Taking annual leave on-site, on-call, and general boundary issues with employer

Comments

• duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    SillyOne wrote: »
    Regarding a phone in the exam - yes, as you say, mobiles are banned and have to be put in a locker etc. The number I gave was the land line for the exam venue itself, that someone from the venue could contact the exam invigilator to pull a candidate out of the test - intended for genuine emergencies like wife about to give birth I imagine!

More fool you for abusing the facility. What you describe is NOT an emergency.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • duchy
    We all like to think we are indispensable but the reality is if you were knocked down by a bus tomorrow , they'd manage. It's a job not a vocation or a calling. Time to start treating it as such. No one ever said on their deathbed "I wish I'd spent more time at work"

• Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,936 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Doshwaster wrote: »
    There are some strange people who actually like being in touch with work while supposedly being on holiday as they can't cope with no knowing what was going on.

Or they actively hope that work will call them away so they can get away from their other half or screaming kids for a while.
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    If you are so important to them then you dictate terms. What are they going to do, sack you?

Why on earth are you concerned about being seen as "stroppy"? That's just foolish. If you carry on like this you have only yourself to blame.

You have good options available:

1. Leave and get the better job tomorrow. Your co-workers wouldn't cross the road to help you out , trust me.
    2. Tell them exactly what you are prepared to do and when, and if they don't like it, then resign and get the better job tomorrow.

Your employers are laughing at you behind your back. So are your co-workers. They know they can cope without you, it's just easier to make you do all the rubbish than do it themselves. They don't think you are amazing and wonderful and essential, they think you are a mug.

Amen to that. I'll be the first to admit I'm one of those "mugs".

The week before last I was looking forward to 11 days off work. It's been just over four years since I last had more than three days off work as holiday.

On the first two days I had a phone call from one of the managers asking if I was able to go in (despite telling them beforehand I was in London).

Because I've said "yes" that many times they come to me first because they know a) I'm a mug and b) that other people I work with will say "no".

I wasn't funny on my return to work but I did communicate that I wasn't happy with being called during my time off.

*Hopefully* they'll realise I'm not going to bow down and bend over backwards to please them; as rightly pointed out above they'll a. manage and b. the world won't stop turning.

In my last job I spent nearly 10 years being a doormat. Those days are gone OP and it is OK to say no sometimes.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • There's a old adage in the military, "Never give an order that you think won't be obeyed".

Employers tend not to ask people to do things unless they have a reasonable expectation that people will say yes. If you make it clear that you are not likely to say yes, they will ask someone who they think will.

If you are the person they think will say yes, they will ask you all the time. They won't be "fair". It's not in their interest to try and be "fair".

If you make it clear enough that you are likely to refuse, then the chances are you will very rarely have to refuse, because you won't get asked in the first place.
  • OP, you need to realise that you are not indispensable, and that your workplace can survive without you. Try being a bit more assertive. By that, I don't mean bolshy. I just mean speaking in a confident manner (practice in front of a mirror) and being firm about not being contacted when on annual leave. '

'I'm sorry, I won't be available as I am on annual leave. My phone won't be on because I am in an exam and phones are not allowed.' - practice saying it. Sounds daft, but if you do need to tell your employer that you can't be on call, you will know what to say and will hopefully sound confident.

Many years ago, I read a book about being assertive. It was 'A Woman in Your Own Right' by Ann Dickson. I can't remember much about it (it's over 25 years ago!), but I did learn how to appear more confident even when I was quaking inside. I think it's out of print now, but your local library or bookshop should have books on assertiveness.
  • SillyOne
    SillyOne Posts: 96 Forumite
    theoretica wrote: »
    Can you suggest a solution that would work and you be happy with? Extra pay if they call you in/cancel holiday on short notice? Or a pay rise? More training for other staff? Picking and choosing and only doing the interesting bits of the job and those others can't? If you are that vital to the business surely they have noticed.

I've tried negotiating (or asking) and just get nowhere, the official line is I'm 'equivalent' (wrong word but I can't think of the right one!) to the other people that in theory could step in and are already paid slightly less as I have more seniority, but in reality they don't have training as we're in a constant cycle of deadlines so no time for cross-training/delegation so it falls to me. They have noticed and are probably **ing themselves in the background but can't admit that to higher ups!
  • SillyOne
    duchy wrote: »
    We all like to think we are indispensable but the reality is if you were knocked down by a bus tomorrow , they'd manage.

True, and the business isn't "life or death" (e.g. medics) by any means, but the fact is that immediate (monthly) deadlines wouldn't be met and the company would have a massive loss of revenue as a result, if I were hit by the proverbial bus!
  • SillyOne
    If you are the person they think will say yes, they will ask you all the time.

It has to be me, as I'm the only person in a position to be able to do what's needed. (Not that I am any kind of 'Messiah'!! - but that's the situation we are in.)

Why aren't others able to step in, one might ask... a combination of not paying enough to get the right people in the first place, and lack of opportunity to train people due to always being in "crisis" mode.
  • duchy
    I learned a long time ago that if you say yes all the time employers don't appreciate it they just take you for granted.

Say no once in a while , or say yes with conditions, eg can you cover. X tomorrow morning ....no but I can cover it in the afternoon. Either they'll find someone else to do it or accept your conditional offer.

I had a boss who gave the people who said no a terrible time but those who said yes only when it suited them he paid better and respected more. How much you value yourself has a direct correlation to how much someone else values you , whether it's a boss or a lover.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family