State pension deferral...

I read somewhere on the forums here that given I am going to work until I'm 70, I could get my state pension deferred and that in doing so, I would be quids in. Can anyone give me more information on that, and how I go about it please?

Comments

• p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,784 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    It's not as good deal as it was - the rate of increase is lower than it was under the old rules, and you no longer have the option of getting a lump sum, just an increased weekly rate.

Your pension will increase by 1% for every nine weeks you defer.

You can defer by simply not claiming when you reach State Pension age.

Detaisl here;
    https://www.gov.uk/deferring-state-pension
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,013 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 8 September 2017 at 9:17PM
    It's now just over 5% for each year of deferral, instead of over 10% under the old scheme.

We thought about it (Mr S gets his State pension next year) but have decided to take it and save it - we may not get as much as 5%, but the money is ours.

We've already retired, and he will pay 20% tax on his State pension - but if you are still working and if the State pension will tip you into the 40% bracket then deferral may be worth thinking about.
  • If you can afford to defer the state pension it's worth considering....an index linked guaranteed 5% is pretty good.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,735 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    5.8% as opposed to the old 10.4%. Still not to be sniffed at. It depends to a certain extent on your other pension provision & obviously your life expectancy. But taking it now plus the full tax hit if you don't need it seems to me to be not such a great idea. But then I speak as one whose deferral is paying for their current lifestyle. There is no way that taking & saving could have provided what I now have - every 4 weeks for the rest of my hopefully very long life. Only a few months now to break even point!
  • It's now just over 5% for each year of deferral, instead of over 10% under the old scheme.

We thought about it (Mr S gets his State pension next year) but have decided to take it and save it - we may not get as much as 5%, but the money is ours.

We've already retired, and he will pay 20% tax on his State pension - but if you are still working and if the State pension will tip you into the 40% bracket then deferral may be worth thinking about.

I keep reading that the State Pension is not taxed, only the other pensions or savings, are taxed after the Personal Allowance rate is exceeded.
    Paddle No 21 :wave:
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 9 September 2017 at 11:42AM
    I keep reading that the State Pension is not taxed, only the other pensions or savings, are taxed after the Personal Allowance rate is exceeded.
    The State Pension is not taxed at source but your personal tax free allowance (for PAYE purposes) is reduced by that amount which, in some cases, can lead to a K code being applied to other income.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,343 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post

The state pension is paid gross but it is still taxable income.

See http://www.litrg.org.uk/tax-guides/pensioners-and-tax/how-my-tax-collected
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure