PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Two)

Options

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,225 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    "Nice day" to me means blue skies/warm/calm. "Nice day" here means "It ain't blowin' a hooly or raining":cool::(

A nice day to me is upright, awake & breathing:D
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Extremely windy and raining here just got soaked coming home from work, too windy for a brolly.

Hot smoked salmon and ultimate mash, we're taken from freezer before work and I've prepped the carrots cauliflower and thrown in the last 2 sprouts.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Farway wrote: »

I think that one of the things I've realised since embarking on my Second Life in same lifetime (as I've come to think of it - ie since moving to Wales) is just how many things are "subjective" rather than "objective" (as I'd always thought of them as being).

One of the ways I look at things these days is "It's almost like embarking on a Second Life in the same lifetime in the same country" and it's been a bit-of-a-shock to realise just how different things can be as same person in same country/same lifetime!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    how many things are "subjective" rather than "objective" (as I'd always thought of them as being).

yes agree. A nice day to me is not having any boring moments in yet another day when I don`t see a soul. That was of my own making tbh, this flu bug is keeping me away from crowds plus I don`t want to spend any money. Sometimes the only way to see anyone is by going shopping as I am sure some of you know through hard experience

Veg soup in a bit plus the last slice of fruit cake from the freezer. Stuff is going down nicely in the freezer, only got lovely plain sweet scones left and one fat rascal plus some ciabatta slices, that is the bread/cake drawer. Ooh yes, that leek quiche was gorgeous, my pastry was so flaky and crisp and the taste!! one piece tomorrow and I froze 4, each on an enamel plate so it can go straight in the oven

My next veg box is a small one with 7 veg and no potatoes. not until next week. I have leeks and two whole chards on the allotment and lots of frozen ratatouille, it`ll be a good chance for me to make a bigger freezer dent. It got dark a bit later tonight :D and wasn`t half windy this afternoon, very loud. I am glad it won`t be bad tonight. I slept downstairs in the recliner twice this week, the wind upstairs wakes me and tbh is scary. I sleep like a log in the recliner
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    I think the thing about The Wind that I get concerned about in current house is I worry about whether I will be faced with hassle and expense having to repair the roof of the house. I've had one heck of a lot more hassle and expense than I ever expected since moving - and do worry about having any more.

But - realistically - I know my feelings about it (one way or the other) arent going to make any difference to what actually happens - and the roof has been okay so far (after some initial problems the vendor could/should have told me about - but you know how it goes - and they didnt...).

Know what you mean by being on your own. Life Proper in t'World was due to "resume as per normal" completely tomorrow and that aint going to happen now. But come the beginning of next week and "Yer on....and we're off - and back to it" thank goodness. Next thing to "look forward to" is a meal out with friend early next week - but one of my exercise classes resumes next week before then and I'm expecting (lots more) cheeky comments there from some of the younger members I'm getting to be friendly with...LOL.

On the food front - lunch was very late today and was just toast with seed spread. Starting in on dinner and that looks likely to be cba too (2 lots of sodders in one day later) - and so it's fruit with Oatly "cream" and "chocolate chips" at the moment and I'm contemplating what to have next. Eggs and cheese would be so handy right now - but the eggs were finished weeks ago and the Cheese Mountain in freezer is noticeably reduced and is currently sitting there in freezer frozen solid.

Conclusion = it takes more willpower (trans. = lot more willpower or lot "calmer/less sodders and hassles life") to focus on eating more the way one has decided to. I'll get there....

One of my New Year resolutions is "No more than one sodder dealt with per day - if I must...". So dealt with one in town today (successful outcome:T) and am in process of dealing with one re goods bought from elsewhere in the country (I'm doing a "Facebook shaming" battle with that firm at the moment - trying to get a refund for their faulty goods they sold me. Signs are good at the moment it's going to be resolved successfully.).
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:Me too - especially the upright;)

It's still raining with quite a bit of flooding causing problems in town nearer the shore:(.
    Son and his gf made it safely back to Cardiff thankfully, though it seems have been a bit of a harrowing drive until Preston where the weather eased a tad.

I got a Fitbit as a Christmas gift so spent this afternoon setting it up. I couldn't do this before as I don't have a smartphone so had to get a dongle to sync it with my laptop. It was seeming to take forever until I realised I had missed a cue to press "next" at one point. Tbh it's not something I would have thought to buy for myself but I'm really pleased to have one:).

Food has been more heathy today though I did succumb to some nice cheese on my breakfast toast. Lunch was scotch broth packed with veg and pulses and I was munching on satsumas and dried figs while I was setting the Fitbit up:D.
  • MrAPJI
    MrAPJI Posts: 112 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    :D You never know - there might be a few more meals you don't have to think about doing then.

Here's hoping :D

The wind has returned to my neck of the woods and the rain hasn't stopped all day. About 25 years ago I was held hostage in a French hotel. I had heard people talk about 'The Mistral', but didn't realise what a demon it was. It didn't stop blowing for 3 days and with gales approaching 115 mph, it was impossible to go outside. Fortunately the food was extremely good, but the downside was the proprietress. She seemed to take rather a shine to me and thought it ok to flirt outragously at every opportunity. I wondered why the chef kept giving me dirty looks (usually with a cleaver or knife in his hand) - he was the husband lol. Have to say that I didn't encourage this lady :) Boy was I glad to leave lol
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Still not eaten today. CBA to even bother yet.
    It's starting to hurt though, so stomach pains will drag me reluctantly to the kitchen soonish... even if it's just to grab two more biscuits :)
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,225 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Thanks again to Meg on the small jar tip for my yoghurt maker. It set me hunting at the back of the "bung it in" cupboard, and I found just the right jars, small ex apple sauce / mustard type. Now in the dishwasher and ready to go tomorrow once I have the milk

Dinner was gammon / eggs / HM chips. Beans & grilled tom would have gone well with it but I didn't think of that until too late

A 1/4 of my YS spotted Richard cake for pud. It is very nice, one I will buy again if I spot the YS
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Irenadler
    Irenadler Posts: 884 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I CBA'd to cook, so I did pasta in the microwave - ignore anything that says you can't, you can if your quantity is small enough. Cover with salted boiling water.
    Had it with a wee pot of stir-in sauce, boosted with a big glug of tomato ketchup. Lovely, and virtually no effort whatsoever.

I've never tried that - thanks Mcculloch29 and Caronc. Good tip!

Better day today:

Breakfast porridge oats same as before.
    Lunch - big jacket spud with coleslaw, side salad including raw carrot, scotch egg, and leftover stuffing. Glass of water
    Snack: plain mixed nuts (not roasted or salted), apple, tangerine.
    Tea - Brussels pate made with roasted garlic, on wholemeal and rye toast, water, bit naughty had some cookies n cream icecream.

Well, have to use up Xmas goodies before I can start eating healthier....

I have tremendous will power.

If it's in the house, I will eat it.....
    "...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains however improbable, must be the truth..."
    "Mastering a low budget lifestyle now, means you are set for life" quote by 'Miss Babs'

Dog's 'Pot o' Gold' = £23.85
    Household maintenance = 0
    Prolific Academic = £41.64
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills