PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Serious fire safety defects in new build

Hi all,

First let me start by saying this isn't related to the recent events at Genfell Tower. This has been on going since the beginning of the year.

I moved in to a new build flat March 2016, it was signed off as fire safe and sold as safe to live in. Around January this year, it has now been discovered it does not have adequate fire safety. The hallway ceilings have been removed on all levels, and proposed work to remove all walls in the hallways, and then in each and every flat.

This is an outrageous case on NEGLIGENCE.

How can the building be signed off as safe and then a few months later be turned in to a building site.

Intrusive work is going to be performed in all flats soon.

What is the best way to go about this - to claim some form of compensation?

There is already a petition to halt all rent and service charge (these are shared ownership homes).

I don't think it's right I bought a new home and now it will have the walls and ceilings wrecked.

I want to pursue this either individually or collectively with the rest of the residents.

Comments

• lwhiteman88
    lwhiteman88 Posts: 106 Forumite
    Have they given any explanation as to why they are doing this?

It is quite peculiar and in the first instance I would be tempted to call your Local Authority building control and ask if they have been notified about the works. This element of work would involvement with building control.

You're are right in being worried about the fire safety as the halls will likely be fire protected lobbies and the plasterboard is part of the layering to give this fire performance.
  • smartest_smarty
    smartest_smarty Posts: 35 Forumite
    edited 7 July 2017 at 2:19PM
    They've admitted that it was signed off, but there are several fire safety defects, including how the walls were built, which allow smoke to travel freely through the block. So now they are proposing work to all floors, and all flats in the entire building.

It's extremely incompetent. Also, they said this was discovered at the beginning of the year, so they destroyed the hallway ceilings for emergency repair work, but since then nothing has actually been done. It's just been left like that. It doesn't seem to be an emergency at all. The housing association don't respond to emails either.

I bought 55% of the home, I think this will cause it to depreciate, especially with the hallways in the current state, and fire safety defects discovered, and proposed intrusive future work in the flat, no one would go near this place.
  • lwhiteman88
    lwhiteman88 Posts: 106 Forumite
    Have they given any explanation as to why they are doing this?

It is quite peculiar and in the first instance I would be tempted to call your Local Authority building control and ask if they have been notified about the works. This element of work would involvement with building control.

You're are right in being worried about the fire safety as the halls will likely be fire protected lobbies and the plasterboard is part of the layering to give this fire performance.

I should have re-read your post. I see that they are doing this to make it fire safe. I would certainly try and get an explanation from the contractor/developer as to what has failed and what they are doing to rectify and a programme of the work. You will likely have other provisions for fire safety and it may be deemed sufficient whilst the works are ongoing but there should have been some sort information given to you as to what the precautions are and if any temporary fire strategy is in place whilst the works are ongoing.
  • smartest_smarty
    smartest_smarty Posts: 35 Forumite
    edited 6 July 2017 at 2:30PM
    Of course doing it for safety is fine, and we were told fire strategy has changed from stay put to evacuation. With lots of wireless alarm sounders placed around the building.

Rectifying it for safety is fine, but it's the fact it was signed off as safe already and then sold to me, and now I have to go through ongoing work, turning it in to a building site again.

It's negligent and reckless, I want to know the best way to seek compensation for this individually or collectively for all residents affected.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    It's negligent and reckless, I want to know the best way to seek compensation for this individually or collectively for all residents affected.

Go and speak to a solicitor for advice, people on the internet can help, but you need proper legal advice.

And as a friendly suggestion, you might also want to get legal advice on the wisdom of publishing a statement which names a person or organisation and accuses them of 'negligence'.

You also need to separate faults during design and construction from the work to rectify those faults and make the building safer. People objecting to fire safety works on the grounds it inconveniences them are unlikely to get a great deal of sympathy. Objecting to the original failings you claim is a different matter.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,412 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Are you completely clear about who is paying for this work?

For example, has the original building contractor agreed that they are covering the cost?

If the Freeholder (Housing Association) is paying, are they planning to re-charge it to leaseholders as part of the service charge?

- If it was not built to spec, hopefully the building contractor should pay.
    - If it was badly specified/designed, hopefully the architect should pay
    - But if the Housing Association is simply improving/upgrading fire safety, leaseholders may have to contribute to that
  • societys_child
    societys_child Posts: 7,110 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Difficult to see how compensation will somehow help to make the place safer . .?
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Difficult to see how compensation will somehow help to make the place safer . .?

The "compensation" is the remedial work which is being done to make the place safer.

OP - this is neither negligent, reckless, nor worthy of compensation. Suggest you put your time and energy into learning what these terms mean, rather than believing every "where there's blame there's a claim" ambulance chasing ads you see on daytime TV.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    There could be a small element of compensation. Given they will need access to the flat for a guess - 3 days? you could ask for alternate accommodation for 3 days.
  • The OP does say " proposed work to remove all walls in the hallways, and then in each and every flat. "

Should the walls not be replaced and redecorated to the current standard (which may be in excess of the standard provided when the flats were bought) then yes, they should be compensated for that.

You'd have to wait first and see what they do though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure