx
  • sashybo
    sashybo Posts: 4,503 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    maddiemay wrote: »
    sashybo - For years now I have used small indie lingerie shops to buy my bras, lucky to have had a great one in Dorset for 10 years+ and then found one about an hour's drive away when I moved here. I am small back and bigger frontage and in both shops the proprietors would always put me in ones that felt tight, but they assured me that all the weight should be supported by the band and not the straps and that they would give enough with wear and washing, thankfully they were right:D

I hope that yours are comfy enough soon.

Thanks maddiemay hopefully I’m not just squeezing into a size too small.:rotfl: No, I mostly think it is because I’ve been wearing the wrong size for years.:o My bras weren’t a great fit before I got pregnant, then obviously didn’t fit at all during the pregnancy & afterwards they were a total disaster in the sizing. DS is 7 months & that’s how long it’s taken me to get round to getting new bras even though it was obvious that my old ones didn’t fit at all. :o I kept wearing my pregnancy comfort bras that are basically crop tops for grown ups.:rotfl: They are so comfy but didn’t give much support. Thanks again to chanie for the bra fitting blog post. :beer:

Did my yoga last night & that takes me to 7 days in a row, I’m really enjoying it & glad I made time for it again. Day no 8 today so will do it shortly. No real fabbing apart from cleansing & moisturising my face and neck this morning, oh and perfume too even though I wasn’t going anywhere. ;) Will use hand cream before bed & after using my Clarisonic with facial wash & putting on my night cream.

I ordered a couple of pairs of trousers from H&M that are in the sale - one stretchy high waist pair of trousers and one pair of jersey type trousers that will probably be for days at home with the baby. No idea what the sizing is like so hopefully they will fit but will just return if not. Also ordered some kids clothes - a couple of things in bigger sizes for DS; an outfit for my niece as part of her birthday present (she’ll be turning 3); a dress for our friends’ girl’s birthday (6yo); a t-shirt each for my twin nieces (they are 9 going on 21 :D) & a wee knitted dress for another friend’s baby (7 months) - they are just adopting her this week so wanted to send a small gift (they live in Englandshire). Got all of it for £54 but got 10% off plus free delivery for joining H&M club so it came to £49 in the end. Quite pleased with that.:j I am forward planning a bit as the birthdays aren’t until March but have bought big enough sizes that the kids will still fit into them (I hope). The dress for the 6 year old should be ok to worn as a tunic with leggings if too short as a dress, she’s a tall girl so hard to judge, will see what I think when it arrives.

dandy-candy you are so lucky that your curls hold, my hair is so thick & heavy that curls drop out really quickly unless I get them done professionally. I have heated rollers so like to play about with them for special occasions as think curls look so pretty.
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. Car loan 1 £14,073, Car loan 2 £16,000, 0% CC1 £195. Debt Free Diary to try & keep spending in check.
  • Morning - I'm not sure I actually belong here as I have flu-face and think I might have nits! How glam.

I seem to have developed sensitive skin too - what has happened to me? I'm falling to bits.

I'm going to go have a shower, put some make-up on, squirt myself with perfume and come back to read through the last few posts, I really, really need inspiration.
    Nits, at nearly 50!!
  • chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Luxury woman it’s funny you mention nits as I think I may have them. DD(5) has had then recently and my head is starting to itch.....
    Sashybo well done on keeping up with your yoga. Can you recommend any good videos online.
    Shanks welcome back. Keep posting, even if it isn’t about fabbing.
    Dandy candy if you got measured at m and s, they are notoriously bad at it, as they use the old method. Maybe you should try a proper lingerie shop.
    Savingfortomorrow I hope you achieve your goals this year.

I had to take a day off work yesterday as DD and OH have had a sickness bug this week. DD is fine now, but OH is still suffering.
  • I would agree with chanie that M&S are bad at bra measuring; they were still saying I was a B cup when everywhere else was telling me I was a DD! Plus at my local store (admittedly a small one) you can no longer just walk in and ask to be measured, you have to book it online. There's no signs up telling you that though and showing you where to do it, which I can imagine is off-putting for a lot of people. And yes, tons in the sale rails here too! I hear that their skincare range is good though, has anyone used that?

Flu face for me too luxury woman :( dry in some patches, oily in others, strange red blotches and a scaly neck...... attractive, eh?! I am so tired and fed up of feeling crap, the DC are playing up too - DS1 is still under the weather and just wants to cuddle up and watch TV most of the time, but DS2 is feeling ok and turning into a biting, scratching little monster. I know he's doing it for attention but I don't have any more attention to give, between looking after DS1, sorting out all the usual house stuff and trying to cope with my horrible barking, wheezing cough and the accompanying aches and pains. I completely forgot that we had a dentist appointment today - entirely my fault, I even confirmed it yesterday, but by today my fuzzy brain had deleted it - and now the dentist has said that he can't see us again as we'd cancelled previous appointments too. That made me absolutely sob earlier; silly I know as it wasn't a fantastic dentist but was fine for what we needed, and I did miss the appointment, but I did also call to apologise and offer to pay. Oh well, hopefully once I'm feeling ok again I will look for another.

sashy maybe your DS doesn't need all the cold remedies at the same time? (Or the same evening - might work dispersed through the day!). Mine usually have a steamy bathtime - warm bath with the door closed, window blinds down etc to make the room steamy and the snot flow, lovely! - followed by Calpol medicine if needed for bedtime, Calpol night stuff in their room and a wedge to prop them up if it helps. They don't need the wedge so much now they're older and can get comfy by themselves, but it did help when they were little and sniffled a lot during the night!
    Finally debt free!! March 2018 :j
  • sashybo
    chanie wrote: »
    Sashybo well done on keeping up with your yoga. Can you recommend any good videos online.

chanie I use Yoga with Adriene on YouTube - she has a channel with yoga videos for nearly everything you could think of from yoga for back pain to yoga for depression, the videos range from 10 mins to an hour. Her bedtime yoga routines are lovely & relaxing too.

She does 30 day challenges every January & I’m currently doing the new one, completed day 9 tonight. This 30 day challenge is called “True” - a lot of what she talks about during her videos is about mindfulness & taking care of yourself - she often says “Well done for showing up for yourself on the mat today.”

I like her manner, enjoy her perspective and find her instruction very clear and measured. A lot of yoga videos I’ve come across are all “Now do this, do that, up dog, down dog” and it’s too fast & confusing, especially if you’re new to the practice and don’t know the names of the poses. I started with her beginners yoga videos a few years ago & they just clicked with me. She’s all about integrating yoga into your everyday life & taking time out for yourself.

Hope your OH is feeling better soon & that you don’t catch anything.
    sashy maybe your DS doesn't need all the cold remedies at the same time? (Or the same evening - might work dispersed through the day!). Mine usually have a steamy bathtime - warm bath with the door closed, window blinds down etc to make the room steamy and the snot flow, lovely! - followed by Calpol medicine if needed for bedtime, Calpol night stuff in their room and a wedge to prop them up if it helps. They don't need the wedge so much now they're older and can get comfy by themselves, but it did help when they were little and sniffled a lot during the night!

Ruby the last few nights I’ve just had the plug in on for a couple of hours rather than all night and he seems to be sleeping better. We had the wedge in and although it eased the congestion he kept rolling off it & ending up upside down at the bottom of his cot. :eek: :rotfl: He does roll about a lot at night. This cold just doesn’t want to go away, he had quite a runny nose all day.

Sorry to hear about the dentist, that is a pain but I’m sure you’ll find another one.

My uniqlo order arrived today and the jeggings are nice and comfy. :j Thanks chanie. :beer: There wasn’t much between the two sizes but I went for the bigger size in the end as didn’t want the dreaded muffin top. :eek:

I had also ordered a white cotton blouse as had been looking for one as a cover up for hot weather (when abroad mostly as little hope of that in Scotland :rotfl:) as I tend to go from deathly white to bright red in seconds. I could never find a style I liked so when I saw this one I ordered it, again in 2 sizes and the smaller size was fine. I got a cotton crew neck long sleeved top as well and the quality is lovely for £9.90. So anyway I’ve already parcelled up the sizes that don’t fit & taken them to be sent back so half of my order will be refunded soon.
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. Car loan 1 £14,073, Car loan 2 £16,000, 0% CC1 £195. Debt Free Diary to try & keep spending in check.
  • sukeyboo
    sukeyboo Posts: 2,055 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    chanie wrote: »
    Luxury woman it’s funny you mention nits as I think I may have them. DD(5) has had then recently and my head is starting to itch.....

Is it just me or did anyone else scratch their head when they read this :rotfl:

sashybo - I have always fancied trying yoga but I am not the most flexible of people and that has put me off going to a class as I didn't want to look silly if I couldn't manage the exercises :o - I might have a look at the beginners videos that you have recommended.

maddiemay - whereabouts was the lingerie shop you mentioned in Dorset? I live in North Dorset and haven't managed to find a decent one to get myself measured.

LuxuryWoman & Rubyslippers - take care of yourselves and I hope you feel better soon :)

Not too much happening on the 'fabbing front' - I have been doing an exercise DVD about 4 times a week since the start of the New Year - I don't really need to lose any weight (3 or 4 lbs maybe) but need to 'tone up' somewhat - i have a bit of a post-Christmas flabby tummy which I would like to get rid of :D
  • Hi all, well Im flu face too. Developed a slight cough and yesterday at work that turned into body aching and constant coughing. In bed last night had a high temperature and my skin was sore to the touch. Thankfully I dont work thursday and friday so this morning feeling exhausted but not as bad.

My current temp work contract ends on the 24th Jan. I love the job, Ive been temping there as an account assistant since July. I took over a lady who had been there 9 years and she was retiring from being part time. I had a chance of being taken on, my boss is lovely but unfortunately as HB Fuller have took over the decision was made by them to let the temporary staff go.

So Im constantly applying for part time permanent and there is a slight chance I could be taken back on if they cant cope without me. So Im panicking a little as I like to have a work routine. My mortgage is paid off and my husband works full time but it means we have to cut back again if I dont get something soon.

Its surprising though how many roles advertise as part time hours yet state its 30 hours a week. I dont know what you ladies think about this, but part time to me is half of a normal week. I work 21.75 a week and previous to that I worked 25 hours a week.

Anyway Im sure I will get something soon. I watched a programme last night on BBC1 about looking good and they were testing skin creams and makeup on whether expensive is better than budget. £24 Laura Mercier mascara performed better than L'oreal yet both are made by L'oreal. The cheapest foundation performed better than the expensive.
    The nivea skin cream performed better moisturiser than expensive ones like clinique.

I have a real problem with foundations. I have freckly pink toned skin as Im fair and redheaded but I always find they dont rest dewy on my skin. I use a foundation brush but it never settles into the skin and looks flaky almost patchy. I get envious of the ladies who have olive toned skin and the foundation just sits naturally and they have a nice natural look.:o

Also been watching the news about plastic packaging, it annoys me that the government are not telling manufacturers to stop the plastic and create strong paper bags that can be recycled, like they do in america. All the plastic packaging needs to be scrapped. I remember going to the market with my mum in the 70s and you got all your veg, cheese etc eggs in cardboard and brown paper bags.

Since cutting out the wine and eating better and going to the gym I have lost the 4lb and back to 10stone. So if I continue I would like to get back down to 9.5 stone for my 5ft 6 in frame.:rotfl:
    Mortgage Free 2016Work Part Time:DHouse Hunting In France 2023
  • sashybo
    sukeyboo wrote: »
    sashybo - I have always fancied trying yoga but I am not the most flexible of people and that has put me off going to a class as I didn't want to look silly if I couldn't manage the exercises :o - I might have a look at the beginners videos that you have recommended.

You definitely should give it a go, Adriene is always talking about this false perception that yoga is only for flexible people - she says it’s called yoga “practice” for a reason. She also gives adjustments for the poses if you can’t quite reach or bend into them, so no excuses. :p

Sorry to hear about all the flu sufferers, touch wood I’ve not caught anything so far.

Butterflies the programme on BBC sounds interesting, might give it a watch whilst DS has his nap.

I have the problem of foundations looking orangey on my skin as I’m very pale. I usually find the L’Oreal foundations are a bit better & also use their CC cream but haven’t found my perfect shade so far. :(
  • chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    sashybo wrote: »
    chanie I use Yoga with Adriene on YouTube - she has a channel with yoga videos for nearly everything you could think of from yoga for back pain to yoga for depression, the videos range from 10 mins to an hour. Her bedtime yoga routines are lovely & relaxing too.

My uniqlo order arrived today and the jeggings are nice and comfy..

Thanks for the recommendation, I will definitely check out Adriene.

Pleased you were happy with your Uniqlo order. I do like the jeggings, although I've only worn the black ones so far.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure