Bank Switching DD's by charity each month

Hi Everyone,

Martin has advised to set up and meet the required numbered of DD's by setting up £1 per month payments to charities. Great idea but I can only find RSPCA and RNLI who have now upped. Can anyone list some others please. Thanks in anticipation.

Comments

• le_loup
    le_loup Posts: 4,047 Forumite
    £1 per month probably cost the charities most of that £1. Bad.
    (Whoops - sounds a bit like The Donald!)
  • MPN
    MPN Posts: 365 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    betman wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

Martin has advised to set up and meet the required numbered of DD's by setting up £1 per month payments to charities. Great idea but I can only find RSPCA and RNLI who have now upped. Can anyone list some others please. Thanks in anticipation.

There are other charities (mainly cancer ones), but from personal experience, when I set up £1 DD's in this way to do a bank switch for an incentive, quite rightly, many forum members thought this was not in good taste or morally the correct or responsible way to act. I totally agree and in hindsight would not of done this had I understood it was going to cost the charities in any way, so therefore, I donated a sum of money to each of the two charities I had used for the incentive so we all had some benefit in the end.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    betman wrote: »
    Martin has advised to set up and meet the required numbered of DD's by setting up £1 per month payments to charities.
    Can you please let us know where he says this - specifically the £1 bit.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • From the weekly email this week:

You need direct debits. You'll usually need direct debits to be switched - you could simply set up £1/mth direct debits to charity to do this (and give a little back too).
  • soulsaver
    soulsaver Posts: 5,966 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Lots of ideas here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5730177&page=19

Including the following which is a charity that welcomes £1 pm by DD! I have 3 of these running:
    soulsaver wrote: »
    OK there has been discussion on here about access to inexpensive Direct Debits, particularly in the aftermath of Tesco removing the facility.

Often suggested is to use charities and pay the minimum £1 monthly.

This has brought some criticism from posters who think this is abusing the charity as the DD costs more to set up & process than you're giving?

However there is a small charity in Preston, Lancs that runs rehabiltation courses for people to encourage them to fitness and recovery from heart attacks and/or heart surgery.

After benefitting from their service, I've continued to pay monthly for the last 14 years - now by DD :).

I've had a discussion with their administrator who confirms they are happy to allow on-going monthly £1 DDs for all.

Now note, this may be even better than you first thought: This is for their lottery that pays out £1000 top prize each week, with many smaller prizes, too.

The lottery is run weekly and is £1 per entry, however if you decide you want to keep to the min £1 contribution you'll be put in 1 lottery draw PER MONTH.

If you want to pay more, you can in multiples of £1.

So... download & print the application - if you want the £1 monthly option you'll need to delete the weekly options, and manually write on that you want the £1 per month option as it isn't one of the default options.

She confirms for me they already do this for members that request it.

If you want more than 1 DD for different bank accounts, she confirms that's ok too - but you'll need to download & fill in an application form per each bank account.

http://www.heartbeat-nwcc.org.uk/lottery/

PS I have no connection with Heartbeat, other than as a previous recipient of their rehabilitation courses and as a regular contributor.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    From the weekly email this week:

You need direct debits. You'll usually need direct debits to be switched - you could simply set up £1/mth direct debits to charity to do this (and give a little back too).

Thanks. People better make the most of it while it lasts then. If Martin is promoting it in the email it is only a matter of time before the remaining charities with a £1 minimum decide they need to up that figure.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,550 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    There are however quite a few charities that advertise to donate £2 per month.

I am happy to do this (for a several- fortunately have managed to find other DDs) but they do also get GiftAid from me which ups the donation.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,29 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=163 £86 spent!!!
  • aroominyork
    aroominyork Posts: 2,826 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    MPN wrote: »
    ...quite rightly, many forum members thought this was not in good taste or morally the correct or responsible way to act. I totally agree and in hindsight would not of done this...
    bowlhead's post #3 at this link states it excellently.

Can someone please post a link to Martin's 'advice'? He needs to be brought to task about this.
  • dales1
    dales1 Posts: 230 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Chockydavi has quoted from Martin's weekly email, higher up this thread.
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    I would not worry I did a while ago contact a few charities to try and find out what the cost of direct debit processing were this was on a thread several months ago here in any case what I remember it worked out about 15p on average so a £1 direct debit but still give them 85p this does not include across the cost of admin etc which I don't know if the charity has those costs
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure