PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Can I terminate my tenant's tenancy early for having an unauthorised pet?

Comments

• Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 10 July 2017 at 10:18PM
    I've always wondered how a dog's DNA is captured in its poo.....but I digress

Faeces contain cells from the intestine as well as red and white blood cells, all of which can provide DNA.

However, you would probably need quite a fresh sample, and to ensure it wasn't contaminated or denatured by anything.

Ps. There are full-blooded wolves in Scotland, I believe.
    Not that that's got anything to do with anything.
    Much.

Plus, not knowing one's NI number kind of suggests quite a young person, I would have thought.
    Do you know, I can actually recite mine from memory! Wow!
    Did you know that the first two letters are code for the year/time period you were born in?
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• amibovvered
    amibovvered Posts: 461 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Strikes me you need to take some time off work & do a little physical investigating.....like knocking on doors of agents.

Seems your tenants & their dog is now the least of your problems

Couldn't he just get his butler to do all that sort of stuff? :rotfl:
    I want my sun-drenched, wind-swept Ingrid Bergman kiss, Not in the next life, I want it in this, I want it in this

Use your imagination, or you can borrow mine!
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    This thread is the gift that keeps on giving.
  • Riggyman
    Riggyman Posts: 185 Forumite
    I'm only awarding 6/10 so far. With the addition of a bag for life, potential vampire sightings, allegations of satanism and the running of a petting zoo as a business from the premises, I'm confident this thread could achieve at least 9/10.
  • fairy_lights
    fairy_lights Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    Riggyman wrote: »
    I'm only awarding 6/10 so far. With the addition of a bag for life, potential vampire sightings, allegations of satanism and the running of a petting zoo as a business from the premises, I'm confident this thread could achieve at least 9/10.
    If a re-gifted chocolate orange gets brought in to play we might have a winner
  • SuboJvR
    SuboJvR Posts: 481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    This is not a helpful programme!! My agent has disappeared and with him the damage deposit!

So the deposit isn't in a protected scheme?

Oh boy.

https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/tenancy_deposits/tenancy_deposit_compensation_claims

Your tenants will be entitled to claim compensation for this.
  • Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Commercial Union is the way to go.
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• Oh dear...

I don't think that this OP did their homework before becoming a LL.
  • WibblyGirly
    WibblyGirly Posts: 470 Forumite
    I must admit this thread has helped me! I'm on the other side of this landlords issue in that I'm trying to find a house to rent that will allow me to have my cat but so many say no pets that I was debating on just not telling them about him as I'll only need the property for 12 months.
    It's not nice of me to lie about my pet but so few properties allow pets and we are good tenants, its sad so many landlords won't allow a pet. We got ours from a rescue and there is no way I'm taking him back to one.
  • SuboJvR
    SuboJvR Posts: 481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I must admit this thread has helped me! I'm on the other side of this landlords issue in that I'm trying to find a house to rent that will allow me to have my cat but so many say no pets that I was debating on just not telling them about him as I'll only need the property for 12 months.
    It's not nice of me to lie about my pet but so few properties allow pets and we are good tenants, its sad so many landlords won't allow a pet. We got ours from a rescue and there is no way I'm taking him back to one.

Just be sure to put the property back how you found it. This may mean forking out for a professional clean :) And be mindful of property visits - let the cat out/hide food bowls :rotfl: Cats who toilet outside don't really give themselves away with smell in a property they live in.

A lot of the time it is that landlords aren't educated about the reality of what 'damage' a pet may cause, it's easier to just blanket say no. Your rescue cat may be the most low maintenance cat in the world but another person may have a destructive kitten who rips a furnished place to shreds!

Another thing is that the agent may just have it as a standard "no pets" on their adverts and such and in the contract. Ours did that. They also manage next door, who have had a cat from the day they moved in. Unsure if they ever sought permission but it's now two years later.

It has always put me off actually getting a pet whilst renting, as I feel that is perhaps taking the mick, but to have a much loved family pet and then need to find a home is very different.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure